View Full Version : Deploy a program from .NET 2003 to Smartphone 2003

quangnn81
05-19-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi,

I am a newbie to Smartphone. I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003 to develop on Smartphone 2003. I can deploy my program to the emulator but not the phone. If I using Windows Explorer to copy .exe file from my PC to my phone, it works, but can I deploy my program as the way it should be done?

I also have another problem. When I connected to a server using GPRS on the phone using TPC/IP protocol, there's an error: "Could not find resource assembly". Can anyone explain the error for me :( I have checked the Internet connection and it's working properly.

Sorry for asking too much, I still have a problem: If I am phone user, I just want to run a setup.exe on the PC and suppose that my phone is connected to the PC, the setup.exe will install everything on my phone.
I tried to add a setup to my Smartphone Application but it did not work.

Thank you in advance for your help

Kris Kumar
05-20-2004, 01:55 AM
Welcome to the world of SP development.

I am a newbie to Smartphone. I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003 to develop on Smartphone 2003. I can deploy my program to the emulator but not the phone. If I using Windows Explorer to copy .exe file from my PC to my phone, it works, but can I deploy my program as the way it should be done?

When you try to deploy the program to the phone using Visual Studio, do you get any error message. What does it say? Or does Visual Studio freeze or give no error message? Look for the error message in the Output Window inside VS.NET.

And trust me, getting VS.NET to deploy apps to the phone while debugging at times is not easy. At times, restarting the machine helps. The other thing I believe I read in a newsgroup is that ActiveSync must be installed first and then VS.NET.

I also have another problem. When I connected to a server using GPRS on the phone using TPC/IP protocol, there's an error: "Could not find resource assembly". Can anyone explain the error for me :( I have checked the Internet connection and it's working properly.

Maybe this link can help...looks like someone else was having a similar problem. Also I am guessing that this is because you havent been able to deploy the application through VS.NET. The first time you deploy the application through VS.NET it is 'supposed to' copy your application and all the dependencies. Since you manually copied your application, there might be some assemblies or dlls that are needed by your application and not on your phone.

Sorry for asking too much, I still have a problem: If I am phone user, I just want to run a setup.exe on the PC and suppose that my phone is connected to the PC, the setup.exe will install everything on my phone.
I tried to add a setup to my Smartphone Application but it did not work.

Again, do you get any error message. Does the Setup.exe give any error on your Windows desktop. Or do you see anything on you phone. Usually once the Setup.exe pushes the .cab to your phone, you will see couple of installer screens on the phone, do you see any activity on the phone.

Hope this helps :-)

quangnn81
05-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Thank you Kris very much.

For my 1st problem: There is a MessageBox showed: "There were deployment errors. Continue - Yes/No"

If I choose No, then it returns nothing. If I choose Yes, it show the Error Task Window with nothing inside :( and then nothing happened.

My 2nd problem: I dont use any library that need Interop, just the basic Namespaces/Classes from .NET like System.Net.Socket for the connection.

My 3rd problem: may be it's the result of my 1st problem. When I deploy to the Emulator (provided with the Smartphone 2003 SDK), I got the screen saying that the cab file is successfully installed as Kris said and the application run properly (oh, I wish it could run like this on the actual device). But because I manually copy the application to the phone, there is no cab file.

These are the things that .NET offer me to deploy to
- Smartphone 2003 Emulator (Radio required)
- Smartphone 2003 Emulator (Virtual Radio) -> I use this to deploy my program

- Smartphone Device -> I got the deployment error here and dont know why?

quangnn81
05-20-2004, 08:21 AM
and Kris, I dont see any link in your post, can you review?

for my case, I did install .NET before ActiveSync :(

Kris Kumar
05-20-2004, 12:14 PM
and Kris, I dont see any link in your post, can you review?

for my case, I did install .NET before ActiveSync :(

Oops..

http://www.error-bank.com/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework/40948_Thread.aspx

quangnn81
05-21-2004, 04:16 AM
Thanks Kris, I got it

lhendrick1
09-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Pardon me for barging in here, but I was looking at the documentation that comes with the 2003 SmartPhone SDK and it states in the read me file that the normal build function is not to be used for deployment to actual smartphone. There is a separate program, to ber executed from command line interface that does the build. Take a look at the documentation. If you cannot find what I am refering to I will take another look and post the actual material here. Good Luck.

Larry :D

ellisonb
04-16-2005, 09:02 AM
There is article on MSDN that explains how to deploy an app created in VS2003.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnppcgen/html/sp_2003_app_deploy_demyst.asp

It's a bit of a complicated process but it works.