View Full Version : Sendo May Actually Ship Something

David McNamee
05-16-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4943.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4943.html</a><br /><br /></div>Ahhh, Sendo. For those of you coming late to the game, Sendo was <i>supposed </i>to have been the first company to market with a Windows-powered Smartphone. For reasons the <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4172&highlight=sendo">legal system</a> will have to decide, Sendo just could not deliver. Sendo sued Microsoft and switched to Nokia's camp to deliver a Series 60-based smartphone (small 's' :wink: ). The Sendo X still has not been released, but is promised to be here in "weeks not months."<br /><br />If memory serves, Sendo made the switch to Nokia software in the fall of 2002. And they <i>still </i>don't have their first smartphone to market? I think this lends credence to any argument that Sendo's failure to deliver a Windows-powered Smartphone was due, in large part, to their own short-comings. What do you think?

TANKERx
05-17-2004, 12:34 AM
I think that Sendo has had a difficult time balancing the budget after being so majestically shafted by Microsoft and so, not only have they had to start from scratch with a new OS but they will also have made sure that they dotted every 'i' and crossed every 't' in order to make sure that Nokia doesn't do the same to them (and anybody with any corporate experience will know how long this kind of thing can take).

When the Sendo Smartphone (based on the Series60 Smartphone platform - and as far as I'm concerned, with a Capital 'S' because Symbian is the Daddy) is released, I am sure it will be a killer. I say this because I've recently been amazed at how far the Symbian platform has come along...

Having not used a Series60 phone for some time (my last being a 7650), I was flabbergasted at my mate's 6600. The UI (which has always been easier to use and more stable than Micorosft's but not as pretty) was so beautiful that the only word to decribe it is elegant, and other things like the Night Mode in the camera are simply outstanding. I understand that Sendo is adding even more new technology as well (new things take time, especially if you don't want a bug-ridden OS that will need firmware updates and OS upgrades to fix ;-) ), so I think that the time this is taking is reasonable with all things considered.

After all, after being shafted by one massive corporation, you're going to do your best to make sure you're not shafted again..... aren't you?

ShivShanks
05-17-2004, 06:56 AM
I think that Sendo has had a difficult time balancing the budget after being so majestically shafted by Microsoft

Excuse me ... What proof do you have that Microsoft shafted Sendo? I certainly haven't seen any conclusive proof anywhere of such a thing. This one will have to be decided by the courts and I think its very presumptious of you to assume that Sendo was all goody two shoes with no fault on its part.

TANKERx
05-17-2004, 10:09 AM
You're right that I don't have any evidence and I doubt that Sendo is totally innocent...

And maybe I should have considered Microsoft's exemplary record in the way it deals with its partners before forming an opinion. :roll:

I just remembered something..... I did!

:lol:

DubWireless
05-17-2004, 11:34 AM
I think this lends credence to any argument that Sendo's failure to deliver a Windows-powered Smartphone was due, in large part, to their own short-comings. What do you think?

not sure you'd get the top Sherlock Holmes award with a deduction like that ;)

Sendo X was a pretty impressive handset, although a bit larger than expected from it's pics - having had some time with the handset it looks like it will be one of the most feature packed Series 60 handsets yet to be introduced, perhaps they were delayed due to the amount of extra bundled applications and features (over the standard Series 60 OS)

anyhow it's a rough time for any company introducing a new handset - you get grief when you test too much as it takes longer to market or you get grief when you don't test enough and issues appear after you get to market - and even after testing i'm sure we all know some handsets that suffer with both!