View Full Version : Low IPSM internal memory on MPX200

ar25un
05-13-2004, 10:28 PM
I have an mpx200 on orange and recently tried to install a game which i had obtained (toki tori or something). Everything was going fine until it got to the section when u do stuff on the phone itself. Then it went Kaput, crashed and I had to reboot. :cry: Somethings never change with microsoft.

All well until i tried installing some other program and i realize that it tells me that i am low on the IPSM internal memory. Checking it, i realise that I only have 1.5 megs left... not that there was much in the 1st place ( only 10!) but still, i don't have any programs installed. So i can only assume that the bad install has left behind some files and is blocking up my memory. I cant seem to install any new programs any more due to this.

CAn any one suggest any thing to help me clear up/ get more memory pls. Any help greatly appreciated. Or is a hard reset possible. But is it true that hard resets are fraught with trouble.

Greatly appreciate any help.

encece
05-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Check in IPSM/Windows/AppMgr/Install folder.
Failed installations are usually still in there. Delete all the files and try again.

Do you have alot of progs installed on your phone? If so, install everything you can on your SD card.

Kris Kumar
05-14-2004, 02:18 AM
I havent seen this error. But if it is because of the phone's memory getting filled with un-installed CAB files (which is possible), it can be verified and confirmed by checking out the following folder on your phone.

On your phone, using a file explorer browse to the "IPSM\Windows\AppMgr\Install" and delete all the CAB files there. Pocket PC/Smartphones store the CAB file in this location temporarily till they are installed.

Note: You will have to use an explorer that runs on the phone like Resco or Smart Explorer. You will not be able to see the contents of this folder when you are viewing it using Desktop Computer and ActiveSync - My computer - Mobile Device....

Kris Kumar
05-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Do you have alot of progs installed on your phone? If so, install everything you can on your SD card.

Good Tip..

ar25un
05-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Again, thanks very much people the help is certainly much appreciated. With ur help, i managed to find the offending file left behind from the failed install and recuperated about one meg :) .

[quote=encece]Do you have alot of progs installed on your phone? If so, install everything you can on your SD card.

ermm that is true regarding the software that came with the phone, i deleted them and reinstalled them on my sd card freeing up a further meg :D .

That kinda lets me install stuff now without any qualms but i still only have 3.8 out of the 10.3 megs available :? . Is that normal mayb due to the requirements of the o/s and any non removable software or can there be any more files lurking around maliciously :?: .

Again thanks for the help peeps.

Kris Kumar
05-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Check out the following...

Email attachments.

Check the following folder. And you can safely delete the files in that folder. But check the size of the folder.

"IPSM\MAPI\Attachments"

Also do you install and uninstall a lot of programs. I mean install the trial versions and then uninstall them. You should also check the "IPSM\Program Files\" for application folders that are no longer installed on your phone and delete those folders. Some uninstallers may not do a good clean up job.

Compare the Settings->Remove Programs list against the "Program Files" folder list. Delete the folders for the apps that are not listed in the "Remove Programs" list.

Note: Just to be on the safe side. Instead of Deleting it, either MOVE the folders to the SD card or to your desktop computer.

3. Internet Explorer: Clear out the Browser cache using Menu->Options->Memory->Temporary Files->Clear