View Full Version : Must Have Features For Any Smartphone Application

Mike Temporale
05-13-2004, 10:00 PM
I spent a fair amount of time over the last couple weeks testing some pretty cool applications for the <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5557&amp;highlight=">Handango Champion Awards,</a> and it was a lot of fun. With everything said and done, I feel that, although these are great applications, there are some key features that they all should have to make the end users experience much more pleasing. <br /><!> <br /> <b>Smart Filter/Search</b> - If your application has a large list of items, the application should support a smart filter feature in the same manner as your phones Contact filter. At the very least you should support page up and down along with scrolling. Although a smart filter is preferred.<br /><br /> <b>100% Clean Uninstall</b> - When the application is removed, all files and folders should be removed. <i>This includes the empty application folder.</i> Also, if there are any settings or data files created by the application, the user should be prompted to keep or remove these.<br /><br /> <b>Sounds &amp; Music</b> - If your application talks, sings, beeps, or chirps, please check the active profile settings before making any noise. If the profile is silent, then the application should also be silent.<br /><br /> <b>Registration Codes</b> - If your registration code is all numeric, then please set the input type to numeric and not mixed. The best solution I saw for this was when applications prompted you on your desktop during the install for the registration code.<br />Do these sound reasonable? I'm sure there are more features, but I feel these changes would offer a more pleasant user experience.