View Full Version : canadians and thier smartphones

groan
05-12-2004, 04:29 PM
hello,
I currently own a samsung 540 (non smart) and an ipaq 1940.
I plan to get rid of these and replace them with a smartphone.

What i want to know is what are you canadians using now?
what are your plans to upgrade?
how did you acquire your phone? Did you purchase a non-network phone, have it unlocked and activate it with Rogers or Fido?

Also, i do have some criteria.
I don't care if it has a camera.
I want a unit that would allow me to type in notes, so a qwerty or full keyboard would be nice (software or hard will do)
synch with my outlook.
wifi and blootooth preferably.
I am willing to consider either windows or symbian, but would like an up-to-date OS.

any info or recommendations would be WONDERFUL!

Thanks,

Mike Temporale
05-12-2004, 09:49 PM
What i want to know is what are you canadians using now?

I think you'll find that most of us are using different devices. It's just a personal preference really.

what are your plans to upgrade?

My plans? well, I haven't fully decided. It will be one of the new Moto phones. Either the 220, or the 100.

how did you acquire your phone? Did you purchase a non-network phone, have it unlocked and activate it with Rogers or Fido?

The best/easiest way to get a phone is to buy an unlocked phone. You can buy buy a network carriers phone and have it unlocked but no network carriers around here carry them. So you have to buy it from a US carrier and without a contract.

As for getting a phone activated, as long as you choose a GSM phone, just take your existing SIM card, drop it in and away you go. If you don't have a SIM card already I would sign up with either carrier and pick their free/cheapest phone. Then put the phone in a box on the shelf, and go to town with your cool new Smartphone. :D

Also, i do have some criteria.
I don't care if it has a camera.
I want a unit that would allow me to type in notes, so a qwerty or full keyboard would be nice (software or hard will do)
synch with my outlook.
wifi and blootooth preferably.
I am willing to consider either windows or symbian, but would like an up-to-date OS.

Well, currently no Smartphone has WiFi or a built in keyboard. Smartphones do not have a touch screen, this makes a software based keyboard a little hard to use. :wink: I have no knowledge of Symbian phones, so I can't give you any details on those. All Windows Mobile Smartphones will sync with Outlook.

Sounds to me like the best phone for your requirements would be the I-Mate2 or Mio 8390. (not sure if the Mio has Bluetooth???)

Does that help?

groan
05-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Mike, Thanks for your reply.

i use my PPC for note taking and i find typing on a phone can be a pain.

I don't want one of those PPC/Phone things as they are too large. The upcoming MPx by motorola looks nice and I would be willing to use that.

I am curious how people using smartphones add notes to thier phone? do you really use the standard phone keyboard and T9 typing?

I am considering teh Symbian OS because it is an option. I don't ahve preference over one and will give each of them an equal chance.

Symbian has quite a following and the newest OS is very PDA like.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Mike Temporale
05-13-2004, 02:34 PM
I don't want one of those PPC/Phone things as they are too large. The upcoming MPx by motorola looks nice and I would be willing to use that.

The MPx is a PPC Phone Edition. It's just the smallest and best designed to-date. :wink:

I am curious how people using smartphones add notes to thier phone? do you really use the standard phone keyboard and T9 typing?

Keypad, T9, or a plugin keyboard. Depends on the situation.

I am considering teh Symbian OS because it is an option. I don't ahve preference over one and will give each of them an equal chance.

Symbian has quite a following and the newest OS is very PDA like.

I want my PDA to be PDA like, and my phone to be a phone. It's always a good idea to look at everything when you are thinking of spending this kind of money. Just make sure it does everything you want it to do now and in the future.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Not a problem. Glad I could be of help.