View Full Version : Pocket Streets and AIM for the I600

coaldat6
05-07-2004, 04:38 AM
I tried installing Pocket Streets off my Microsoft Streets and Trips 2004 CD onto my new I600 and although ActiveSync said it installed, the I600 just didn't accept it.

Microsoft's site explained that pocket streets on the CD is meant for Pocket PCs, but not for Smartphones and that I can get the smartphone edition only from Handango.

But after installing the HKCR fix from Samsung's website, does anyone thing it makes sense to attempt installing it? (I'd hate to buy it for $30 after already owning the Streets and Trips CD)

And one other thing; is there any free way to use AIM on the I600, or do I have to buy a general IM App for that.

Thx

P.S. I spent a lot of money on the I600 and i'm annoyed at the prospect of having to pay more for every little peice of software that runs on it. It'd be nice if Verizon treated us to something other than Demos.

encece
05-08-2004, 02:17 AM
Agile Messenger works great for AIM IM-ing. And per your requirements, it is free.

No, the PocketPC version of PocketStreets does not work on the Smartphone and I, like you, do not understand why MS decided to charge for it. But that's the way it is at the moment. I like Mapopolis better anyway, which is free, but you have to pay for maps.

There is alot of great freeware for the Smartphone. But you'll have to break out the Credit Card once in a while to get certain functionality.

Good Luck.

woodenshoes
06-24-2004, 05:23 PM
I've got it working on my i600 with the following direction:

If you ran the Pocket Streets for Smartphone setup it will have installed the required CAB directly to your PC. Then the rest of the setup fails to complete, so it never copies the CAB to your mobile device. All you need to do is copy the CAB over manually, and run it once from the handset itself.

You’ll find the file(s) you need “PocketStreets.SP2002Arm.CAB” & “PocketStreets.SP2002Arm.ini”on your PC at:

”c:\program files\microsoft activesync\microsoft pocket streets for smartphone”

1. Open ActiveSync and click Explore (your Smartphone should be connected to the PC at this time). Navigate to a location on the Phone where you can copy the files to. For example, if you have an additional storage card put into the Motorola MPx200 Smartphone, you should see a folder called "Storage Card". On the MPx200 running Windows Mobile 2002, you can also navigate to the IPSM\My Documents folder. You will want to copy the PocketStreets.SP2002Arm.CAB file and the PocketStreets.SP2002Arm.ini file to the same folder on the Smartphone.

2. Once this is done, using the Smartphone, navigate to the folder where you copied the files to (using File Manager) and click on the .CAB file you just copied. The program should now install with no problem and you should also get a dialog saying that the installation was completed.

Good luck.

coaldat6
06-28-2004, 05:45 AM
Streets and Trips 2002 and 2003 don't come with the smartphone version - that's what's so frustrating... The version you mention installing - did you buy it seperately, or did you find it on a Streets and Trips CD?

-M

woodenshoes
06-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Streets and Trips 2004 is what I used