View Full Version : AT&T's Data Plan - Unlimited If You Stay In the Limits

David McNamee
04-27-2004, 04:00 PM
They're losing money hand over fist, and are hemorrhaging subscribers. Now we may have to add English comprehension to the list of AT&T Wireless' woes. In the recent thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=37863) about AT&T Wireless' new $49.99 "Unlimited" PDA data plan, aristoBrat posted some of the fine print of this plan. Of the many rules and restrictions weighing down this plan, we find this gem:

"AT&T Wireless further reserves the right to move a subscriber from the Mobile Internet Unlimited PDA Plan to the standard $79.99 monthly unlimited Mobile Internet Data Plan, without notice, if the subscriber uses more than 100 megabytes of data in each of two consecutive months."

So really this plan is not, in fact, unlimited. It's a 100MB plan. Now 100MB is a lot of data. Depending on your e-mail, web surfing, streaming media and instant messaging habits, though, it could be easily reached. I'm sure there are a few people reading this post that are going to hit the 100MB mark this month :wink:

I have to say that I am very disappointed in AT&T Wireless trying to do this. If what you're offering is a 100MB plan, then call it that. You'll get much more respect from your current and prospective customers. You'll also end up with fewer people on hold to your call centers wanting to know why they've been charged an extra $30. By advertising an "unlimited" plan and then forcing them to another plan if they go over a certain limit, you risk angering your high-use, high-revenue customers. And who do you think other customers come to for recommendations?

To view all the restrictions on the plan, visit AT&T Wireless mobile Internet plans page, scroll to the bottom and click on "Terms and Conditions."

possmann
04-27-2004, 06:12 PM
:rotfl:

Did they get their marketing department form the old Palm marketing team? :twak:

I haven't seen this much self damge since the Palm IPO days - :lol:

ShivShanks
04-27-2004, 08:34 PM
:rotfl:

Did they get their marketing department form the old Palm marketing team? :twak:

I haven't seen this much self damge since the Palm IPO days - :lol:

Wait till you see their new ad campaign where they are trying to take on Verizon in terms of good coverage claims. The tag line goes like "How many bars do you have?" LOL! The implication is that AT&T gives you full 4 bar coverage everywhere. Guess what this is going to do to infuriated customers, who are already frustrated with AT&T, and then they see them making tall claims like this.

AT&T is pathetically desperate these days. There was this news story I just read a while ago which said that if the current rate of customer loss continues then they will lose 40% of its customer base by the end of the year. Apparently many are even happy to pay to get out of contracts to move away from AT&T Wireless. And analysts say that if this continues then Cingular will surely revalue the price its paying for AT&T Wireless. I wonder what the real AT&T thinks about such a massive loss of goodwill for its brand name. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and step in. After all how many people know that AT&T Wireless has little to do with AT&T other than the brand name.

nobody
04-27-2004, 09:28 PM
I am totally disgusted by AT&T Wireless :evil: $49.99 is a lot of money already.

Jason Dunn
04-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Wow, talk about a bait and switch! Very, very scummy thing to do. :evil:

Jon Westfall
04-28-2004, 01:32 AM
AT&T really has an uncanny ability to shoot itself in the foot, now doesn't it?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

ShivShanks
04-28-2004, 03:39 AM
AT&T really has an uncanny ability to shoot itself in the foot, now doesn't it?

They should be ashamed of themselves.

I wonder if some of the upper management folks are on crack ... Any decent manager should be able to run the company better than that.

Phoenix
04-28-2004, 11:06 AM
AT&T is so stupid. When are these wireless goons going to figure out that CHEAP FLAT-RATE UNLIMITED DATA PLANS are what people want and are the ONLY thing that people will buy into? Until then, these companies are just going to spin their wheels. It's just irritating because it's taking these suits so long to figure this out.

Wireless companies at some point may have to give away unlimited data plans if they want people to buy into their content. In other words, you get your 1000 anytime minutes, and unlimited data included at no extra charge. Either that, or unlimited data for around $5-$10 per month and no more. And it needs to be available to everybody - even the credit challenged. The wireless company that figures this out AND provides excellent content, full graphical web browsing, full email support, IM support, and MMS support, fast speeds, along with phones that can handle it all, will win the war.

And by content, I mean more than just wallpapers and ring tones, but even at that they should be good. Some of those ringtones are just bloody awful, and companies are charging up to $2.50 for one ring tone! Who are the dummies responsible for this pricing and content scheme? Give us all a break. :roll:

But as I was saying, these wireless companies need to understand that volume is where their money is largely at, not by charging a small fortune, and by nickel and dime-ing people to death and using bait and switch tactics like AT&T likes to do and use.

The writing's on the wall because that's what people want. No one will pay an arm and a leg for unlimited data access and then pay for content, too. In fact, no one will pay an arm and a leg, period - for anything. The question is, which wireless carrier will pull their dusty heads out of their hind-ends long enough to figure this out? T-Mobile seems to be ahead of all the others - they seem to have figured these things out in part, but even they need to implement some changes and drop the price.

T-Mobile has also figured out the value behind ANYTIME minutes in terms of voice plans, not just 200 Anytime minutes and then 3000 Night and Weekend minutes, for example, and all that crud, which is ridiculous. Or Verizon's stupid, confusing "In" plans or whatever the heck those are. T-Mobile is on the right track.

PEOPLE WANT SIMPLICITY. THEY WANT ALL THEIR MINUTES TO BE ANYTIME. THEY WANT NATIONWIDE COVERAGE. THEY WANT NO LONG DISTANCE AND NO ROAMING OF ANY KIND. THEY WANT CHEAP, TRULY UNLIMITED DATA PLANS, RELIABILITY, EXCELLENT COVERAGE, AND NO SURPRISES.

Sound like too much to ask? Get used to it, wireless companies. Welcome to the war.

Wireless companies will need to get rid of old blood and get people that are progressive enough to understand this. T-Mobile is the closest to understanding all of this. The wireless carrier who does and acts on it, wins.

kagayaki1
04-28-2004, 04:03 PM
And by content, I mean more than just wallpapers and ring tones, but even at that they should be good. Some of those ringtones are just bloody awful, and companies are charging up to $2.50 for one ring tone! Who are the dummies responsible for this pricing and content scheme? Give us all a break. :roll:

You know, as a techie, I generally agree with this perspective. But after talking to some family, friends, and most importantly, high school students, it became clear that these things really do matter to them, and they're willing to pay these prices for it. I can only describe it as generating a sense of belonging amonst their friends - a way to be unique in a world of standardization. I know it sounds silly, but if you open up your mind a little, you'll probably realize that the power user is not the target market stuff for this.

Pony99CA
05-01-2004, 06:46 AM
So really this plan is not, in fact, unlimited. It's a 100MB plan.
While "unlimited" is certainly a deceptive name, it's not a 100 MB plan, either. You have to exceed 100 MB in two consecutive months, which means you could theoretically run up 100 GB one month as long as you stayed below 100 MB the next month.

While that's probably not going to happen, you can average well over 100 MB per month.

Steve

Kris Kumar
05-01-2004, 03:58 PM
PEOPLE WANT SIMPLICITY. THEY WANT ALL THEIR MINUTES TO BE ANYTIME. THEY WANT NATIONWIDE COVERAGE. THEY WANT NO LONG DISTANCE AND NO ROAMING OF ANY KIND. THEY WANT CHEAP, TRULY UNLIMITED DATA PLANS, RELIABILITY, EXCELLENT COVERAGE, AND NO SURPRISES.

Amen...

drew_e
05-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Such material misrepresentation would fall foul of the "Trades Description Act" in the UK & could leave AT&T open to a civil claim for damages. :( It could also be subject to an order for withdrawal & fines from the Advertising Standards Authority.