View Full Version : Enhancing Smartphone Functionality

Jason Dunn
04-26-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/communities/experts/outlook.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/communities/experts/outlook.mspx</a><br /><br /></div>"When I finally gave up on my last cell phone, it had been with me for over three years. On top of that, I had been with the same service provider (in its varying forms, merger after merger...) for six years. Needless to say I had accumulated quite a few phone numbers stored in my SIM card and built-in phone memory. Even though I figured out how to download my numbers onto my computer, it was only in the form of a comma separated (.csv) file which did not lend itself well to importing or merging with my Outlook contacts. After tediously copying each and every one of my contacts into Outlook, I was determined not to have to do the same with my new phone.<br /><br />The greatest appeal my Windows Mobile™-based Smartphone had to me was its seamless integration with Outlook. Gone were the days of having to remember which numbers I had to copy from Outlook to my phone and which numbers I had to copy from my phone to Outlook. Now, whether I enter a new contact in Outlook from a vCard file attached to someone’s e-mail, or I save the caller id number when someone calls me on my Smartphone, when I get home I simply sync my phone with my computer and both are up-to-date! <br /><br />The Inbox and Calendar functionality are equally as impressive. No more dealing with conduits, duplicate data, and the like. My mailbox and schedule are with me and up-to-date all the time. However, two major pieces of Outlook functionality that I rely on were found lacking on the standard issue Smartphone 2002..."<br /><br />The article goes on to talk about some of the specific applications that round out his Smartphone experience. Well worth the read if you're new to the Smartphone world and wondering how to enhance your Smartphone.

ppcsurfr
04-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Ahhh...

Well I took a different route when I went mobile...

I had my SIM from my old Nokia 6150, placed it into my Motorola L708 Triband phone... that was way back in 1999, then transferred my contacts to my newer Motorola L7689 Timeport which then synched well with my Pocket PC using VisualIT's RedPhone... now better with Simple Phone...

And never really relied on my Phone's memory or SIM memory ever...

So even as far back as 2000 and 2001, I had my contacts sorted under the Category Mobile which I then filtered out for duplicates against my Outlook entries... It was much simpler and quicker to do.

My T68i now simply works as a modem and if I have to call, the built in dialer fo the h2210 works fine with me.

Since I've relied on my PPC for my contacts which has more than 700 entries, moving up to the Smartphone meant all I had to do was synch it to Outlook.

Sweet!

My Windows powered Smartphone also has a utility to copy SIM entries into the Smartphone's contacts list... This is called the SIM Manager. This takes all the hard work of transferring data from your SIM to your Smartphone. And since it ends up in Contacts, it synchronizes immediately with Outlook via ActiveSync.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo