View Full Version : N-Gage QD Announced By Nokia

Mike Temporale
04-14-2004, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobileslash.com/content/hardware/nokia-announces-ngage-gd.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.mobileslash.com/content/hardware/nokia-announces-ngage-gd.shtml</a><br /><br /></div>You may have heard a little something about the new N-Gage that was announced by Nokia yesterday. This version is called "N-Gage QD" Here's a quote from the press release.<br /><br /><div class="quote"> <span class="quote">Quote:</span> "After six months on the market with the N-Gage platform, we wanted to expand our device portfolio based on the feedback we've received," said Nokia's Senior Vice President of Games, Ilkka Raiskinen. "With improved gaming ergonomics, gamers can now start to play games at the push of a button and enjoy the increased responsiveness of the game keys. We also added support for hot-swap MMC and extended the battery life. For phone calls, we reoriented the speaker and microphone to support 'classic talking'." </div><br /><br />Does that sound odd to anyone? After <i>just</i> six months Nokia is releasing a new version?! They must have really messed up the first version to have it's successor announced so close after. I've also heard that they pulled a couple key features from the device like FM Tuner, and MP3 playback. :roll: Wouldn't the target audience for this device be the same age group that uses MP3s? Does this make sense to you? Is this really want the consumer asked for? That's the market leader in mobile communications at work for you. :wink: You can read the full press release at the linked article.

entropy1980
04-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Also intersting to note that nokia missed earnings expectations and noted a decline in sales.... hmmm kind of makes you think that analysts who dismissed MS's efforts may not be getting it. I think people are looking for exactly the features MS is offering in the smartphones. Series 60 phones while nice just feel kludgy to me and don't offer the inetgration with the desktop which i think once people try they ar hooked!
http://press.nokia.com/PR/200404/940928_5.html

DubWireless
04-15-2004, 01:16 AM
After just six months Nokia is releasing a new version?! They must have really messed up the first version to have it's successor announced so close after.

Nokia do this a lot with their handsets, usually the first model comes out and then a few months later they bring out a new refined/enhanced version (i.e. after market feedback / adding new technology enhancements is feasible) - this can be seen for various models referring to examples with an i added to the model number e.g. 6310 > 6310i, 7250 > 7250i, 8910 > 8910i, 9210 > 9210i

So this isn't really that major a change from what they have practised for some time now. Although the N-Gage needed refining more than most ;)

having a handset that is updated quickly isn't that rare (over here in Europe anyhow) I also remember the HTC Voyager (SPV E200) coming out only a few months after the HTC Tanager (SPV E100) was released. Both fine handsets, in fact I've stuck with the Tanager for now... waiting to see the new crop of WM Smartphones to appear before the next upgrade...

I've also heard that they pulled a couple key features from the device like FM Tuner, and MP3 playback.

I think their strategy is to focus more on the Gaming elements this time around, and also to drive the retail price down so these two features were culled. They should have kept the radio as standard - and those that really want MP3s might be able to install a 3rd party MP3 Series 60 app (albeit listening in dual-mono rather than stereo) - the device aparently has also lost it's USB connecition so Bluetooth is the only means of PC connectivity now allaboutngage.com covered the launch and first impressions [link] (http://www.allaboutngage.com/devices/viewarticle.php?id=68)...

BrianG

TANKERx
04-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Looking at the sales of Microsoft Smartphones, I hardly think that Microsoft is the sole reason for Nokia missing its target.

But spinning the miss is what I'd expect from Microsoft whereas the truth is that when someone wants some cake, there will inevitably be less for everybody else and the law of averages says that the person who has most cake will stand the greatest chance of losing some.

I agree with the previous poster in that releasing an update months after an initial device is normal behaviour for Nokia. Some may say that it's not a good way of doing business (and I may agree), but then again some people say that releasing flaky and insecure software and selling it for hundreds of isn't good business practice either so it's swings and roundabouts.

As far as the N-Gage is concerned, I'm not a big fan. It looks sexy, far more sexy than any other mobile phone currently on the market - and the new one even more so, but it is a toy and the first incarnation had flaws which should never have been allowed. This second one looks better, should function better with the original issues sorted and I wish it all the very best! After all, I know people who have the first N-Gage (honest, I do!) and they are very satisfied with it and the games are truly fantastic so there's no reason for it not to sell - unless it has another fatal flaw.

Now then, the MP3 issue is possibly misleading because MP3 files can be stored on the Memory Card and played with an MP3 player which can be installed from a 3rd party developer (if it really hasn't been included). I know, I know, no native support and all that, but hey - it beats putting Windoes Media Player on there (I can't remember the last time I used WMP on my MPx200, it's Pocket Music and PocketTV all the way for me).

Mike Temporale
04-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Now then, the MP3 issue is Anti-Nokia FUD which I'd expect to see on msmobiles.com Ouch. One simple comment and I'm labeled already?! :wink:

I didn't mean to imply that it won't handle MP3s, just that the support was removed. If someone is looking at the feature list and doesn't see MP3 player listed it could turn them off. I see it all the time with Pocket PC's. (I like to hang out in the electronic sections of the local Best Buy) People are comparing the different Pocket PC's and will see that one device doesn't list MP3 compatible and they immediately write it off. I have to tell them that ALL Pocket PC's have it built in. Now, if they don't see the feature, and it's not even built in, then it will effect some customers purchase decision.

TANKERx
04-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Now then, the MP3 issue is Anti-Nokia FUD which I'd expect to see on msmobiles.com Ouch. One simple comment and I'm labeled already?! :wink:

I didn't mean to imply that it won't handle MP3s, just that the support was removed. If someone is looking at the feature list and doesn't see MP3 player listed it could turn them off. I see it all the time with Pocket PC's. (I like to hang out in the electronic sections of the local Best Buy) People are comparing the different Pocket PC's and will see that one device doesn't list MP3 compatible and they immediately write it off. I have to tell them that ALL Pocket PC's have it built in. Now, if they don't see the feature, and it's not even built in, then it will effect some customers purchase decision.

Sorry, typed in haste :oops: . My apologies.

Mike Temporale
04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree with the previous poster in that releasing an update months after an initial device is normal behaviour for Nokia. Some may say that it's not a good way of doing business (and I may agree)

Really?? I'm not much of a Nokia man. I never noticed this pratice. When I read the press release it struck me as odd, and if I had purcahsed one in the first 6 months, I would be upset that I was used a testing ground. Especially on such a expensive device. I have had a couple handsets from them, but never really cared for them, poor build qaulity and features that never truely worked. At least for me. I guess I know why now. I bought the phone too early. :?

DubWireless
04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Really?? I'm not much of a Nokia man. I never noticed this pratice. When I read the press release it struck me as odd, and if I had purcahsed one in the first 6 months, I would be upset that I was used a testing ground.

well the N-Gage was the first device of it's type so you'd have been an "early adopter" if you had purchased it - i bought a HTC Tanager Smartphone as an 'early adopter' (it was the only one available to me to import at the time) - shortly afterwards the HTC Voyager appeared - no point getting upset about new model releases.. it happens all the time... and as an early adopter that's the risk to keep in mind...

I have had a couple handsets from them, but never really cared for them, poor build qaulity and features that never truely worked. At least for me. I guess I know why now. I bought the phone too early.

Nokia are still the most popular handset over here, by far, I see it everyday where people don't just look for a new phone - they look for a new Nokia phone - that's a big challenge to all other manufactureres/platforms

I've had several handsets from them over the years and only had an issue with one in that time... so as for build quality etc they are as good as any other manufacturer's handsets I've had

Application and feature set wise I find their Series 60 devices a good match for many things I can do on my WM Smartphone, but I still find the Series 60 comes ahead in one important factor it's phone functionality - hopefully something that will be improved on WM Smartphones as the platform matures and 'real' handset manufacturers like Moto, Panasonic and Samsung appear with their offerings...

BrianG

xendula
05-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Really?? I'm not much of a Nokia man. I never noticed this pratice. When I read the press release it struck me as odd, and if I had purcahsed one in the first 6 months, I would be upset that I was used a testing ground.
I have an N-gage and am actually really happy I got it before they decided to drop it and offer something only half as good. Two of the reasons why I bought it were BT and that it was a tri-band phone. The new one is only dual-band, so it will work EITHER in Europe OR in the US (ATT/Cingular and T-mobile). Too bad. I bought mine for 200 USD with three games, and not only was it the cheapest unlocket BT tri-band phone I could get, but it also had a radio and MP3 player/recorder built in, next to all the other features that other Symbian 60 phones have plus a video player!
Nokia is very very very popular in Europe, and I would always buy that brand over any other. It's as far as I know the only company that uses the same chargers and head-sets for almost all their models, no matter how old. I had a Siemens once for which I could not find a charger in any store 6 months after I purchased it. It had to be ordered from the company itself for 40 EURO!! That's insane 8O