View Full Version : The Inquirer Reviews Voq Smartphone

Jason Dunn
04-13-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15256' target='_blank'>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15256</a><br /><br /></div>"It's a very dangerous idea to put what is effectively an engineering prototype into the hands of an online journalist. So Sierra Wireless must be either very brave or very foolish because that's exactly what they've done with the Voq - the company's first venture into the smartphone sector with a Windows Mobile 2003 powered device for GSM networks. The first two things that strike you about the Voq is that it is both light and compact. It easily sits in your shirt pocket. But after a week's use, you soon realise that the Voq is all about offering a native Windows software interface on a mobile phone with a few concessions to being a voice communications device thrown in."<br /><br />As usual, the Inquirer is utterly incapable of reviewing anything related to Microsoft with any degree of integrity. :roll: They should just have a template that says "This sucks" and use it for all Microsoft-related reviews. :lol:

ShivShanks
04-13-2004, 02:13 AM
"It's a very dangerous idea to put what is effectively an engineering prototype into the hands of an online journalist. So Sierra Wireless must be either very brave or very foolish because that's exactly what they've done with the Voq - the company's first venture into the smartphone sector with a Windows Mobile 2003 powered device for GSM networks. The first two things that strike you about the Voq is that it is both light and compact. It easily sits in your shirt pocket. But after a week's use, you soon realise that the Voq is all about offering a native Windows software interface on a mobile phone with a few concessions to being a voice communications device thrown in."

As usual, the Inquirer is utterly incapable of reviewing anything related to Microsoft with any degree of integrity. :roll: They should just have a template that says "This sucks" and use it for all Microsoft-related reviews. :lol:

Who was the idiot at Sierra Wireless that decided to send the Voq to the Inq of all the places for a review? That too with a not 100% finished device?! Even C|Net would have done a fairer review.

TANKERx
04-13-2004, 06:14 AM
I don't see what was so wrong with the review. The writer made it clear that its a prototype and puts many of the problems down to that very thing and not liking a keyboard is a subjective matter - maybe he has big hands (after all, I remember people saying the same thing about the keypad on the Nokia9210 and those keys were bigger ;-) ). However;

But after a week's use, you soon realise that the Voq is all about offering a native Windows software interface on a mobile phone with a few concessions to being a voice communications device thrown in.

This is something I've noticed with both my MS smartphones. A mobile phone should never, and I mean never do things like lose unread messages. Top priority should always go to phone-functions, so I can identify with at least that quote.

And let's be honest, that phone really does look like it's fallen right out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down, doesn't it!

possmann
04-13-2004, 04:05 PM
This review :pukeface:

What a bonehead move...