View Full Version : Wireless ActiveSync and OMA kick butt!

greenmozart
04-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I just had to post on this today - I finally got my Exchange server upgraded to 2003 and now I have Wireless ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access (OMA) enabled. It is so nice to finally have the ability to get and send e-mail and sync my Smartphone directly with my Exchange mailbox via CDMA. The last piece of this puzzle is to get the i600 2003 upgrade from Verizon (crossing my fingers) so I can have true e-mail push instead of having to schedule syncronization. But for now I'm thrilled to be experiencing some of the benefits of being on the cutting edge. :rock on dude!:

I actually had one of my users tell me he'll use Outlook a lot more now that he can access his mailbox through his phone. Real benefits for people other than the IT department - priceless.

aristoBrat
04-08-2004, 01:47 PM
I hear ya...

Now that T-Mo has stopped blocking ports on its "free WAP" GPRS plan, I was able to over-the-air sync with my Exchange server for the first time last night!

I'm using a SPV e100 with 2002, which I guess requires port 443 (SSL) to do an ActiveSync, which has always been blocked. It's very very very very nice.

The only thing about "push email" in 2003 that bothers me is that the Exchange server sends a SMS to your phone telling it to sync. That kinda bites because T-Mo is one of the few places that charges for INCOMING SMS. Oh well.

greenmozart
04-08-2004, 06:47 PM
I think Verizon charges for incoming SMS, as well. Something like 2 cents per message unless you pay for a certain number of them as part of your contract. I'll see if the upgrade comes out and decide whether to add that to my contract at that point. My battery died last night from the 30 minute sync schedule I set. :roll: