View Full Version : How Would You Prefer To Enter Data On Your Smartphone?

Mike Temporale
03-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Telus Mobility will offer the worlds first Fastap handset (http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2633/) integrated into a LG 5450 mobile phone. It looks like a nice design. They have placed a little button on each of the four corners of the existing number pad creating a 44 button keypad which still allows one handed input. It's not in the QWERTY standard, instead it will use the good old fashion alpha-order layout.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/2633_tm.jpg

I prefer this method over the fold-out style (like the Voq) or a fold-away / plug-in keyboards. Those methods may be faster and provide larger buttons, but for me it's all about size and integration. I want it all, I want it built in, and I want it to be weightless. Or as close as possible ;) Plus with this method there is not fumbling to open or attach the keypad so you can do your work.

What method of input would you like to see on your next Smartphone?

Jason Dunn
03-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm completely shocked that Telus is offering something new and innovative. 8O

Malte
03-24-2004, 10:31 AM
I would definately prefer an integrated solution like Fastap. Fold-outs seem awkward. Let's face it, the cellphone is a one-handed device. Clip-ons? Seriously, would it ever leave your house?

As I looked into this I got to thinking, why bother with the 12 Key Number pad in the background? Why not put the numbers on little keys also, above or below the letters?

possmann
03-24-2004, 04:51 PM
imagine trying to dial a number.... I would hope it's smart enough to recognize someone trying to type in a message or type in a phone number - I just think that I would be fat-fingering phone numbers and hitting letters instead of numbers...

greenmozart
03-24-2004, 05:03 PM
I like the idea of this Fastap thing in terms of its small size and integration, but as I think about entering text I don't think I'd prefer to do it one-handed all the time. Maybe for quick entry items, like a name, but for lengthier entries like notes and e-mail I'd prefer the fold-out variety of the Voq. I know it would be easier and faster to use two hands and a QWERTY layout instead of a single finger. Of course I haven't tried either one yet so I'll reserve my official judgment until I get my hands on them and actually feel and use them.

Mike Temporale
03-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Okay. Who are the people that are voting for "No Change"? 8O You can't be serious. :?