View Full Version : More News on AT&T's Spectrum Switch

Mike Temporale
03-11-2004, 01:15 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=892&mode=flat&order=0&thold=0' target='_blank'>http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=892&mode=flat&order=0&thold=0</a><br /><br /></div>The guys over at Mobile Gadget News had a question and answer session with a "source inside AT&T Wireless" regarding this whole spectrum mess. It's a very interesting read and hopefully it clears up some of this confusion. However, I still find it very poor that AT&T has yet to make a public statement on this.

rbrome
03-11-2004, 06:53 AM
I feel that article doesn't go quite far enough in disspelling the dangerous myths that are going around.

Some people seem to think that AT&T is switching to 850, or that their 1900-only phones will become obsolete. That is simply not true. AT&T is only ADDING new 850 coverage, which 1900-only phones will not be able to take advantage of. Your 1900-only phone (such as the MPx200) will continue to receive the same coverage it did when you bought it, for the foreseeable future.

The ONLY scenario where a customer is getting "screwed" is if: you bought a 1900-only phone, you found it didn't get coverage you wanted, you notified AT&T, (within the 30-day trial period,) and were told coverage would improve over time. In that case, what they told you is no longer true.

But if you're okay with the coverage you have now, or you were never promised better coverage in the future, then you are NOT getting screwed.

In fact, if you are an affected customer receiving a free phone, then AT&T is really going out of their way by sending you a $100+ phone for free, just so you can get BETTER coverage than you signed up for.

I think it's insane that this very customer-friendly gesture is being interpreted as the shaft. You current phone is NOT being made obsolete - AT&T is not dropping or de-emphasizing 1900, switching to something else, or pulling the rug out from under you in any way.

I think people just jumped the gun in assuming that an unsolicited free phone meant AT&T felt guilty about something. They don't - they were being generous. I know that's hard to understand, but it's true.