View Full Version : Smartphones: pda replacement?

Parker51
03-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Hello -

New here. I've been more than patient in the replacement of my Treo 180 as my pda. I love the concept of converging phone and pda into one device. Alas, I've had my share of "issues" with the unit, and had to buy a Nokia 6590i to use as a phone. So, I'm back to two devices. Despite the 6590's valiant efforts to sync with Outlook, it's got some limitations, hence the pda. Nothing new to you, I suppose.

I hadn't given much thought to the Smartphones, as I've yet to see one in the flesh. However, after stumbling upon pics of the Moto mpx 100 and 300, I'm interested in knowing more about these phones.

So, here are the Qs.

1. Do they really substitute a pda? As in, do you no longer use your palm or ppc?
2. Are they as easy to use as a pda, what with the lack of a stylus?
3. Can you use some ppc software with the pda (granted, lack of a stylus may render many apps unusable)?

And two very important Qs:

4. How's the reception? Any good? Treo owners past or present are welcome to answer this one!
5. Are any of you using the Smartphone on Cingular (you must'va likely unlocked it and so on)?

Thanks!

Mike Temporale
03-10-2004, 04:16 PM
I hadn't given much thought to the Smartphones, as I've yet to see one in the flesh. However, after stumbling upon pics of the Moto mpx 100 and 300, I'm interested in knowing more about these phones.

Ah yes, Those are some fine looking devices. Just a note, the 100 is a Smartphone device while it appears that the 300 (or MPx) is a Pocket PC Phone Edition device. Also, these devices have not yet been released. So the quality, reception, price, and availabilty of these are still up in the air. :wink:

1. Do they really substitute a pda? As in, do you no longer use your palm or ppc?

That truely depends on the person. I use both my PPC and SP everyday. I can't imagine being without either. To me they have different uses. The PPC is used for time tracking, email composing, alarms, MP3's, write ups, WiFi browsing, etc... My SP is used for phone calls, games, checking email while on the go, etc... The SP is a phone first. While the PPC is data first.

2. Are they as easy to use as a pda, what with the lack of a stylus?

They are different. Unless you get an external keyboard, I wouldn't do any long messages or anything. :wink: But, yes, I do find it easy to navigate.

3. Can you use some ppc software with the pda (granted, lack of a stylus may render many apps unusable)?

The PPC application usually needs to be ported by the developer to the SP platform. Depending on the application this can be an easy task or a hard task.

4. How's the reception? Any good? Treo owners past or present are welcome to answer this one!

I have never had a Treo, so I can't compare. I find my device is very good at locking on a signal.

5. Are any of you using the Smartphone on Cingular (you must'va likely unlocked it and so on)?

Erm, nope. I'm in Canada, and using Fido, so I guess that's not much good to you. I'm sure there are others in here that are using Cingular. Anyone care to speak up?