View Full Version : I have moved to the Dark side!!

Andy Roberts
03-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Greetings all!
I am a proud owner of a SPV e200 2003 and I am having some teething problems which I was wondering if you guys and gals could help with.

1) Is there any applications for alarms that work when the SPV is turned off?

2) As my SPV is 2003 version can I use 2002 skins because if it does am I being stupid as I can't get them to work. I have some skins that have two files (the .home xml and a Jpg) but the compacted ones (from the generator) are not reconized.

3) Is My tools compatible with the SPV?

4) I have 14 days to decide If I want to keep my SPV. So far I like it but is a smartphone at the present a smart move?

5) Whats the best tool app around, is it resco's one?

6) bluetooth headsets work or not If so which ones?

7) What FAT format should I use on my 256mb SD's?

8 ) Anyone have a WMV encoder file to convert WMV for the best results on a smartphone?

9) I have a ipaq 2210. Does anyone still use their PPC's while also using a smartphone?

10) Is the SPV e200 a good device or a good dog toy?

I hope you have time to answer my Q's with A's.

Mike Temporale
03-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Greetings all!
I am a proud owner of a SPV e200 2003 and I am having some teething problems which I was wondering if you guys and gals could help with.

Welcome! Grab a muffin and coffee or juice on your way in! :wink:

1) Is there any applications for alarms that work when the SPV is turned off?

Why on earth would you turn it off? I used to turn off my phone, but not anymore. I either put it to silent or turn off the phone part, but leave the device on. But, to answer your question, when the device is powered off it's not like when you turn a Pocket PC off. PPC doesn't really turn off, it just hibernates. The phone turns off. So the answer (as far as I know) is No.

2) As my SPV is 2003 version can I use 2002 skins because if it does am I being stupid as I can't get them to work. I have some skins that have two files (the .home xml and a Jpg) but the compacted ones (from the generator) are not reconized.

It should work without any problems? I have used a bunch of skins from SmartphoneThemes (http://www.smartphonethemes.com) and I have not had any problems. However, I am currently running of the .home.xml & JPG solutions you mentioned.

Are you getting an error? If so, at what point?

3) Is My tools compatible with the SPV?

Not sure about this. My guess would be yes. But that's only a guess.

4) I have 14 days to decide If I want to keep my SPV. So far I like it but is a smartphone at the present a smart move?

The age old question. "Is now a good time to buy ____?" In the computer/gadget world where things are always changing and new versions are always aroung the corner, it's hard to say. My answer is usually, if you see something you like, and it meets your needs and it's priced within your budget, then get it. :way to go:

5) Whats the best tool app around, is it resco's one?

Tool app? Are you refering to File Explorer app? If so, there are a number of really good ones, including the free one that Jason posted (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5016&highlight=) on the front page a while back.

6) bluetooth headsets work or not If so which ones?

I think they work. Don't have one so I can't really comment on this. But here's a thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5068&highlight=) with some disccusion on Bluetooth headsets.

7) What FAT format should I use on my 256mb SD's?

I would use FAT 32 or FAT 16. Depends on the the contents. Usually I leave them formated the way the came.

8 ) Anyone have a WMV encoder file to convert WMV for the best results on a smartphone?

See my answer for the next question...

9) I have a ipaq 2210. Does anyone still use their PPC's while also using a smartphone?

All the time. It's my iPOD. :wink: I use it for MP3 playback, pictures, excel, time tracking, calendar, composing emails, etc...

10) Is the SPV e200 a good device or a good dog toy?

That's a great device. I haven't heard anyone complain about problems (quality related) with that device.

I hope you have time to answer my Q's with A's.

No problem. :wink:

Andy Roberts
03-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Cheers Mike Perfecto!
Here the reply to your answers.

1) Good Point never thought about just turning the radio off.....Duh silly moi

2) Okay I downloaded a theme from smartphone themes and its what I class as compact. I've been copying them to the home folder but how do I activate them?
On the other ones they are just two files I copy into the home folder and set them up under home options in settings.
Am I missing something cos I bet I am!

3) I'll hunt that one

4) Thanks for the info

5) the link is perfect!!

6) thanks for the link!

7) True good point I leave something alone for once

8) Shame

9) Yea thats my first idea

10) So far I like it but I have not tried any other smartphones

Mike Temporale
03-09-2004, 03:31 PM
2) Okay I downloaded a theme from smartphone themes and its what I class as compact. I've been copying them to the home folder but how do I activate them?
On the other ones they are just two files I copy into the home folder and set them up under home options in settings.
Am I missing something cos I bet I am!

I see what's happening here. Get the file explorer from question 5, install it to your phone. Then browse to the home folder (or where ever you have copied the themes to) and run the theme. It will then install and load the theme. :way to go:

Andy Roberts
03-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Hmmmm thanks for that answer it makes me ponder.
Microsoft create a theme creator that requires you to use an explorer to run the theme but does not make a pre-built in explorer!??

Crazy stuff but thanks I'm a happy poster!

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
This thread brought a tear to my eye. Great community support!

Andy Roberts
03-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Do you mind if I ask some more?
I'm sure some users may have the same questions lurking in their brains.

1) How do I delete old AppMgr details for software: I dont see why I need to keep them for software I have removed but they are set to read only and delete so I tried Resco Explorer to change the properties of the files but it wont change them.
The reason I want this because everytime you install a Home skin it keeps the AppMgr details after deletion and I'm sure in time that AppMgr folder is going to grow!

2) To soft reset a SPV, is that turning it off and on?

3) Tried the free Explorer file but it asks for the REG key every time I turn it on, it just wont store the code. Is smart Explorer better than Resco's one?

Cheers

brntcrsp
03-10-2004, 07:22 PM
2) To soft reset a SPV, is that turning it off and on?

The answer to this is yes. power off and power on is equivalent to a soft reset.

Sadly, since I no longer have the mpx200 I can't answer the other questions. Mike or anyone else care to take a shot?

Mike Temporale
03-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Opps! Sorry about that. I started to look into this earlier today but got side tracked and forgot about it.

I had never peered into the AppMgr folder before. Well, I've clicked around but never really paid attention to it. Thanks to your post I looked a little closer and my folder is also loaded with application stubs from programs that have been uninstalled. I'm not sure why these didn't get removed along with the application, and for some reason I can't delete them either. :?

As for the Explorer, You might installed the wrong version. I noticed that during the install by default the full version is checked off, you need to unckeck that one, and check the free version. Try that and let us know.

Andy Roberts
03-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Appmgr works the same way as the PPC, I have no idea of the advantages of the OS storing this tiny bit of info, can you imagine what a appmgr folder would lokk like on a PC....huge!!

I will try to install the explorer again.

Thanks guys.