View Full Version : Software or the lack thereof

Macguy59
03-07-2004, 05:18 PM
I've had my smartphone for four months and in that time I've only seen one app released that I felt compelled to even try. Once the newness of the hardware wears off it comes down to software and how it can make my device more useful . . . and so far the software just isn't there. I'm going to hold out until I can see what improvements WM 2003 may bring but unless I see some more software development, my smartphone will be up for sale this summer.

Santa Fe
03-07-2004, 10:56 PM
So don't keep us in suspense. What was this one piece of software that made the cut??? :D

I have added Repligo document viewer which I really use for reference material, e-wallet which has my life on it, Power Calendar which has added a lot of usefulness over the lame built in version, SmartyCalc which does financial caculations as well as a lot of other things if you have the patience to learn how to use it and Connected Bits for weather (free!). I use all of them frequently. McTraveller is sort of handy but only when I travel out of the country and I probably would pass on it today.

The one thing I'm afraid of is that if we don't get updated to Smartphone 2003 we will be left behind by the software programmers.

Macguy59
03-08-2004, 02:35 AM
So don't keep us in suspense. What was this one piece of software that made the cut??? :D

I have added Repligo document viewer which I really use for reference material, e-wallet which has my life on it, Power Calendar which has added a lot of usefulness over the lame built in version, SmartyCalc which does financial caculations as well as a lot of other things if you have the patience to learn how to use it and Connected Bits for weather (free!). I use all of them frequently. McTraveller is sort of handy but only when I travel out of the country and I probably would pass on it today.

The one thing I'm afraid of is that if we don't get updated to Smartphone 2003 we will be left behind by the software programmers.

E-Wallet

Jerry Raia
03-08-2004, 08:15 AM
There's lot's of software out there. I have:
Kevtris (Tetris)
Pocket Grandmaster
Code wallet
Power Tasks
Power Calendar
IA Album
Pocket Stars (Star Chart)
Resco Explorer

And a few more. Not a bad start considering how slow the platform is rolling out.

And what phone would you buy instead and what could it do?

Macguy59
03-08-2004, 02:35 PM
There's lot's of software out there. I have:
Kevtris (Tetris)
Pocket Grandmaster
Code wallet
Power Tasks
Power Calendar
IA Album
Pocket Stars (Star Chart)
Resco Explorer

And a few more. Not a bad start considering how slow the platform is rolling out.

And what phone would you buy instead and what could it do?

I would buy a regular cell phone and keep my PPC with me all the time

Jerry Raia
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah you could. I dont think I could go back to a regular phone anymore. I still carry both with me. I like having my email synced automatically no matter where I am.

Macguy59
03-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Yeah you could. I dont think I could go back to a regular phone anymore. I still carry both with me. I like having my email synced automatically no matter where I am.

Unfortunately I can't get my email because of my service provider (Insightbb) requiring a SSL connection and non-standard port setting for accessing it outside of the network.

Dennis
04-09-2004, 08:17 PM
OK guys, you may say what you want, but you must agree on the fact that there are less appealing apps available for Smartphone than for Pocket PC, which are also a lot less than Palm OS!!

To see for yourself, you only need to have a quick look at Handango!

Santa Fe
04-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Caution. Don't limit yourself to Handago for Smartphone software.

Mike Temporale
04-09-2004, 09:37 PM

I agree: Smartphone.net (http://www.smartphone.net/Smartphonethoughts) :wink:

Jerry Raia
04-09-2004, 09:44 PM

I'll third that! :D

Dennis
04-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Much better selection: I give you that.

Nevertheless, I don't feel that there is yet the wide selection of apps you can find with Palm OS (the largest), Pocket PC or even Symbian.
There are not so many software that make me say: "I must Have that one now!", as I feel with with Pocket PC and Palm OS apps - and very few Symbian too!

It might come from the fact that it is a quite new platform...
What do you think?

JohnJohn
04-11-2004, 01:53 PM
With my new set up I am not relying on my SmartPhone to replace my PPC. I bought one of the Sony TR3 series laptops. Now I have what I consider to be a larger, boot lengthen’ed, PPC. The smart phone gives me quick reference to my calendar and phone contacts that I used my PPC for. If i decide to sell my 41xx then I will miss Mapopolis bluetoothe'ed to my Navman GPS. I will also miss the easy access to .txt files, but oh well. Maybe I'll just give it to the wife and sell her 1910; still giving me access to it.

Anyway, I am a newbie and am already using PocketCalender.

Looking for:

1) a decent .txt file viewer
2) .pdf viewer
3) email software that allows for more than ONE pop3 account
4) mp3 player that allows for adjusting bass and treble
5) Home screen editor allowing me to make the icons smaller (something like BatteryBar would be awesome)

Santa Fe
04-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Try Repligo for a text, pdf, picture, web page, excel viewer. I have tons of reference documents on my Smartphone.

I've quit the PDA world cold turkey and only wish Verizon would provide the latest Smartphone 2003 in order for me to take advantage of newly created software.

Jerry Raia
04-11-2004, 04:10 PM
From everything I've read 2003 will be out for the i600 this summer :)

Mike Temporale
04-12-2004, 03:55 PM
5) Home screen editor allowing me to make the icons smaller (something like BatteryBar would be awesome)

There is a thread here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5058) that should provide you with all the information needed for this.

I personally don't bother doing it myself anymore. After finding these themes (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5131&highlight=), I'm all set. 8) They are just so amazing, I know I can't do any better.