View Full Version : streaming radio

newi600user
03-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know how to get streaming radio to play on my i600? I tried to beam over the .ASX file from my i700 but it still didn't work.

Kris Kumar
03-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I have .ASX based links/URLs in my Pocket IE favorites. I launch them from the IE favorites menu. And then IE prompts for the file download. Post download it launches the Media Player and plays the streaming media.

Also try launching the URL or ASX file from the Windows Media Player "Open URL" menu option.

Kris

newi600user
03-02-2004, 07:15 PM
How do you get the link? I am interested in the MICHIGANRADIO.ORG link. Can you help?

Kris Kumar
03-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Well if you need the quick answer...go to the bottom of my post.

For future ref, I have posted the technique that I use to get to the URLs.

You can get to the link in the following three ways...try it in the order listed.

Method 1
- On your desktop PC, browse to the site, navigate to the radio link. launch it.
- When the music starts playing in the Windows Media Player on the desktop PC, do a Right Click 'Properties'.
- This will show you the direct URL to the streaming media.
- Copy this URL and send it to the phone thru email, SMS (or create a IE favorite on your desktop and copy the Favorite link to the phone's favorites)
- Now if you sent an email, click on the link in the email body. If it was a fav, just launch it in IE.
- Another painstaking way is to write the URL on the paper and then type it into the phone's media player 'Open URL', its too tedious :-)

Method 2
- Launch Pocket IE on the phone. Enter the site url. Browse thru the site on your phone and click on the link to launch the streaming media.
- This can be painful, if the site has a complex page or if the media player link is launched as a separate IE window.

Method 3
- The most painful. But should be tried when Method 1 fails.
- Follow method 1 to get the URL
- Now launch Media Player on the phone
- Then from Menu select 'Open URL', now type in the entire URL manually.
- Double check the typed in URL before you hit Play :-)
- If it works book mark it within Windows Media.

---------------------

BTW...the streaming radio link for your radio is
http://ummedia02.rs.itd.umich.edu/miradio

I sent it to myself as an SMS and clicked on it and it didnt work :-(
IE couldnt trigger the Media Player..so had to MANUALLY type in the URL into Media Player. Once done, it played great !!

(There must be an easier way to enter the URL into media player.)

Kris