View Full Version : windows 2003 with MPx200

kolin
03-02-2004, 07:06 AM
This is silly question, but...... 8O is there anyone, who changed OS on Motorola MPx200? Is it possible to change windows from 2002 to 2003 :?: Is 2003 version faster? or i should live with what motorola installed on this product?

Mike Temporale
03-02-2004, 03:23 PM
This is a loaded question....

All the Smartphones use a flash ROM, so technically they can be upgraded.

HOWEVER, Windows Mobile is not something you can buy off the shelf, it is licensed to 3rd parties who intern load it onto a device and sell the device. An upgrade is not something that Microsoft will supply to the end user. It's up to the manufacturer to release it to their customers.

HOWEVER, the Smartphone market is a little different than the Pocket PC market, in that the device manufacturer doesn't sell to the end user. They sell to the local carriers, who sell to the end user. So now we have an extra step. The carrier has to decide if they want to release an upgrade to their customers.

And to make a long explanation short; no carrier that sells the MPx200 has offered such an upgrade. So the answer is currently no. (Unless you have somehow obtained a copy of the OS??)

As for your OS speed question; Yes, 2003 is faster than 2002, but the hardware also makes a big difference. From what I have heard the MPx200 is the fastest device on the market.

Macguy59
03-02-2004, 04:46 PM
. From what I have heard the MPx200 is the fastest device on the market.

Based on what? From eveything I've read plus hands-on with the x200 the Samsung i600 has the better hardware performance. Is there a benchmark chart comparing the 2?

Mike Temporale
03-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Just based on people I have talked to about them. I have no charts or detailed graphs of benchmarks that prove anything one way or the other. This is just what I have heard.

kolin
03-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Hmmmmmmm....... Let's see..... The MOST IMPORTANT reason to make a smartphone with windows or symbian or another public OS is a chance to upgrade this in future, fight the bugs, get more futures and something ...IMHO. So you can buy device that can be changed with more faster, usable, better OS. That is freedom of choice. I can change OS on pocket pc. So, logical, i must have a chance to do it on smartphone. But....... it seems to me I can't. The question is how telephone functions collaborate with computer functions? What is primary thing - phone or pc on this device? If the OS is - we can't do anything IMHO. If the phone - logical i can do "\format с - enter" and then i get the GSM phone, which can do calls but can't do anything else until i install OS and programs.

Mike Temporale
03-03-2004, 02:10 PM
I can change OS on pocket pc. So, logical, i must have a chance to do it on smartphone. But....... it seems to me I can't

Yes you can. Unless you are taking the Pocket PC and installing Linux, you have to wait for the device manufacturer to release the new version for your device. Which they don't always do (iPAQ 1910, 36xx, etc... did not see a WM2003 Upgrade). The same is true here. You have to wait for your carrier to release the new version, if they choose to. Because it has a flash ROM you can always try and install a version of Linux or whatever.

i can do "\format с - enter" and then i get the GSM phone, which can do calls but can't do anything else until i install OS and programs.

This isn't possible. The OS controls the phone. No OS, no GSM phone.

kolin
03-04-2004, 08:44 AM
The OS controls the phone. No OS, no GSM phone.

Sad..... so i can only upgrade the existing OS..... because it seems to me too risky completely change OS if it controls the phone functions..... i can kill my device with that.......

swbuehler
04-14-2004, 06:21 PM
This is silly question, but...... 8O is there anyone, who changed OS on Motorola MPx200? Is it possible to change windows from 2002 to 2003 :?: Is 2003 version faster? or i should live with what motorola installed on this product?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade since it is Flash ROM.

However, Motorola has officially stated that they have no plans to upgrade the MPx200 to the SP2003 OS. They are referring customers to the upcoming MPx220 if they want SP2003.

kolin
04-15-2004, 06:56 AM
It seems to me that developers (motorola in that case) has this point of vew - why upgrade the product, if they can force us to buy new one? The only reason for buying it for me is 2003 windows. I don't need bluetooth, i don't need camera, i don't need new device - i just need upgrade for existing OS to get faster one. What a sad situation!

swbuehler
04-15-2004, 04:02 PM
It seems to me that developers (motorola in that case) has this point of vew - why upgrade the product, if they can force us to buy new one? The only reason for buying it for me is 2003 windows. I don't need bluetooth, i don't need camera, i don't need new device - i just need upgrade for existing OS to get faster one. What a sad situation!
If AT&T Wireless wants to, they can apply sufficient pressure to get Motorola to kick out an upgrade, as they apparently were able to do with Siemens, which recently issued a Windows Mobile 2003 upgrade for the SX56 Pocket PC Phone (even though AT&T Wireless doesn't officially sell it anymore). AT&T either can't or won't apply that pressure though, and with their being acquired by Cingular Wireless and their decision to limit future expansion to the 850MHz band (which the U.S. version of the MPx200 does not support), it's highly doubtful that they'll apply pressure any time soon.

swbuehler
04-15-2004, 04:12 PM
HOWEVER, the Smartphone market is a little different than the Pocket PC market, in that the device manufacturer doesn't sell to the end user. They sell to the local carriers, who sell to the end user. So now we have an extra step. The carrier has to decide if they want to release an upgrade to their customers.

Not necessarily true.

Siemens issued a Windows Mobile 2003 upgrade for the SX56 Pocket PC Phone Edition through their own web site independent of AT&T Wireless.

All callers to AT&T Wireless about a SmartPhone 2003 upgrade for the MPx200 are being told to go ask Motorola and that the decision is not AT&T Wireless' decision to make; and Motorola is replying that they're not going to offer it.

It appears that the process in place is that the manufacturer initiates the process by developing an upgrade, then offers it to the carrier, who tests it, applies their brand to it, and then approves it for the manufacturer to publish on their own. The issue here is that Motorola has no plans to even get started.[/list]