View Full Version : MPx200.org Starts MPx200 Petition

Robert Levy
02-25-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/MPx200_Upgrade/' target='_blank'>http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/MPx200_Upgrade/</a><br /><br /></div>MPx200.org has put together a petition calling for AT&T Wireless to provide a free upgrade to Smartphone 2003. Here's a quote:<br /><br /><div class="quote"> <span class="quote">Quote:</span> The MPx200 was sold with the promise of an upgrade, not in writing on the AT&T webs site but it could be seen on many retailers web sites offering the phone for sale to be used under AT&Ts service. In addition the MPx200 does not operate/function as stated in the marketing materials and in the owners manual. On page 45 of the owners manual, the external caller ID does not work as described. On page 51 of the owners manual, you can not make calls using voice tags as described. There are more inconsistencies too including custom ring tones, the 900 band, the camera functions or lack there of, multimedia messaging... The phone was advertised as something that it is not. </div><br /><br />Firstly, I don't know about the claim that an upgrade was promised... there have been rumors, but I never saw anything that could reasonably be confused with an official promise.<br /><br />Second, let's be clear on something: AT&T Wireless has not made any announcements saying that they <i>won't</i> release a 2002 update to fix some of the problems or even an upgrade to 2003. I think it's jumping the gun a little bit to be starting a petition before knowing that the people you are petitioning disagree with you ;)<br /><br />My final thought on this is that flat out asking for a free upgrade to Smartphone 2003 might not be the most effective approach to take here. What this petition should <i>really</i> be asking for (and what customers can easily argue that they deserve) are fixes to specific bugs. It's a lot easier to get angry at AT&T Wireless for not fixing major bugs than it is to get angry at them for not giving out free OS upgrades. Should AT&T Wireless determine that the best way for them to fix those bugs is to distribute upgrades to Smartphone 2003 then that's great. I and my MPx200 hope they do but an executive is more likely to pay attention to a petition requesting bug fixes as opposed to demanding a major upgrade.<br /><br />That said, if you want Smartphone 2003 on your MPx200 (and I know you do), here's an opportunity to ask.

trachy
02-25-2004, 04:32 PM
I agree with you Robert, though I still can't see why they didn't equip the phone with 2k3 in the first place. Regardless, it has to be in their best interest to update this phone. I can't be the only one who's been on the fence for the past few months, hoping that someone will do the right thing and fix the bugs and/or upgrade the OS. Until that happens or the next iteration of the device becomes available, I'll continue to hold out. Waiting a few months is better than being stuck with a phone that doesn't live up to it's hype.

possmann
02-25-2004, 07:11 PM
ditto

Jason Dunn
02-25-2004, 10:29 PM
I agree with you Robert, though I still can't see why they didn't equip the phone with 2k3 in the first place.

Cycle time - carriers are notorious for taking 6-8 months to certify a phone, and by the time the phone is ready to be released into their markets, there's already a new one that would replace it!

trachy
02-25-2004, 11:36 PM
I agree with you Robert, though I still can't see why they didn't equip the phone with 2k3 in the first place.

Cycle time - carriers are notorious for taking 6-8 months to certify a phone, and by the time the phone is ready to be released into their markets, there's already a new one that would replace it!

If that's the case - and I'm sure you're right, Jason - then someone needs to re-examine the certification process. That's a ridiculous amount of time to push a product to market, especially when you consider that's just the software platform alone! I'm surprised MS doesn't lean on the carriers a bit, or offer assistance. Are certification processes done by independent bodies, or the carriers themselves?

arnage2
02-26-2004, 04:25 AM
ditch the upgrade efforts. Release a new model (like the rumored mpx220) add bt, sdio, and a camera. That'll make up for it.

Sean Murphy
02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
ditch the upgrade efforts. Release a new model (like the rumored mpx220) add bt, sdio, and a camera. That'll make up for it.

I agree that for some a new model released will "make up for it" but for many they have spend $300 on the phone, maybe more when you add accessories and they can't afford to throw another 3 or 4 bills on a new phone every 6 months. For people like this, we need to keep up the efforts on the upgrade. I know that I will buy the 220 and probably the 300 when they come out but when I do my wife would get the 200. Will she be happy that she won't have a working caller ID? Will she like the fact that a ton of new applications that I will be enjoying on my phone won't work on hers because she doesn't have the .net compact framework?

I have not said that I expect AT&T to suck it up and throw a free upgrade at everybody, sure it would be great but that is not how the world works. I would be more than happy to pay a nominal fee for the upgrade, just as I have every time I upgraded my PC operating system, just how many did when upgrading PocketPCs. I just want the choice, what good is an upgradeable OS if you can't get an upgrade?

Sean Murphy
Mobile Gadget News

arnage2
02-26-2004, 03:09 PM
it would be nice for them to even give you an upgrade for $29.95.

Robert Levy
02-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Again, I just think it's a stronger argument to ask them to provide a free set of bug fixes (as Verizon has been doing) instead of asking for a new OS (even if you are willing to pay for that).