View Full Version : Smartfone.net: Motorola vs. Nokia - The Final Battle is Beginning?

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 09:49 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.smartfone.net/?m=show&id=354' target='_blank'>http://www.smartfone.net/?m=show&id=354</a><br /><br /></div>"Nokia and Motorola have presented yesterday at the 3GSM show in Cannes two new smarphones that will battle this year to conquest the leadership in this segment of the market. They have similar characteristics, but they use different operating system, but overall finally we will have two smartphones with not only GPRS but WI-FI too. Who of the two will win this “final battle”? Symbian or Microsoft?"

Kris Kumar
02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
In the long run Microsoft Windows Mobile will be the winner in this segment. Why do I say Long Run? The reason being I feel that the Symbian OS is very stable. Microsoft's Pocket PC Phone Edition software freezes too often. The purists in the IT department would not approve purchase of MS devices. Just like a couple of years ago they favored Palm over Pocket PC.

I dont think the freeze/crash will have get fixed this year :-)

I think just like Microsoft is paying attention to Security for the Desktop Windows version. Someone from the Mobile Team should take the initiative to make Windows Mobile stable. I was reading in one of the other threads that they are planning to introduce Dr. Watson. Well I think Dr. Watson or not, it should not freeze.

Overall, Nokia/Symbian will have a tough competitor this time. Windows Mobile blends well with the Enterprise Windows Network. Eventually I think the market will MS Windows Mobile phones for all Data Capable phones. And non-Data Capable, low end phones will be for Symbian.

Windows Mobile vs Symbian in the phone arena, will mirror Windows Mobile vs Palm OS battle in the pocket pc.

Kris

TANKERx
02-25-2004, 11:45 AM
First of all, this new Nokia looks Awesome! Let there be no doubt about it, the 9210 was a stunning little beast, but underpowered on the hardware front. Now, we see a real Communicator in the 9500 that is going to be a dream for anybody who wants a true mobile office.

Nokia have some advantage in that they have an OS that is very stable and an interface that is easy to use in the extreme. I for one will be watching the 9500 closely.

As for which will win, I agree that Microsoft is stronger in the enterprise and this MPx thing will be riding on the soundbites and as such, it will win on that ground more than anything else. But hopefully, if IT literate people are allowed to make the decisions, businesses will opt for the reliability and flexibility of the Nokia.

Personally, I don't care. My 9210 does all my mobile office needs (ever used the Office apps on one of those? It's out there man!) and in conjunction with my new MPx200, I have nothing to complain about (I just hope it doesn't crash as often as the SPV).

A side note:
The MPx's keyboard doesn't look too comfortable to me and I noticed a little bias in the article, if you compare the way the Key Features are worded for each device (but these features may have been listings from press releases so I could be wrong).