View Full Version : No POP outgoing email on Verizon

bibap
02-07-2004, 03:21 AM
Since I've gotten the phone I have been unable to send outging email. However, I can receive POP3 email just fine. Originally I was told that the SMTP server was down. I called today to see what the status was that was told that even when the server comes back the i600 will not be able to send outgoing mail in this situation because the Verizon server will require authentication and the i600 does not support different authentication for incoming and outgoing email. He said that there was a software patch being worked on, but no delivery date.

Since my POP3 email provider does not allow relaying, I cannot send email through them, and I don't want to use synching with Outlook for a number of reasons. He suggested I might want to use hotpop.com or softhome.net. I'm also looking into buying an account from smtp.com. Not good news!

Any ideas - I'm no expert on this.

Santa Fe
02-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Who is your ISP. I've had no problems with my Earthlink account. Need more facts to help.

bibap
02-07-2004, 04:16 AM
My ISP is a regional one called NAC (Net Access Corporation). I had this problem with them when I was on the Palm platform. They don't allow relaying, so I couldn't send mail using my NAC address through the Sprint servers. However, wiith Sprint I automatically got a Sprint email account so I could send mail through that. Verizon doesn't provide this so I'm a bit puzzled about what to do.

Santa Fe
02-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Have you talked to a senior tech person at Verizon about this? There has been some word that they will have an the SMTP server soon.

encece
02-08-2004, 07:03 AM
In the inbox under Menu>Options>Sending....

...do you have "Server requires authorization" checked?

Santa Fe
02-12-2004, 09:04 PM
See this to see if it helps in your case. http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=057630bb7c099e8356259466961cc6e4&threadid=14149

PDAMike
02-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Check out www.smtp.com. Could solve your outgoing email woes. I know a bunch of people that have said forget it to Verizon's messing around, and just got a new smtp service through these guys. It's a nice break from the red tape that is Verizon.

-Mike

bibap
02-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Yes, smtp.com works like a charm :D