View Full Version : "Dumb" Phones Disappearing Fast

David McNamee
02-04-2004, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040202/tc_nm/bizcellphones_dc_4' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040202/tc_nm/bizcellphones_dc_4</a><br /><br /></div>Reuters has run an interesting piece on the mainstream in mobile phone technology has shifted, and "plain old cell phones" are becoming a rare item in the United States. For years, the phones available in the U.S lagged behind the capabilities of European and Japanese phones. Now, most phones have color screens - a rarity as recently as 18 months ago. The majority of phones also have some form of Internet access in the form of web browsers and e-mail clients. Playing music and video games are also features finding their way into the mainstream. And, of course, we're beginning to see a proliferation of cameraphones. By next year, Qualcomm expects 4 megapixel cameraphones to be available.<br /><br />The cell phone is now something more than just a telephone. It has become a communications gateway. The days of the monochrome display are over. I don't think I'll miss them.

possmann
02-04-2004, 04:39 PM
You know all the fancy gadgets or software features don't mean diddly-poop unless phone network can support them. We need to really start slamming faster connectivity, solid reliabilty and wider service on the cell phone industry rather than a 4 megapixel phone. Who cares if I can take a 4 meg photo if it takes me an hour to send it via a phone connection?

I feel the need - the neeeeeed for speed!

Mike Temporale
02-04-2004, 06:41 PM
By next year, Qualcomm expects 4 megapixel cameraphones to be available.

4 Megapixel! Wow. A camera phone will never replace my camera, but it's nice to have something to snap a quick picture when you're out and about. 4 MegaPixel is amazing, but I'm sure it's way more than needed in a phone. I have to agree with Possmann. All these features are nice, but we really need faster speeds and better coverage.

Jason Dunn
02-04-2004, 08:02 PM
I agree with what you're saying Possman, but the 4 megapixel type stuff comes from the hardware vendors, while the issues you're mentioning (faster speeds, wider coverage) are mostly network issues for the carriers. So, really, both parties need to innovate and keep moving forward.

ClayMJohnson
02-05-2004, 03:39 AM
They better have a lot of memory for a 4 megapixel.

Clay Johnson-

Mike Temporale
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
or a SD slot with a nice size card plugged into it. :wink: