View Full Version : How is Voq going to do push email

Talldog
01-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Some folks in my company are pitching upcoming Voq phone as a replacement for our BlackBerry infrastructure, and it's a very seductive pitch (to management, anyway): push email in compliance with accepted enterprise security standards, with no back end server, no desktop redirector, and no additional costs beyond the standard monthly wireless charges. It sounds wonderful, but nobody can seem to tell me how they're going to do it. All Sierra has on their website is a couple of paragraphs of sales boilerplate, and all the "first impression" folks (like CNET, etc.) seem to be parroting Sierra's pitch, with no real insight. Does anyone here know how the push email is going to work?

Mike Temporale
01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
A while back I read a story about Microsoft and RIM working together to bring RIM's BlackBerry push email to Windows Mobile. And just recently I saw something about Samsung expecting to have this working soon. That's one way. The other would be using Exchange 2003, but for that I would expect the phone has to be Smartphone 2003. Which it is not. :?

My guess, look for RIM's technology to be included on this phone. Or the feature will be vaporware.

Talldog
01-30-2004, 05:32 PM
My guess, look for RIM's technology to be included on this phone. Or the feature will be vaporware.
Of course, that would seem to point to a back-end BES server, which they say they're not going to use.

I did a bunch of Google searching, and turned up a couple of references to "push emulation" and using VPN to access the corporate network, which would suggest perhaps an automated "pull" function.

I have to say though, that their website doesn't inspire confidence. All I see is flash with absolutely no technical detail to back it up.