View Full Version : Network Switching

baslanides
01-25-2004, 06:14 PM
I have a question. I live in Chicago and I am having poor reception at my business with AT&T on my mpx200. My friend has TMobile and at the same place has max reception on his older Motorola phone. My question is- What if I manually go into my mpx and change the network settings so that I use the TMO signal as if I were roaming? Since I have the national plan, I don't care about roaming. Do I need to unlock the phone (I have not done so yet)? At least this way I would have some reception at work.

Is this even feesible? Any other ideas?

Switching to TMO isn't an option 'cuz my phone is on my wife's business account and she gets a good deal with ATT.

Thanks,
Bill

swbuehler
01-29-2004, 09:05 PM
My question is- What if I manually go into my mpx and change the network settings so that I use the TMO signal as if I were roaming? Since I have the national plan, I don't care about roaming. Do I need to unlock the phone (I have not done so yet)? At least this way I would have some reception at work.

You can manually select T-mobile as your network (Programs -> Settings -> 1)Telephony -> 8)Networks, change "Network Selection" to "Manual"; when you next lose network it will prompt you for which one to use). I have the issue in the Brandon, Florida, area where the phone will bounce onto T-Mobile's network even when AT&T Wireless has a signal.

Keep in mind, if you roam off AT&T Wireless' network you will be paying a 2-cent-per-kilobyte roaming charge (in addition to your plan rate) for mMode usage and SMS messages while roaming are charged at 25 cents instead of 10 cents (it will show up on your detail bill as "ROAM TEXT MSG"). 8O