View Full Version : The Rise of Wireless Travel Tech

Jason Dunn
01-14-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/01/13/biz.trav.road.tech/' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/01/13/biz.trav.road.tech/</a><br /><br /></div>"Executives on the road can get a little nervous if they cannot be contacted, even for a second or two. Maybe the secretary is calling with a crucial message, or perhaps it's the boss, spouse or client. For business travellers, whether in a plane or at the hotel bar, being able to keep in touch with people, the Internet and corporate files via mobile, wireless networks has become essential. And as the boundaries begin to blur between the different technology kits -- PC, mobile, laptop, PDA --- so does the distinction between work and personal time..."<br /><br />Interesting article. The last line I quoted above about the mixing of personal and business time makes me think of my own life - I truly have no distinction between personal and business time. I work off and on all day and night, always checking my email before going to sleep, and it's often the first thing I do in the morning. When I'm out for dinner with my wife, I check my email using my Smartphone. What's it like in your life - do you have a separation between work and personal time, or have connected mobile devices completely obliterated that? What are the repercussions of that, and how have you adapted to them? (I'm somewhat of an amateur sociologist, so I find discussions like this fascinating...)

pdaisdead
01-15-2004, 04:24 PM
"Executives on the road can get a little nervous if they cannot be contacted, even for a second or two. Maybe the secretary is calling with a crucial message, or perhaps it's the boss, spouse or client. For business travellers, whether in a plane or at the hotel bar, being able to keep in touch with people, the Internet and corporate files via mobile, wireless networks has become essential. And as the boundaries begin to blur between the different technology kits -- PC, mobile, laptop, PDA --- so does the distinction between work and personal time..."

Interesting article. The last line I quoted above about the mixing of personal and business time makes me think of my own life - I truly have no distinction between personal and business time. I work off and on all day and night, always checking my email before going to sleep, and it's often the first thing I do in the morning. When I'm out for dinner with my wife, I check my email using my Smartphone. What's it like in your life - do you have a separation between work and personal time, or have connected mobile devices completely obliterated that? What are the repercussions of that, and how have you adapted to them? (I'm somewhat of an amateur sociologist, so I find discussions like this fascinating...)

Exactly! I've been living this way for quite a while as well. Especially for those of us that work for ourselves, work is 24 hour affair, with almost no distinction between it and personal life.

This is the biggest reason I need a smart phone. Were I using a 2 device or more setup, I might frequently be without something I need. I'm not going to bring, say my PDA, everywhere. So I really do need a small, go anywhere phone that can do it all and is my main, reliable source of data.