View Full Version : Voice Command for Smartphone

Robert Levy
01-10-2004, 09:09 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2121' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2121</a><br /><br /></div>According to Geekzone, Microsoft has announced (though I can't find anything official on this) plans to release a Smartphone version of Voice Command. Voice Command is a really cool Pocket PC application released late last year which lets you control your device by speaking to it. You can ask it to display a contact, play music from a certain album/artist/genra, open a program, make a phone call, and a few other things. It's become one of my favorite Pocket PC apps and having a Smartphone version would definitely be very cool.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> The Geekzone editor pointed me to the original press release and here's what it says exactly: <i>"When the next Windows Mobile-based Smartphones become available, consumers will be able to experience firsthand the benefits of Voice Command to see what has everyone talking."</i>

freitasm
01-10-2004, 09:46 PM
er... Sometimes I don't disclose my sources, but this one is public. Just PM you with the PR.

Announced during the CES :wink:

Robert Levy
01-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks!

Skitals
01-11-2004, 01:29 AM
How does this differ from Voice Signal on my i600? You can already launch apps, bring up contacts, make calls, etc with your voice. What else does Voice Command do that Voice Signal doesnt? (besides "play music from a certain album/artist/genra").

Robert Levy
01-11-2004, 01:39 AM
I'm not familiar with "Voice Signal" but let's talk about the second part of Voice Command... not only can you talk to it, but it also talks to you. You can ask it questions like "What song is this?" or "What are my appointments for tomorrow?" and it will speak back the answer to you. Additionally, you can set it up to speak reminders to you (instead of the usual alarm sound you get when an appointment is coming up, Voice Command will read the name of the appointment to you).

Skitals
01-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Sounds cool. Im suprised you havent heard of Voice Signal... it comes on the Samsung i600, I had assumed it was on all Smartphones. You hold down the internet button for 2 seconds and the phone asks (speaks) for a command. You can launch an app or game by speaking "open internet exporer", bring up a contacts info, dial a contact, etc. My favorite is the Digital Dial command, where you just speak the phone number you want to dial, like you were dictating it to a friend. I use it for when im calling someone, but i dont have their number but a friend does, and I just have them tell the phone the number, instead of telling me and punch it in.