View Full Version : Vodofone Delays Smartphone Plans

Robert Levy
12-22-2003, 07:18 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_504375,00030001.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_504375,00030001.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In an interview with the Financial Times, Vodafone chief executive Arun Sarin said of the system: "In our view, it's not quite ready for prime time." The pair already co-operate on mobile standards but have not signed a deal on operating systems, the paper said. The newspaper described the comments as a setback to Microsoft's ambitions in the telecommunications industry."</i><br /><br />Essentially, Vodafone (the largest mobile operator in the world) is saying that they are not planning to release a phone with Microsoft's Smartphone operating system until unspecified improvements are made. This is not too surprising since T-Mobile has been saying the same thing for a while now. When I asked T-Mobile for an example of what improvements need to be made, a representative cited the long boot-up time of a Smartphone (which is more than 1 minute the first time you turn the device on) as something that will make the current devices unacceptable to their customers and a burden on their staff.<br /><br />Orange has been the industry leader in terms of adopting Microsoft's Smartphone platform and pushing it forward by launching new devices and services. But by being the first, they've taken a lot of heat for the problems that have been encountered while going through this uncharted territory. On the other hand, they've built up a lot of great PR and a loyal customer base for the same reasons and the fact that early adopters understand that innovation comes with problems. <br /><br />If you aren't going to be the innovator in a market, your customers will not be so forgiving if you fall for the same problems that the innovators have already uncovered. So the question that each mobile operator must continually ask themselves is whether the Smartphone platform is mature enough to satisfy their users - robust enough for their staff to be able to properly support. Verizon and AT&T Wireless believe that the latest builds of Smartphone 2002 meet these requirements and rumors are going around that T-Mobile will finally launch a Smartphone some time next year with the Smartphone 2003 operating system. Hopefully Vodafone will follow suit.

ShivShanks
12-22-2003, 09:26 PM
When I asked T-Mobile for an example of what improvements need to be made, a representative cited the long boot-up time of a Smartphone (which is more than 1 minute the first time you turn the device on) as something that will make the current devices unacceptable to their customers and a burden on their staff.

What stupid statements these operators make sometimes. Long boot-up time is such a big problem for them? Let me see now ... The Samsung A500 I used to own previously (and there are GSM models of the same) AFAIK used to take about 30-40 seconds to boot. So its not like the other advanced color phones don't take long to boot. Besides the WM phones are one of the more advanced ones with a WinCE based OS in it. While everyone would like that to be reduced I don't see why its such a big problem compared to other phones that one cannot introduce it. I mean cell phones are booted up much much lesser than any other computing device.

So the question that each mobile operator must continually ask themselves is whether the Smartphone platform is mature enough to satisfy their users - robust enough for their staff to be able to properly support. Verizon and AT&T Wireless believe that the latest builds of Smartphone 2002 meet these requirements and rumors are going around that T-Mobile will finally launch a Smartphone some time next year with the Smartphone 2003 operating system. Hopefully Vodafone will follow suit.

Again its the slow plodding elephant like pace at which these mega operators move and their internal politics which is more to blame. For heaven's sake the WM2003 OS has been avl for quite some time now so I don't see why they should complain about shortcomings in the old WM2002. These inpet slow moving operators are just trying to put a different spin on thier own inability to move fast enough. If Verizon (which is pretty big and sloooow moving) can do it then anyone can. Don't let all these public comments fool you. I'll bet anything that politics and beauracracy has more to do with it than anything overarchingly technical now.

Marc Zimmermann
12-23-2003, 11:29 AM
[...] until unspecified improvements are made. [...]
I'm wondering if this includes plastering "Vodafone live!" all over the place instead of Microsoft's Windows Mobile branding? If so... :roll:

possmann
12-23-2003, 08:20 PM
weak excuses at best... No one wants ot be bleeding edge anymore because it costs too much and is such a big gamble. I have to applaud ATT first step forward - although not for their service - :lol:

I share your frustration at the internal politics of not releasing a 2003 device - which is clearly availble. I hust have to shake my head at the others... Why are we so screwed in the head over here in the US when it comes to adopting mobile technology advancements?
:bad-words: