View Full Version : Anyway of Active Synching a Pocket PC and Smartphone at the same time

leigho
12-19-2003, 12:26 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/01/scitech/pcanswer/main603281.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/01/scitech/pcanswer/main603281.shtml</a><br /><br /></div>I am running an iPAQ 3970 on PPC2002 and a Moto MPx200. I can synch them both via AS if I remove one device from its cradle and then put the other one in the other cradle. If I have them both in their cradles at the same time AS doesn't let me select one of them from the File menu to synch with and certainly does nothing automatically as it only seems to think the device that was connected first exists.Is there a better way of them both synching throughout the day at the same time?I notice the USB cradle also charges the phone without an external supply. Cool feature 8) Leigh

Macguy59
12-19-2003, 06:17 PM
I am running an iPAQ 3970 on PPC2002 and a Moto MPx200. I can synch them both via AS if I remove one device from its cradle and then put the other one in the other cradle. If I have them both in their cradles at the same time AS doesn't let me select one of them from the File menu to synch with and certainly does nothing automatically as it only seems to think the device that was connected first exists.

Is there a better way of them both synching throughout the day at the same time?

I notice the USB cradle also charges the phone without an external supply. Cool feature 8)

Leigh

I suppose you could change the A/S schedule on one of the devices, but if A/S is only "seeing" one of them . . .not sure.

pk
01-01-2004, 09:38 PM
ActiveSync only supports a single connected device at a time. It also will not support multiple devices connected through different interfaces (ie one through USB, one through serial). Nor will AS run multiple instances, with each connected to it's own interface. If you try to start another AS session, it checks first if it is already running and won't start another instance.

AS connects through a specific TCP port and it holds that connection open as long as the device is connected. If that port is already connected, it won't be able to be reused. It'd be like calling two different people on your single phone line and expecting to be able to keep each conversation isolated and understandable. Everyone would be stepping on each other and it would end up as chatter.

Bummer.

leigho
01-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I'd given up on it anyway but that confirms my fears.

Leigh