View Full Version : E-mail setup

ewn
12-08-2003, 06:30 PM
E-mail Setup.
Does anyone know what is the outgoing mail server for earthlink. Verizon told me 2 different things. One I can't send mail without wireless sync or 2 use smtpauth.earthlink.net. That does not work. I really want to be able to send e-mail without using wireless sync

Santa Fe
12-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Did you try mail.earthlink.net

ewn
12-08-2003, 10:05 PM
i did and it did not work

kaps
12-08-2003, 10:17 PM
If anyone has trouble connecting with MSN email, here is the fix. It might work for other providers as well.

1) Change the phone settings to connect to the Internet using pass through instead of automatic.
2) Connect the phone to the computer and sing in to Passport/Hotmail. It should connect this way. Check the box to sign in automatically.
3) After you get in Hotmail, disconnect your phone from the PC and change the connection settings back to automatic.
4) Try Hotmail or Mobile MSN sites. They should work now.

Karl

Santa Fe
12-09-2003, 12:22 AM
ewn
I am able to recieve but not send e-mail also. Was not aware that I could not send until I saw your message.

One work around is to send a text message which you probably are aware of. At the new e-mail message screen type 6245 in the TO: field and the e-mail adress you are sending to in the Subj: field.

That works for me. But there must be someway to make this work correctly.

Santa Fe
12-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Now it works. I checked "server requires authentication" under e-mail options - sending"

Let me know.

ewn
12-09-2003, 03:25 AM
I checked server requires authentication. Again, I use earthlink and have tried using both smtp.vzwmail.net, mail.earthlink.net and smtpauth.earthlink.net. Nothing seems to work. What is your pop mail account.

Santa Fe
12-09-2003, 03:39 AM
ewn
First I had to delete all my e-mail settings and start over.
I use mail.earthlink.net for incoming and smtpauth.earthlink.net for outgoing server.

One other thing that I found I had to do (rainy day so I could not go ride and had time to experiment) was to put my complete e-mail address in the user name box.

Then I had to do a soft re-set of cutting the phone off and leaving it off for about five minutes.

I noticed that "server requires authentication" does not always stay checked for some reason.

My signal is not always strong so I'm not sure if that was part of the problem or not. But after doing the above I was able to send e-mails.

Let me know. We want to get this working for you.

Drlbg
12-09-2003, 03:52 AM
I learned the hard way...Verizon does not supply any email relaying...so unless your ISP does, you need another gateway to send mail. Some report that mail.airbridge.net might work...it did not for me...I found that if I purchased an inexpensive annual subscription ($50) to smtp.com and used that in the outgoing mail setting....sending email from my i600 worked flawlessly....some say that Verizon will provide an email Gateway sometime next year....hmmm.....want to wait for that one??

Good Luck!

Santa Fe
12-09-2003, 04:36 AM
like I said I am able to send and recieve using earthlink and verizon. After playing around with every setting I could think of however.

ewn
12-09-2003, 04:52 PM
I got to give you credit, my phone now sends and receives on earthlink. Thanks for your help

Santa Fe
12-10-2003, 08:39 PM
EWN
Old cowboy/mountain biker earns geek points :lol:

Glad it worked.