View Full Version : MPx200 Smartphone Keeps Things Simple

Robert Levy
12-07-2003, 05:56 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40645-2003Dec6.html' target='_blank'>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40645-2003Dec6.html</a><br /><br /></div>Here's yet another positive review of the MPx200. This one comes from Rob Pegoraro of the Washington Post:<br /><br />"The awkward truth about handheld organizers is that many people operate them in read-only mode: They ignore the handwriting-recognition software or miniature keyboards on Palm or Pocket PC handhelds and enter data only when they synchronize these gadgets with their computers. <br /><br />The awkward truth about Internet-connected phones, meanwhile, is that most people don't want always-on access: Instead of a BlackBerry buzzing with new e-mail every few minutes, they would just like the option to check their inbox every now and then. <br /><br />The Motorola MPx200, the first cell phone available in the United States with Microsoft's "Smartphone 2002" Pocket PC software, must have been built with those truths in mind."

Jason Dunn
12-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Ah, good old Rob Pegoraro - believe it or not, this is a glowing review from him. His reviews of Pocket PCs were hyper-critical and Palm-biased, and this review is refreshing in that he seems to understand what a Smartphone is meant to be - sort of. Criticizing it for not opening Word documents seems a bit silly - it's not a PDA, it's a phone. He also ignores the powerful tie-ins with Exchange, but seems to grasp that it's a good email device.

James Sonne
12-07-2003, 09:42 PM
I wonder, considering AT&T's situation, whether they'd let me upgrade to this Smartphone if I agreed to stick with them for another year.

Luzerman
12-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Jason, I have to disagree these things are supposed to be replacements for PDAs and phones. Some people are even touting them as laptop replacements. If the GPRS modem was just a little bit faster and the device could render webpages faster then despite the lack of a reasonable text entry method they could replace my laptop on at least half my trips.

As for the lack of ability to open Word documents I would agree with him. I know there is third party software for this but I was really disappointed when I found out that there would be no Pocket Word or heck even just a reader.

I personally am hoping to see the devices get to the point where they are laptop replacements. The only problems I currently have is a serious lack of software and that they need a better text input option.

aristoBrat
12-07-2003, 10:56 PM
As for the lack of ability to open Word documents I would agree with him. I know there is third party software for this but I was really disappointed when I found out that there would be no Pocket Word or heck even just a reader.
Wow!

After all the flack MS got about their 'sub-par' Office products on the PocketPCs, I thought people would be ELATED to not see them on a Smartphone.

My guess is that MS knows that a third-party will come out with something that would be a lot better than the token stuff MS threw in on the PPC.

As for software, .. give it some time. There's no comparison between the amount of software available for PocketPCs two summers ago to what's out there now. I think Smartphones will be the same.

If you build it (market share), they will come (application developers). :)

Luzerman
12-08-2003, 03:59 PM
I understand and I've done some complaining about the usability of Pocket Word and Excel. I've been hoping for a usability update to those two pieces of software from the beginning. But I still find it disappointing that there is no basic support for something that I think is important. I don't want to edit or write documents on my smartphon. I just want to look at them right out of the box so I don't have to buy lots of new software right away or if something happens I want to be able to access the documents on my SD card without having to install new software after a hard reset.

possmann
12-09-2003, 12:07 AM
:cry: l want 2003 now!
You know, if Motorola would agree to provide the Upgrade l would strongly consider moving from TMobile to ATT -hmm.

aristoBrat
12-09-2003, 01:14 AM
:cry: l want 2003 now!
You know, if Motorola would agree to provide the Upgrade l would strongly consider moving from TMobile to ATT -hmm.
The longer the time it takes T-Mobile to release their MS Smartphone, the higher the chance that it will be Windows Mobile 2003. :)

With T-Mo's GPRS rates (unlimited WAP/POP3/IMAP/SMTP for free, unlimited full Internet access for $20), I'm not sure I'd want to leave them.

possmann
12-10-2003, 01:46 PM
I have to agree on the Tmo comment - I don't want to leave them... Ï just hate waiting... :cry:

Comments on Laptop replacements:
I don't think that the Smartphone is being sold as a laptop replacement - now I have, on several occasions, replaced my laptop on shorter (couple of day) road trips with my pocketpc with no issues, but I could not see doing that with just a smartphone.

That is why I will move to the smartphone/tabletpc combo. I've got a tabletpc - whioch by the way is AMAZING - now just waiting to Motorola to come out with it's bluetooth, SDIO 2003 device and I'll be in Nirvana... at least until the new enhanced resolution devices start to emerge - LOL