View Full Version : AT&T Wireless and Microsoft Launch Windows Mobile Start Service For Motorola MPx200 Phones

Jason Dunn
12-08-2003, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone/' target='_blank'>http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone/</a><br /><br /></div>"AT&amp;T Wireless and Microsoft Corp. today launched the Windows Mobile™ Start Service for customers of the Motorola MPx200 phone. The new Windows Mobile Start Service is a Microsoft® Web service that powers an AT&amp;T Wireless Web site where customers can easily and quickly configure their Motorola MPx200 to access personal and work e-mail, mobile-optimized Web sites, free ring tones, home screens, and applications such as games. Customer selections are automatically sent to the phone over the air.<br /><br />“The Windows Mobile Start Service offers a fast and easy way for AT&amp;T Wireless customers to start enjoying terrific new services and capabilities on the Windows Mobile software platform,” said Vince Mendillo, director of the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft. “By combining an innovative and convenient over-the-air setup with a familiar Web-based interface, customers can be more self-sufficient and minimize the need for placing support calls.”<!><br /><br />“This service is the latest collaboration between Microsoft and AT&amp;T Wireless aimed at enhancing the wireless experience of today’s mobile professionals,” said Abhi Ingle, vice president of business data solutions for AT&amp;T Wireless. “We’ve made it simple for customers to get the most out of their Motorola MPx200 with this unique personalization feature.”<br />Motorola MPx200 customers benefit from the combination of AT&amp;T Wireless’ high- speed GSM/GPRS data network and the Windows Mobile software platform, which combines voice calling with the ability to synchronize with PC data, such as Outlook® information, and run software and services that greatly expand the utility of the phone. The Windows Mobile Start Service brings additional value to AT&amp;T Wireless customers by providing one convenient location where they can configure and personalize the following:<br /><br />• <b>E-mail</b>. Customers can easily configure their Outlook e-mail or POP3/IMAP account from their Internet service provider.<br /><br />• <b>Internet favorites</b>. Customers can enrich their mobile Web browsing experience by selecting favorites from a list of Web sites optimized for viewing on small screens, or by adding their own.<br /><br />• <b>Ring tone and home screens</b>. Customers can personalize the look and feel of their Motorola MPx200 with a selection of free polyphonic ring tones and home screens.<br /><br />• Applications. Customers can extend the functionality of their phone and have fun by downloading free software, including games.<br />The Windows Mobile Start Service helps AT&amp;T Wireless deliver enhanced customer service and gives customers a fast, streamlined way to personalize their mobile experience on the Motorola MPx200. To take advantage of the new Windows Mobile Start Service, customers can visit <a href="http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone/">http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone/</a> and click on Customize It. More information on the Motorola MPx200 with Windows Mobile software available through AT&amp;T Wireless also can be found at http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone/."

Macguy59
12-08-2003, 11:25 PM
So I suppose MS is going to do the same thing with the Mx200 that they did when the original iPaq starting shipping. That is ignore every other product :evil: Where's the love for the i600 ?

Robert Levy
12-09-2003, 12:00 AM
If Verizon took it upon themselves to host a similar service, I'm sure Microsoft would be just as supportive

Macguy59
12-09-2003, 12:04 AM
If Verizon took it upon themselves to host a similar service, I'm sure Microsoft would be just as supportive

Perhaps I have the wrong take on it, but it sure seems like this was a MS initiative rather then a Motorola one.

possmann
12-09-2003, 12:13 AM
l really hope this leads to a strong statement about providing an upgrade Path for 2002 to 2003... l would get this phone tomorrow IF l could get some reassurance that an upgrade is en route. Any one have an inside scoop on this? l got a message back from ATT basically stating that nothing is planned -grrr

Terry
12-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Weird...AT&T had this when the MPx200 was release. It actually appears to be a Microsoft site.

Gator5000e
12-09-2003, 04:03 AM
I ordered a MPx200. It was defective. I tried to return it to a local ATT store. The salesman assured me ATT would be releasing an update to WM2003 early next year.

Also, the MPx220 is rumored to be set for release in February. It is supposed to have WM2003, a camera and Bluetooth. Also supposed to work on ATT's new EDGE network. I am returning the 200 and waiting for the 220.

Gator5000e
12-09-2003, 05:36 AM
I ordered a MPx200. It was defective. I tried to return it to a local ATT store. The salesman assured me ATT would be releasing an update to WM2003 early next year.

Also, the MPx220 is rumored to be set for release in February. It is supposed to have WM2003, a camera and Bluetooth. Also supposed to work on ATT's new EDGE network. I am returning the 200 and waiting for the 220.