View Full Version : Microsoft Issues FAT Tax - Time to Diet!

Jason Dunn
12-04-2003, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03120403microsoftisfat.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03120403microsoftisfat.asp</a><br /><br /></div>I found this over at dpreview, and it impact all of us who use Flash memory cards in our Pocket PCs and Smartphones:<br /><br />"Microsoft will soon be charging manufacturers of flash memory card devices and those which use them $0.25 per unit or up to $250,000 to use the FAT filesystem. For those who are unaware the FAT file system was developed by Microsoft back in 1976 and has become the standard file system for all digital still cameras. Microsoft owns patents to the FAT File System but for many years hasn't even hinted that it may one day decide to charge for it. These new licenses appear to come into effect immediately and specifically make mention of 'compact flash memory cards' and 'portable digital still cameras'. What a great way for Microsoft to cash in on the most popular consumer products (as if they don't make enough money already)."<br /><br />Phil Askey notes that the solution might be as simple as not formatting the cards before sending them - I wonder if that would work? I also wonder about FAT32 - does Microsoft have the same type of patents on that format? Ultimately, I think this is ridiculous and will only serve to make Flash memory more expensive for the end-user. I hope Sandisk and the other Flash memory makers find a way to get around this - I never approve of companies making money in this fashion (through lawyers and old patents rather than through innovation).

Robert Levy
12-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Phil Askey notes that the solution might be as simple as not formatting the cards before sending them - I wonder if that would work?

Probably, but then its only a matter of time before they start charging manufacturers (only those using non-MS platforms, of course) for including software that will format the cards.

Sure it will make them money, but stuff like this is why many people despise Microsoft. :(

Ramin
12-05-2003, 05:59 AM
$0.25 per unit? That's just 25 cents added to the cost of a CF or MMC or SD card... Would it really inflate the prices of Flash memory media if this cost was transferred to the End-user?

BTW- I'm not condoning this practice of imposing license fees (out of the blue) 20-odd years later... and I agree, it's exactly for this reason that Microsoft is despised.

Maybe Microsoft just wants everyone to switch to NTFS? ;) j/k