View Full Version : Consumers Are Replacing Their Home Phones with Cell Phones

Robert Levy
11-30-2003, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031125/255679_1.html' target='_blank'>http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031125/255679_1.html</a><br /><br /></div>""Consumers are pulling the plug," said Dan Ness, principal analyst with MetaFacts. "Nationwide, nearly one in thirty (3.5%) households with Home PCs have no phone line, up from 2.4% only one year ago and 0.3% the year before that. Although this number may seem small, it's part of a growing trend that we spotted the year before. At the same time, the 2-line household is in decline, decreasing to less than one fourth (23.2%) from 26.5% the year before.""<br /><br />I know there are a lot of people taking this route, but I never would have guessed that 1 in 30 would be the number. I wonder what percentage of people actually <i>need</i> a regular phone line in addition to a cell phone. I could probably survive without one - how about you?

Luzerman
11-30-2003, 04:19 PM
About 5 years ago I gave up on having a voice land line into my home. I simply traveled too much for work and play that I was never around. I still had a fax for work for a short time but when I switched jobs that went away as well.

In the four and a half years I've lived off my cell phone I've had a few $400.00 plus bills so its not for the faint of wallet though the rate plans are getting better all the time.

encece
11-30-2003, 07:22 PM
I was using T-Mobile which had NO RECEPTION in my home so I coulnt make the switch. Now that I have Verizon again...I will reduce my home phone to the bare minimum. Just for emergencies. You never know when the Aliens will knock a couple of sattalites out. Kill their communications....that's the first priority in engagement.

Fitch
11-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Moved to LA three years ago, never got a landline. At first, when, say, signing up for things, I was asked for "home number" I'd say, "I only have a cell phone" and they'd be stuck in their tracks, not able to offer me whatever I was signing up for! Now, I just say "I don't want to disclose that" or, if they insist, I just give them my cell number.

The best part is that I've only gotten two telemarketing calls. One from Sprint, who is my carrier, and wanted me to renew my plan (i told them never to call back) and one from a lobbyist group who got my number from my voting registration. I then removed my number from my voting information, haven't had a single one since.

Wuss912
11-30-2003, 08:29 PM
i have one for one reason only...
i need dsl

TomB
11-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Get cable (you don't need to pay for cable programs just the broadband - at least in NYC). That way you can use the cable for the Internet and for inexpensive phone service with an analog to digital phone through your router.

Jason Dunn
12-01-2003, 04:12 AM
I'm obviously in the minority here in the forums. :-D

I'm quite font of my big-screen, speakerphone-friendly phone in my downstairs office. I like having a big phone with big buttons (compared to the wee buttons on a mobile phone). I like having a great, loud speakerphone on a phone that is securely seated on my desk. But most of all? I like having a phone that I don't need to recharge, and one that will always be ready for me to use when I need it.

Also, in Canada at least, the rate plans are not NEARLY as generous as the plans in the US. $25 CND ($20 USD) will only get you 100 minutes a month here...I'd hate thinking I was always on the clock, and then the cost savings of ditching the land line suddenly goes away.

Lastly, I have a nagging voice in the back of my brain that tells me a landline phone is simply safer for my brain. 8)

Perhaps in a few more years I'll consider it again!

Wuss912
12-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Get cable (you don't need to pay for cable programs just the broadband - at least in NYC). That way you can use the cable for the Internet and for inexpensive phone service with an analog to digital phone through your router.
i would but i dont like ther draconian TOS

TopDog
12-01-2003, 10:00 AM
The day I was able to get ADSL, we droped the phone-line. That was three years ago, haven't missed it a second 8)

Macguy59
12-02-2003, 12:30 AM
I've been land line free since April of this year. Which happens to be the same month I was hooked up for cable internet service :wink:

David McNamee
12-03-2003, 06:11 PM
I just can't do it... there is zero reception in my house :evil: