View Full Version : What data plan do you have for your i600?

Skitals
11-28-2003, 09:04 PM
I want to be able to surf the net and instant message as much as I want and not worry about paying per mb/kb. I see an unlimited PDA/SmartPhone plan on Verizons site but this is a standalone plan. If I upgrade my phone to the i600, what service would I add for what I want to do? I currently have AmericasChoice Family Plan - $39.99 plus two additional lines so my bill is already $99 a month when you add the text messaging and such. The only add-on serivce i see is Unlimited Data which is like $80 a month!? I also see Mobile Web which is only $4.99... can you use PIE and such with this? On my current phone (motorola v120 or something) I can browse WAP sites with the OpenWave browser and it seems to be free (or using unlimited night and weekends). When I do this, is it using the 1xRTT EN? All of this data stuff confuses me so much. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Macguy59
11-29-2003, 12:03 AM
All I did was add the "data option" for $4.95 a month. With that I can surf, email, etc. all I want but at the cost of talk time. In other words it uses your minutes rather then per minute charges. Since the America's Choice plan includes unlimited nights and weekends . . . I will take advantage of that.

Skitals
11-29-2003, 01:19 AM
I read on Modaco (i think it was) that you can have Express Network turned on for free to use your minutes. On my current phone I can already browse WAP sites using my minutes, but I dont know if this is using the 1xRTT network or something else, though I know my phone is 1x capable. I wonder what extra that $5 option adds beyond this included service?

I know there are two different data services at Verizon... the EN and another slower one I believe is called Quick2Net or something. The EN is up to 144kbps and the other is only 14kbps. I was on the understanding that the $5 option is this slower network.

See how confusing all this is? Oy. Anyone care to clear it all up?

Thanks a lot!

Macguy59
11-29-2003, 01:31 AM
I read on Modaco (i think it was) that you can have Express Network turned on for free to use your minutes. On my current phone I can already browse WAP sites using my minutes, but I dont know if this is using the 1xRTT network or something else, though I know my phone is 1x capable. I wonder what extra that $5 option adds beyond this included service?

I know there are two different data services at Verizon... the EN and another slower one I believe is called Quick2Net or something. The EN is up to 144kbps and the other is only 14kbps. I was on the understanding that the $5 option is this slower network.

See how confusing all this is? Oy. Anyone care to clear it all up?

Thanks a lot!

I am able to connect to and use the 1x network with my above plan.

Skitals
11-29-2003, 01:44 AM
What I am saying is you can add that for FREE to current plans (express network using your minute allowance)... why do you need to pay $5 a month for it?

Macguy59
11-29-2003, 01:46 AM
What I am saying is you can add that for FREE to current plans (express network using your minute allowance)... why do you need to pay $5 a month for it?

Because at the time I renewed my contract I didn't know it would work without it.

greenmozart
11-29-2003, 05:28 PM
The Unlimited PDA/SmartPhone data plan can be added to any voice plan. I have a FS 800 plan and added this to my primary line for $45/month because I didn't want to even deal with the possibility of going over my voice minutes or having the EN MOU option cut off without notice (or having VZW decide to charge me for the minutes as some people have reported). It works great and I can even use my i600 as a wireless modem for my laptop. 2Wire reported a connection speed of around 63Kbps yesterday when I tested it. I am so excited to have this phone and unlimited data. The ONLY drawback is the inability to receive voice calls while using the data connection, but I'll just have to learn to live with that - heck, it's better than having no wireless internet at all.

John Cody
12-01-2003, 10:52 PM
Because at the time I renewed my contract I didn't know it would work without it.

I'm pretty sure you can drop that $5.95 "data" option even though you have a contract and it won't extend or change the contract at all - I believe the contract only locks in the "plan", not the options.

flash
12-05-2003, 07:01 AM
I have 800 minutes America's Choice and the unlimited data plan. Tastes great, less filling. I'll probably change the regular phone to a family plan with less minutes to save the $$$.

I set my phone to synch calendar and email wirelessly every 2 hours when the phone is undocked. That way I'm always reasonably close to up to date on my incoming mail.

I also dredged up a local traffic flow map for the Seattle area. It downloads a few hundred bytes of data at a time and yet it shows the same map data as the Washington State DOT web site. :D