View Full Version : Why i600? I'll tell you.

flash
11-27-2003, 07:51 AM
Hello from a Smartphone newbie.

I attended a Smartphone briefing at my company recently. The presenter was a guy from MS smartphone land. I asked why anyone would buy the uber-expensive i600 when the MPx200 is snazzy looking and way cheap by comparison. His answer was that the i600 was "just better hardware". From the context I think he was talking about all the stuff that comes in the box with the i600 and the fact that it uses 1xRTT. I did not have time to ask for clarification.

The MPx200 is a really cool looking phone but it's slower, has poor coverage over the territory I wander around in, etc. A couple of my buddies have them so I've gotten to check 'em out a few times. The phones. :D

At the above mentioned briefing, I got to play with the MPx200 and i600 side by side. I do like the MPx200 cuz it's smaller and reminds me of the V60 series that I have now. The buttons on the i600 look sorta funny but worked well.

I'm on a Verizon family plan. I can get an i600 on that plan, add unlimited data, give my wife the v60, retire the Motorola Timeport, and we both get to keep our current phone numbers.

My i600 gets here on Friday. 8)

Jason Dunn
11-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Let us know what you think of the i600 when you get it. :D

aristoBrat
11-28-2003, 05:11 PM
His answer was that the i600 was "just better hardware". From the context I think he was talking about all the stuff that comes in the box with the i600 and the fact that it uses 1xRTT. I did not have time to ask for clarification.
The only difference I saw in what comes in the box is that the i600 comes with two batteries (one of which is extended). The MPx only has one battery, but comes with two headsets -- one with two ear buds, and one with one ear bud. Oh yeah, the MPx cradle needs to be snapped together -- the i600 is ready to go. ;)

I think the i600 has an Intel 200mhz processor, while the MPx usings a TI-OMAP 132mhz or something like that. IMO, they both were about as zippy.

1x is definately a lot faster than GPRS, but I really hate that while you're surfing 1x, incoming calls go to voicemail. :(

Hope your phone shows up today -- you'll have a blast with it!!!! If I could get incoming calls while surfing, and if VZW's plans were a little more competitive I DEFINATELY would have kept mine!!

Skitals
11-28-2003, 08:57 PM
I didnt know that about incoming calls going to voicemail... if they leave a message, will your phone still beep or whatever and tell you you have a new voicemail while you are still surfing? What about text messages... can you still recieve them while surfing or will them come in when you disconnect?

aristoBrat
11-28-2003, 09:07 PM
I didnt know that about incoming calls going to voicemail... if they leave a message, will your phone still beep or whatever and tell you you have a new voicemail while you are still surfing? What about text messages... can you still recieve them while surfing or will them come in when you disconnect?
I only got voicemail notifications after I hung up the data connection -- never tried text messages while surfing. Can anyone else verify this?

Macguy59
11-29-2003, 12:13 AM
His answer was that the i600 was "just better hardware". From the context I think he was talking about all the stuff that comes in the box with the i600 and the fact that it uses 1xRTT. I did not have time to ask for clarification.
The only difference I saw in what comes in the box is that the i600 comes with two batteries (one of which is extended). The MPx only has one battery, but comes with two headsets -- one with two ear buds, and one with one ear bud. Oh yeah, the MPx cradle needs to be snapped together -- the i600 is ready to go. ;)

I think the i600 has an Intel 200mhz processor, while the MPx usings a TI-OMAP 132mhz or something like that. IMO, they both were about as zippy.

1x is definately a lot faster than GPRS, but I really hate that while you're surfing 1x, incoming calls go to voicemail. :(

Hope your phone shows up today -- you'll have a blast with it!!!! If I could get incoming calls while surfing, and if VZW's plans were a little more competitive I DEFINATELY would have kept mine!!

Hmm I wonder if that is an issue just for the 1x network. If you forced the phone to use the slower network does it do the same thing?

Macguy59
11-29-2003, 12:38 AM
The xtra horsepower in the i600 is good for impressing people with how your phone can play movies/video clips but not much else at the current time. I have had my phone for about 10 days now and absolutely love it. The only problem I have encountered is that for some reason apps-even certified ones-simply will not install the way they were designed to via activesync. I have to manually copy the .CAB file over to the phone and install from there. I love having my PDA and cell phone in a single relatively small package. Apps open fairly quickly but not instantaneous like my iPaq 2210. Video clips played in WMP and PocketTV run smooth with no discernable dropped frames. Web browsing when using the 1x network is surprisingly snappy. Using IA Album, pictures open quickly and thumbnails are generated fast. The UI could be better but is usable. It's only a matter of time before better 'home' screens are designed. Now if Samsung will provide us with the Smartphone 2003 upgrade . . .

Skitals
11-29-2003, 01:27 AM
:( I miss my ipaq 2210... why did you have to bring that up. My car was broken into a little over a month ago and my whole stereo was stolen (head unit, amp, subs, etc) as well as my ipaq 2210, socket bt gps, and piel frama case :oops: I have been PDAless since then. Instead of getting a new pocket pc, im thinking about getting a smartphone... being someone that has BOTH, can a smartphone replace the ipaq completely? I am really a power user, use to even have a semi-big pocket pc website.

All these phones and carriers really annoy me. You have good phones with crappy providers, expensive and crappy phone on the good ones. Even if you find a good phone on a good carrier data rates will either be obscene or the service will be sub-par. You just cant win.

I see the o2 xda II is out in the UK. Now that looks like a pocket pc phone edition i wouldnt mind having. Looks like it has the same specs as my old 2210 (minus the cf slot)... including bluetooth.... PLUS a built in camera. All on wm 2003 w/ a pxa263 (better then the ipaq).

ARGGGG.

Macguy59
11-29-2003, 01:42 AM
:( I miss my ipaq 2210... why did you have to bring that up. My car was broken into a little over a month ago and my whole stereo was stolen (head unit, amp, subs, etc) as well as my ipaq 2210, socket bt gps, and piel frama case :oops: I have been PDAless since then. Instead of getting a new pocket pc, im thinking about getting a smartphone... being someone that has BOTH, can a smartphone replace the ipaq completely? I am really a power user, use to even have a semi-big pocket pc website.

All these phones and carriers really annoy me. You have good phones with crappy providers, expensive and crappy phone on the good ones. Even if you find a good phone on a good carrier data rates will either be obscene or the service will be sub-par. You just cant win.

I see the o2 xda II is out in the UK. Now that looks like a pocket pc phone edition i wouldnt mind having. Looks like it has the same specs as my old 2210 (minus the cf slot)... including bluetooth.... PLUS a built in camera. All on wm 2003 w/ a pxa263 (better then the ipaq).

ARGGGG.

Depends entirely on what you used your PPC for. In my case it was used overwhelmingly for contacts, excel and entertainment. While at home I did take advantage of the CF slot for a WiFi card on my wirleless network. The only things I miss so far is an excel like spreadsheet and Avantgo. With time I'm confident both of those items will be available. My problem with the XDA type devices is that it's really a PPC that has phone capabilites. It's best served by using a headset . . . something I really didn't want to have to do. I use my cell phone a lot more then the 2210, so that function was more important to me.

flash
12-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks all, for the replies.

So far the i600 is working out really well. It's definitely a brick compared to the V60 I used to carry and doesn't fit well in my side pants pocket. Aside from that, it's awesome. I can synch up my email any time anywhere, check local traffic -- lots o' stuff.

My Toshiba e310 is falling apart. I was hoping to retire it once I got used to the i600. Ain't gonna happen. I can do anything PIM related with the SmartPhone plus lots of other stuff but I can't use it to take notes or read eBooks. Guess maybe I'll keep the Toshiba on life support until I can sneak a new PDA past the loving wife 8)

Cheers,

Flash

MajesticNJ
12-15-2003, 05:04 PM
ARGGG! You guys are making me think about taking the plunge. I currently have an Ipaq 5455 with expansion sleeve and microdrive. I played around with the i600 the other day at the Verizon store. They actually had a working unit on the floor.

It's great! I love it. Lets me do lots of what I think I need.

Now I am trying to make sure that it IS all I need. I wrote down a list of things that I do with my Ipaq then I put a 1w, 2w, 3w, M, or 2m next to each feature. They stand for 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, One month or 2 months.

It turns out that the features I use the most per that method were contacts, calendar, avantgo for new and weather on my lunch or off-time, and a few games here and there. The rest??? GPS I used once or twice in 3 months. Wireless Lan I used once or twice in 2 months. I can't put them at the top of the food chain with that useage.

I would also think that there will be wireless cards and bluetooth cards for SD soon so I could regain some of that functionality. I also have a laptop so I can still use that for GPS and WLan.

I think I have convinced myself but thought I would post here to see what you all have to say? How did you justify replacing your PPC with a SP? (There's a good poll and topic if I ever heard one!!!)

Fred

Santa Fe
12-15-2003, 06:16 PM
I have made the decision to stick with the Smartphone since the information functions (e-wallet, calendar, contacts, a few documents for reference) are very useful to have with you most of the time. That means that my PDA is going to take a backseat and be my calculator and reference tool in the house while away from the PC. That said the smartphone is in its very early stages and the PDA functions are crippled compared to a real PDA. They are slower and more cumbersome to use.

There will surely be a lot more in the way of software/hardware being developed for us in the future which will no doubt add to the attractiveness of the device which will probably finish off my PDA use. The combination of the wireless tools (phone, Internet, e-mail) with most of the reference tools I require right in my jeans pocket is very appealing to me.

You should be aware that the screen is very difficult to read outdoors in bright sunlight. Sort of like the early PDA's. And there is an unknown issue with this being the 2002 version of Smartphone. Will software developers reach back for us when they develop new stuff? Will Verizon allow us to upgrade to 2003?

I am also impressed with the phone quality. Used simply as a phone it is the best I've had.

But probably like most of the posters here, the attractiveness of a new device is pretty hard to resist as well. :wink:

Macguy59
12-15-2003, 06:34 PM
For more heavy duty text input I would highly recommend the flexi keyboard for the i600. There is a thread devoted to that with pics. I was bummed at first with not having an Avantgo solution, but with a little research all of the things you could want or need via AG is available with your wirless internet connection. A good place to go for PDA friendly sites is http://pdaportal.us. Of course the downside to this is your using minutes to get this info (without a data plan), but connecting the 1X express network is fairly quick and pages load as fast or faster then a 56k dialup connection. FWIW I and others have contacted Samsung regarding a WM2003 upgrade path. We have all been told that they are testing the upgrade and expect it to be released 1st QT 2004. Of course seeing is believing :wink: There is also a SD based wi-fi card coming out for the i600 (also 1str qtr 2004). The phone has only been out 1 month, so give it a little time for more apps to be ported/created for it. I am a happy owner of the i600 and flexi keyboard :)

Maxlife711
01-02-2004, 08:10 AM
you said (For more heavy duty text input I would highly recommend the flexi keyboard for the i600.) My question is what heavy duty text input are you talking about. I just got the I600 and one of my complaints is there is no way to take notes or rather no place to put them ala pocket word or something similar. Have I missed something, becuase that is an important feature for me.

Macguy59
01-02-2004, 03:31 PM
you said (For more heavy duty text input I would highly recommend the flexi keyboard for the i600.) My question is what heavy duty text input are you talking about. I just got the I600 and one of my complaints is there is no way to take notes or rather no place to put them ala pocket word or something similar. Have I missed something, becuase that is an important feature for me.

There are a couple of note taking apps available. One called Ornata Notes and the popular Smartphonenotes. The latter provides syncing with Outlook besides giving you editor capability.

Maxlife711
01-02-2004, 03:48 PM
There are a couple of note taking apps available. One called Ornata Notes and the popular Smartphonenotes. The latter provides syncing with Outlook besides giving you editor capability.[/quote]

I have found one called NotBad which as its name implies is "not bad". I would prefer Smart Notes, but according to their literature on the Handango website it isn't compatible with the I600 yet. Has that situation changed ? I did a google on Ornata notes and wasn't able to come up with anything. Can you tell me where to find it?

thanks

Macguy59
01-02-2004, 06:56 PM
have found one called NotBad which as its name implies is "not bad". I would prefer Smart Notes, but according to their literature on the Handango website it isn't compatible with the I600 yet. Has that situation changed ? I did a google on Ornata notes and wasn't able to come up with anything. Can you tell me where to find it?

thanks

I would have been helpful had I gotten the name right (Orneta). Sorry about that. You can find it at HERE (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_11_2&jid=B5845X85A9B2EF4DE26313FAEE4DBE5E&platformId=11&siteId=1&productId=63240&advSearch=true&sectionId=4840&keyWords=orneta&catalog=110&txtSearch=orneta)

MajesticNJ
01-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Tried to install Orneta to my i600 and it kept failing saying that it doesn't have the proper rights to install on my device.

Shrug???

Fred

Macguy59
01-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Tried to install Orneta to my i600 and it kept failing saying that it doesn't have the proper rights to install on my device.

Shrug???

Fred

I haven't tried it, but I see there are 2 versions of it. One is specifically for 2003 while the other is for 2002. Did you fetch the right one?

MajesticNJ
01-02-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah I grabbed the one for 2002 at least that is what the link said. I saw that as well. Who knows.

Fred

robinsonb
01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
I too had an iPAQ, but gave it up for the SmartPhone. Truth is, my job was changing and I was going to lose it anyway. The only thing I miss is Microsoft Reader. I used to use my PPC to read books and Avantgo (miss that too) when I didn't have a book with me. Truth is, I never actually finished reading a MS Reader book, so it wasn't a huge loss. I use eWallet the most, and that works fine. Another program is the Resco Picture Viewer - which I use on the SmartPhone too. I like just carrying one device now with my calendar, contacts, and task list - which are the major things I use.

Santa Fe
01-03-2004, 12:28 AM
RobinsonB - Get e-wallet and your life will be complete. :P

robinsonb
01-03-2004, 01:01 AM
I have eWallet, and I love it! Don't know how people do without it. They only charged me $10 to transfer the PPC license over.

colinfle
01-03-2004, 03:28 PM
ARGGG! You guys are making me think about taking the plunge. I currently have an Ipaq 5455 with expansion sleeve and microdrive. I played around with the i600 the other day at the Verizon store. They actually had a working unit on the floor.

Fred

A Verizon store that has a working unit! wow, I couldn't find one fully functional or anyone who knew anything about them. Verizon needs to train its staff on the product.

I got mine yesterday, have 15 days to see if I like it but had to buy up front to get a working demo of the phone.

So far it looks good, and works well as a phone (still my primary need)

colinfle
01-03-2004, 03:36 PM
There are a couple of note taking apps available. One called Ornata Notes and the popular Smartphonenotes. The latter provides syncing with Outlook besides giving you editor capability.
thanks[/quote]

Anyone looked at ListPro

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/lp_ssm.htm#phon

Notes in Outlook is really weak, I am considering trying this again.

Maxlife711
01-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Yeah I grabbed the one for 2002 at least that is what the link said. I saw that as well. Who knows.

Fred

I tried them both and got the same message with each one[/quote]