View Full Version : Software Impulse Purchase Pricing: What's Your Threshold?

Jason Dunn
11-25-2003, 05:02 PM
In the retail world, there's something called an "impulse purchase" - these are the items of candy or little low-cost items located near the cash register in stores, where, when you see them, you just react by grabbing the item you want (gum, candy, etc.) without really thinking about whether or not you truly need it. So here's my question for you as it relates to Smartphone software, because it's something I'm curious about. How inexpensive does Smartphone software need to be for you to buy it without thinking about it too much?

Jason Dunn
11-25-2003, 05:08 PM
My impulse buy trigger point for Smartphone software is $5 - if it's under $5, I'll buy it if I think it's even remotely cool. ;-)

brntcrsp
11-25-2003, 07:01 PM
I would have to agree, with you jason. If I'm going to pay the price of a movie for software - I had sure better like it before I buy it. (i.e. $10 > price point). Where as if it cost about as much as a esspresso, i'd have no problem shelling out cash to play with something.

coreymcl
11-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Well I guess I'm the type of person that developers love. If I see something I want then I buy it. As long as it under $20 then I hardly think about it.

I write it off on my taxes anyway. Oh and I don't buy games that that's not a problem.

dlinker
12-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Would your limit change if the software cost just got added to your phone bill? In Australia, several carriers now allow you to download software, ringtones etc to your smart phone from their web site - and the cost just gets added to your mobile (cell) phone bill. It sure makes the impulse harder to resist - especially at the $5 or less range.