View Full Version : Verizon Plans & Email

robinsonb
11-13-2003, 01:16 AM
I was testing the Sprint Samsung/Palm unit and they have a $10 add on for accounts to get unlimited email. When I bought my i-600 last night at Verizon (will be here Friday), the data plans seem convuluted. If you don't sign up for a specific data plan and you occassionally check email, how do they charge you for that? I was going to get the $6.95/month add on for the Express Network access.

ARW
11-13-2003, 07:55 AM
According to Jahminded, a VZW employee over at HoFo, you should be able to use EN with no add-on plans necessary. Instead, EN time will be deducted from your voice minute bucket. Jah seems as if he knows what he's talking about, but I can't confirm for myself as my calling plan won't be updated until Friday.

I can confirm that the i600 works fine on QNC, though it wuold be nice to have the faster access.

robinsonb
11-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Would they then charge you for the data if you download email via POP?

aristoBrat
11-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Would they then charge you for the data if you download email via POP?
If you have a regular voice plan (and no data plan), then when you connect to the network to do anything (browse, download, sync), you're just using your minutes. :)

robinsonb
11-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Then what's the purpose of the data plan? If you're doing huge amounts of data?

aristoBrat
11-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Then what's the purpose of the data plan? If you're doing huge amounts of data?
Not so much huge amounts vs. spend a lot of time connected.

Sync'ing your email 2x/3x an hour (1 minute a sync) during the business day would cost:

24 minutes a day, which is
120 minutes a 5-day work week, which is about
~520 minutes a month.

So there are still some cases where the $49.99 data plan makes sense. :)