View Full Version : Upgrade to 2003?

possmann
11-06-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm wondering if this, and other smart phones will allow you to Upgrade to the next Os much like the pocketPC does today...

Can anyone help me out with this into? It is one of the main reasons i am hesitating to purchase this phone now.

brntcrsp
11-06-2003, 10:36 PM
I hate to break it to you, but you might want to hesitate longer. While the phone can be upgraded it falls to ATT and Motorola to decide if they want to offer the upgrade. I've had folks tell me that ATT is pretty good about offering upgrades, but on their own schedule. So in all likelyhood a 2003 phone is going to hit the market before ATT or Motorola offer the upgrade.

Unless there is a specific word from either company that states they wil be providing upgrades to 2003 I would operate under the assumption that they won't.

aristoBrat
11-07-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm wondering if this, and other smart phones will allow you to Upgrade to the next Os much like the pocketPC does today...

Can anyone help me out with this into? It is one of the main reasons i am hesitating to purchase this phone now.
Kinda like brntcrsp said, ... if it's anything like the Pocket PC market, new devices running 2003 will probably appear before a 2002 -> 2003 upgrade is available.

HP had there 2003 iPAQ out for a few months before the upgrades for their other models shipped. :: sigh ::

possmann
11-07-2003, 10:14 PM
:?
:cry:
Looks like I'm going to wait a bit longer before getting that Motorola then...

Janak Parekh
11-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Looks like I'm going to wait a bit longer before getting that Motorola then...
Well, you have to decide if you need the features that Smartphone 2003 has. From what I've heard, the MPx200 is a remarkably fast and responsive Smartphone 2002 device and is a pretty solid choice.

--janak

cmorris
11-20-2003, 06:12 AM
I was pretty pessimistic about the MPx200 getting the 2003 upgrade but I think things are looking up. I saw the following post in a newsgroup (from a MS employee):

---
I heard that the MPx200 will be flash-upgradeable to SP2003.
But I don't have a firm source for that, and I don't have an estimated time
of availability either.

On the AT&T Wireless developer forum, a moderator recently (3 November)
posted this notice:
AT&T Wireless is actively exploring with our partners the opportunity to
offer a Windows Mobile 2003 software upgrade for the Motorola MPx200 phone.
Your patience is appreciated during this exploration period.
---

In separate rumors I have heard that they may be targeting 02/2004 for the upgrade. Cross your fingers... :)