View Full Version : More i600 Info From Verizon

David McNamee
11-04-2003, 02:36 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.verizonwireless.com/ics/plsql/equipment.phone_popup?p_mkt_code=Washington%2FBaltimore%2FVirginia&p_name=Samsung%20SPH-i600' target='_blank'>http://www.verizonwireless.com/ics/plsql/equipment.phone_popup?p_mkt_code=Washington%2FBaltimore%2FVirginia&p_name=Samsung%20SPH-i600</a><br /><br /></div>Looks like Verizon is getting serious about releasing the Samsung i600 Smartphone. We were sent a link to the phone's details page on the Verizon website. Some fun points 200 MHz PXA250 Processor GPS position location enabled Expandable SD/IO slot<br />If they show it on the website, it can’t be <i>that</i> much longer, can it?

brntcrsp
11-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Well, I've been using the MPx200 for about a week and it has already changed the way that I use a cell phone and it has certainly become a replacement for the pocket PC in most situations for me. I bought it on a 30 money back guarantee from ATT. Maybe I'll see if I can make the same sort of arrangement with Verizon and test the SPH-i600 out in the PDX area. I happen to live in a complete black hole of ATT coverage and I hope that verizon might have better penetration into the hills around here.

ShivShanks
11-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Looks like Verizon is getting serious about releasing the Samsung i600 Smartphone. We were sent a link to the phone's details page on the Verizon website. Some fun points 200 MHz PXA250 Processor GPS position location enabled Expandable SD/IO slot

Yeah looks like they are really finally omigod-i-cant-believe-it getting serious after testing the phone for an insanely obscene amount of time on their networks for whatever reason ... BTW one fun point I'd also like to make is that by the time this device makes it to the market in any realistic numbers, Samsung would probably announce the next generation WM phones with WM2003 and QVGA resolution. Who knows by then some other carriers who are way faster than Verizon in introducing the newer phones would probably jump straight to WM2003 2nd gen phones. It would be interesting to see what people with the overpriced 1st gen WM phones from Verizon would think? And Oh yes Verizon will start testing the WM2003 phones as soon as they are announced and launch them after thoroughly testing them for a year! Hopefully others will climb onto the WM bandwagon soon to give users more choice and faster introductions.

mar2k
11-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Hmmm, PXA250 XScale? Those were discontinued a while back weren't they? We haven't seen those in a while. Samsung must have stockpiled them.....

WintermuteX
11-04-2003, 04:31 PM
you bring up a good point.. on the pdf specsheet it reads: Strongarm pxa250... what the heck are we getting in this phone?

-Matt

mar2k
11-04-2003, 04:52 PM
you bring up a good point.. on the pdf specsheet it reads: Strongarm pxa250... what the heck are we getting in this phone?

I have a feeling it is just a net result of the fact that it took Verizon so long to test this phone and it is just now on the verge of release. The specs filed with the FCC called for PXA250 XScale which was current at the time, so that's what they must use else they must refile with the FCC further delaying the release date. That's the only explanation I see why they would not use the current PXA255 CPU or better yet the PXA263. It just serves as a reminder of how incredibly long it took to get this phone close to an actual release.

aristoBrat
11-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Who knows by then some other carriers who are way faster than Verizon in introducing the newer phones would probably jump straight to WM2003 2nd gen phones.
Second generation phones on other carriers are pointless to the folks who live in areas where other carriers signals don't seem to penetrate buildings.

Until VZW has some competition there, as crappy as it is, I just don't see them as having an incentive to introduce newer phones faster. :(

dollardr
11-04-2003, 06:41 PM
According to this excerpt from Infosyncworld, its running 2003?????

Featuring the latest version of Microsoft's Windows Mobile for Smartphone platform, the Samsung SPH-i600 has yet to be officially announced by Verizon Wireless, but will compete head-on with the recently announced Motorola MPx200 upon arrival. A tri-band GSM smartphone, the Motorola MPx200 is powered by the previous version of Microsoft's Smartphone platform, and will be carried by AT&T Wireless in the US.

The SPH-i600 is an all-digital handset, offering 800 MHz CDMA and 1900 MHz PCS modes of operation. A clamshell design, the smartphone comes with the usual selection of software bundled with the Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphone platform, including Pocket Outlook, Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, MSN Messenger and more.

Uniquely, the handset not only features integrated GPS but also an SDIO capable SD/MMC Card expansion slot, theoretically enabling use of accessories such as Wi-Fi SDIO cards. A 200 MHz Intel PXA250 XScale processor powers the handset, which also offers 32 MB of onboard memory and a 16-bit TFT display capable of displaying up to 65,536 colours at a resolution of 176 x 220 pixels.

greenmozart
11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
I doubt that is correct. All the information we've heard from Samsung and Verizon (what little we've actually heard) confirms it runs 2002. Supposedly an upgrade to 2003 is in the early development stages at Samsung. But even if they complete it Verizon needs to make it available.