View Full Version : UH..UNLOCKED UNITS?

stephenlabuda
10-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Hello,

I am looking for some advice/info regarding unlocked phones. I have tmobile and verizon service and could use either one. I am curious if I can buy any unlocked phone on the market and use it with my tmobile account?

I do not really understand the unlocked phone/unlocked software thing..a brief description would be great.

S.

stephenlabuda
10-29-2003, 01:53 PM
well...a lot of people have looked at my previous post, but no one has posted a response. is everyone as confused about this as me? or just not a topic anyone wants to "discuss"

s.

Luzerman
10-29-2003, 05:50 PM
When using a GSM phone and people refer to an "unlocked" phone they mean a phone that is not locked to a specific carrier. An unlocked phone should work with any carrier whose SIM you place in the phone so to answer your question, yes, you can buy an unlocked phone or get a locked phone and unlock it for use on the T-Mobile network.

I'm still new at the MS Smartphone part so the following could be completely wrong. The locked software bit is different. Its my understanding that the intial MS Smartphone offerings in Europe were software locked so that you could not install any software you did not purchase from the phone carrier. After much outrage and complaining the carriers agreed to "decertify" the phones so that users could install their own software. Someone please correct me if I get the model numbers wrong, but if you get an SPV, SPV E100, and I think a couple other phone models you need to either make sure it is already decertified or that you can decertify it when you recieve it so that you can install the software you wish.

stephenlabuda
10-29-2003, 06:08 PM
so...i think i prefer the new orange phone over the i600 i have been waiting forever for and i should be able to buy one of those when it reaches the market and use it with Tmobile. Does anyone have any warnings about doing this?

Thanks for the help.

encece
10-30-2003, 03:24 AM
The Orange SPV and E100 work great in the US under Tmobile. I've used 2 SPVs and a Mitac for almost a year here with no problems. Unfortunately Tmobile's service is not great in my area and I had to switch to Verizon for the better reception. But they are taking forever to release the i600. It better be worth it. If I had the choice I'd prefer the upcoming E200 with BlueTooth and integrated camera....but I've gioven up on GSM in my area. The ATT Motorola MPx200 is really nice as well and can be unlocked to use on TMobile. I'd get that before the SPV or E100 unless you're not into flip phones. I'd even take the Mitac mio over an SPV as it has a faster processor and integrated camera.

But now I'm stuck with Verizon so I hope their Smartphone offerings start picking up.

Oh...and the above member was correct...almost.

It's true that SIM Unlocking phones allow you to use the phone on any GSM Carrier. They usually come locked to the carrier they are purchased from. For example The Motorola MPx200 is locked to ATT but you can get it unlocked thru a service at GSMPhoneSource.com for $20 that will let you use the phone on any GSM Carrier like TMobile, Cingular and ATT.

Application Locking or Application Certification allows only software AUTHORIZED by the network provider to be installed onto the phone. This saves them from the problems associated with rogue developers creating software that may mess up the phone. But you dont need to purchase the software thru the network....jusdt authorized by the netowrk.

I believe there is a fee required by developers to get their software authorized along with a Network evaluation Certifiction process....that's where they'll make a bit of money from software but comparitively speaking not much.

The down side of this certification requirement is that there is alot of software out there that is not certified that is well worth having on your phone...including little tweaks and homescreen skins developed and packaged by small developers that can't or won't pay the fees or go thru the process. Unlocking the phones lets you take advantage of all of this valuable software...many of them freeware.

But if the Network wanted to be picky...they could refuse to help you if and software causes a problem...and they could possibly void your warrenty.

But a hard reset will solve almost any unrecoverable problem that a poorly written software may cause...so don't fear. AppUnlock your phone and download away.

wardseward
11-03-2003, 05:14 PM
How much do the SIM cards cost when you take a phone to a provider and want it put on their network?

Also, has anyone had experience doing this with cingular? They are my current cell provider.

-Ward

aristoBrat
11-03-2003, 08:31 PM
How much do the SIM cards cost when you take a phone to a provider and want it put on their network?

Also, has anyone had experience doing this with cingular? They are my current cell provider.

-Ward
When I signed up for a SunCom account to try their GSM service on my MPx200, the SIM card was included in the cost of activation.

On the other hand, signs of life for the i600 are slowly appearing on VZW's website. The i600 accessories are listed there, so hopefully the launch will be soon!

Just sucks that the cheapest you can get it is $499 (and that's with a two year contract). :(

wardseward
11-04-2003, 05:51 PM
I called Cingular and asked about what i'd have to do to use a MPx200 on my current account. The activaction fee (which includes the SIM card) is only $18, but it looks like i'll have to upgrade my plan to a GSM plan. This might suck for me, because I've had my cingular plan for several years now and none of the current plans come close to the low cost i have now. I bet they would love to get me off this old cheap plan I'm not.

Oh well...guess I'll go to a cingular store this week and see what they have to say about the plans. I really don't plan on using the GPRS on the phone much if at all, so I might not have that much more expensive of a plan in the end.

=\\/\\/ard

encece
11-04-2003, 10:12 PM
You dont need to buy the GPRS Service. In fact, if you are going to use it as infrequently as you say, don't get it and then create a dial-up connection under settings. You'll only get 14000 baud or something like that....but that shouldnt be a problem for infrequent use.

wardseward
11-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Well it all doesn't matter anyway. I can't get the mpx200 right now. :(

I went and talk to a rep at cingular and was told that I would have to get a new GSM plan to use the mpx200, because my current plan is not GSM. Well my current plan is like 4 years old, way cheaper than any current plan, and has all kinds of free features that cingular now charges for (like SMS and email). Plus, I have a family plan and if I switch to the GSM plan I'd also have to buy a new phone for my wife, because her current phone would no longer work. Man...and I was so freak'n excited to go get a mpx200 this weekend. Ok... I'll stop venting now.

-\\/\\/ard

mar2k
11-26-2003, 04:35 PM
I see a few companies selling non-carrier branded MPx200 units (Tek N Toys comes to mind) but if the wireless carriers are responsible for updates, does this mean you have no hope of ever upgrading this phone?

I am not talking about an upgrade to WM 2003, I am talking about general bugfixes, maybe a new version of media player etc. I mean, if there is no carrier, who would provide the upgrades? Motorola? Tek N Toys?