View Full Version : Storage Memory vs. IPSM...?

smittyofdhs
10-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Ok, coming from a PPC background I'm totally confused with my new MPx200....

According to Resco Smart Toys I have:

Main Memory 17.8MB
Storage Memory 10.6MB

Storage Card 238.5MB
IPSM 10.0MB

I understand the storage card and the main memory, but what's the difference between storage memory and IPSM?

From what I already knew IPSM is where all your documents and files go, as well as program you install. So bascially that leaves storage memory, what is that used for and how can I access that memory?

timwells
10-28-2003, 10:12 PM
IPSM is a Flash file system (I believe it stands for Intel Persistent Storage Manager). Only IPSM storage persists, so IPSM typically holds program files, documents, your registry settings, etc. The "My Documents" folder is stored under the IPSM root. Storage can be used to hold temporary files, and other files that you don't want to persist. You can access the Storage space from the root of the MPx200s file system, for example, placing a file in \Temp places it in Storage.

smittyofdhs
10-28-2003, 10:23 PM
IPSM is a Flash file system (I believe it stands for Intel Persistent Storage Manager). Only IPSM storage persists, so IPSM typically holds program files, documents, your registry settings, etc. The "My Documents" folder is stored under the IPSM root. Storage can be used to hold temporary files, and other files that you don't want to persist. You can access the Storage space from the root of the MPx200s file system, for example, placing a file in \Temp places it in Storage.

So if I understand you correctly, I could place a file in IPSM and it would be retained after a reboot. But if I place the same file in, let's say, the windows directory (not the IPSM windows directory) then it would be lost on reboot?

If that's the case, then the "storage memory" is erased upon reboot and is totally useless except for temp files, correct?

timwells
10-28-2003, 10:51 PM
That's correct, anything stored under \IPSM is retained through a power cycle on the phone. Anything placed in storage is gone. Some of our programs do use storage as a temporary working area.