View Full Version : MPX200 for $199 at CompUSA, with goodies!

David McNamee
10-26-2003, 04:48 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://compusa.dailyshopper.com/index.aspx?pagename=circularlarge&pagenumber=12&circularid=2482&batchid=122550' target='_blank'>http://compusa.dailyshopper.com/index.aspx?pagename=circularlarge&pagenumber=12&circularid=2482&batchid=122550</a><br /><br /></div>CompUSA is offering the MPX200 for $199 after two $50 rebates, and comes with a free bluetooth headset, free 64MB SD card with music, free Word and Excel viewers, and free in-home setup of ActiveSync and e-mail on your phone.<br /><br /> :?: Bluetooth headset? This phone doesn't support Bluetooth. Anyone know if the headset includes an SD Bluetooth card?

ARW
10-26-2003, 05:15 PM
... :?: Bluetooth headset? This phone doesn't support Bluetooth. Anyone know if the headset includes an SD Bluetooth card?

It looks like they're throwing in a Jabra headset with adapter, which means the phone doesn't have to support bluetooth on it's own. The adapter just plugs in like any other wired headset and handles the wireless link to the headset.

brntcrsp
10-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Whoa! It's the same male model that MS used for their Windows Mobile 2003 WiFi ad campaign.

Robert Levy
10-26-2003, 05:45 PM
and free in-home setup of ActiveSync and e-mail on your phone.

That's an awesome deal and it's really exciting to see these devices being packaged so well. Of course, it's hard not to make fun of Microsoft for the fact that CompUSA feels the need to drive to every customer's house and get ActiveSync working for them. :roll: I sure hope CompUSA knows what they are getting themselves into with this...

Neil
10-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Whoa! It's the same male model that MS used for their Windows Mobile 2003 WiFi ad campaign.

Yeah, you'll be seeing him around :) We did a stock photo shoot with a bunch of models holding different devices. They're pretty cool. I bet if you poke around www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ you'll see him too.

entropy1980
10-26-2003, 07:59 PM
My question is will we see a BT SD card w/drivers for it? That's the only thing I am missing from mine right now....

brntcrsp
10-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Well, I walked into the Compusa and there is was. Still haven't picked it up yet, and I really hate the idea of having to buy it through CompUSA, finding it doesn't work well in the PDX metro area and beyond, and then pay the 15% restocking fee when I have to return it. I'm also unsure whether to take the dive now and buy a 2002 OS or just keep counting my pennies and wait for a 2003 device to land.

My own internal conflicts aside, I really liked the hardware. Very sleak, responsive, and chock full of vim and vigor.

brntcrsp
10-26-2003, 09:10 PM

Yeah, you'll be seeing him around :) We did a stock photo shoot with a bunch of models holding different devices. They're pretty cool. I bet if you poke around www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ you'll see him too.

So if you model for a Microsoft campaign do you get to keep a device as part of the payment? :wink:

Robert Levy
10-26-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm also unsure whether to take the dive now and buy a 2002 OS or just keep counting my pennies and wait for a 2003 device to land.

My own internal conflicts aside, I really liked the hardware. Very sleak, responsive, and chock full of vim and vigor.

Well we *just* had a 2002 device released here... that's how slow things go in the US. If you do decide to wait for a 2003 device, be sure to put those pennies in an interest bearing account because it's probably going to be a while :?

entropy1980
10-26-2003, 10:18 PM
yeah but isn't the MpX200 upgradeable....? So we could have an upgrade to WM2k3?

brntcrsp
10-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Well we *just* had a 2002 device released here... that's how slow things go in the US. If you do decide to wait for a 2003 device, be sure to put those pennies in an interest bearing account because it's probably going to be a while :?

Well, I'm not married to the idea of carrier supplied phones so when Orange launches their unlocked e200 or Arne gets his i-Mate Smartphone 2003 I'll be more than willing to swing for it. Once again there are trade-offs though with the newest SPV - pretty much the same hardware (camera and Bluetooth noted) and from my understanding it's not exactly the snappiest of phones.

nobody
10-27-2003, 12:33 AM
I certainly hope mpx200 is upgradeable to WM2003. Anyone has any idea?

David McNamee
10-27-2003, 05:02 AM
I certainly hope mpx200 is upgradeable to WM2003. Anyone has any idea?

Capable - yes. The final decision rests with Motorola and AT&T.

encece
10-27-2003, 06:04 AM

I said it before and I'll say it again....that guy scares me!

umcp
10-27-2003, 07:21 AM
does compUSA sell phones without activation?

David Conger
10-27-2003, 08:06 AM
Why does the CompUSA photo show the phone running Windows Mobile Smartphone 2003 (with the Windows Mobile notation) but ATT shows the phone with Smartphone 2002?

Graffiti
10-27-2003, 08:12 AM
:?: Bluetooth headset? This phone doesn't support Bluetooth. Anyone know if the headset includes an SD Bluetooth card?

Could this package come with the Jabra-type BT headset instead of what we thought - connection via a BT SD card?

David McNamee
10-27-2003, 08:56 AM
:?: Bluetooth headset? This phone doesn't support Bluetooth. Anyone know if the headset includes an SD Bluetooth card?

Could this package come with the Jabra-type BT headset instead of what we thought - connection via a BT SD card?

That seems to be the case.

Spongebob
10-27-2003, 03:29 PM
I agree, waiting for an unlocked model is the better choice indeed. It just so happens to be that I am waiting for the orange phone myself :wink:
dont buy if you think you are going to have trouble in your area or if you believe you will be unhappy with the service, that doesnt make sense.
probably better to wait until you are absolutaly sure of what you are buying and if what you are buying is for you and see if maybe for you it is too soon. waiting may be the better choice here since it is all new. let them work out the kinks :!:

dcharles
10-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know if this is with or without a new contract?

aristoBrat
10-27-2003, 03:36 PM
waiting may be the better choice here since it is all new.
MUCH easier said than done. ;) heh heh

I picked mine up from Amazon because I've had no problems returning stuff to them in the past (unlike CompUSA).

I'm also hoping that AT&T + Moto will eventually put out ROM updates like HP does with the iPAQ. It's a fairly simple process for a end-user to do that's pretty hard to screw up.

Neil
10-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know if this is with or without a new contract?

The ad says the price is with "required new in-store activation". Other fine print says the phone is an additional $125 if you get it without activation in the store, but I don't know if that means the phone is unlocked, or if they just sell you the phone without the SIM, but it's still locked. (I had that happen to me once when I got a new Nokia from Amazon).

shill79
10-27-2003, 05:16 PM
You will have to sign a contract to get the MPx200 for $299 - rebates at CompUSA... The phone will be locked to AT&T no matter how you buy it (with or without a contract)..

brntcrsp
10-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Do we know if the phone is application locked? Also how do you enable T9 on this phone?

jeffmckean
10-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Here's a couple of answers:

I've used the phone in the metro PDX area and have had excellent performance. I suppose it matters most what AT&T's GSM coverage is in the area but my impression was pretty good.

The phone is not application locked, so you can pretty much use any Smartphone app.

To enable T9 (and other input methods) press and hold the star key. For symbols, press and hold the pound key.

brntcrsp
10-27-2003, 07:22 PM
I really want to test this phone out because I happen to live in the black hole for GSM coverage in PDX metro. Both T-Mobile and ATT in my neighborhood are particularly poor performers and I want to find out if it's because of their phones or if it's the network.

umcp
10-28-2003, 12:46 AM
does anyone know ,if we buy this phone without activation, are we still going to get the free stuff? (earpiece, sd card, software)

thanx

rancyland
10-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately for those of us who are already AT&T subscribers, the deal requires a NEW in-store activation; at least that's what they told me when they wanted to charge me $429 without all the goodies!

So I got it about an hour ago :lol: thru AT&T for $249 sans goodies.
==
Randy

brian_r_baker
10-29-2003, 04:00 AM
does anyone know ,if we buy this phone without activation, are we still going to get the free stuff? (earpiece, sd card, software)

My local CompUSA (Indianapolis, IN) stated that they do not do in-store activation for AT&T. This was great for me since I wanted to use the phone with T-Mobile.

I bought the phone for $299.99 plus tax. I received the Jabra headset and the SD card for free at the store. The viewer software is obtained via mail-in rebate -- which only calls for a photocopy of the original receipt and not proof of activation.

I believe that I could have gotten the $50 trade-in rebate, but I did not have a phone with me that I wanted to trade in. This rebate form is only available when you buy the phone and not online. CompUSA keeps the trade-in phone so there's not a way to do it later.

So far I've been very pleased with using the phone. Note that I had to get it unlocked to use it with T-Mobile.

spg
10-29-2003, 07:21 PM
So far I've been very pleased with using the phone. Note that I had to get it unlocked to use it with T-Mobile.
How did you get it unlocked? Did you do it yourself, and if so what is the process?

wiblake
10-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Does the MPX 200 support Bluetooth? Can Bluetooth or WiFi adapters work in its SD Slot?
Thanks,
Wil Blake

Luzerman
10-29-2003, 08:26 PM
edit

brian_r_baker
10-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Does the MPX 200 support Bluetooth? Can Bluetooth or WiFi adapters work in its SD Slot?
The MPx200 does not have built-in bluetooth.

None of the documentation I have read indicates that the SD slot supports SDIO. I have seen one picture of the MPx200 with a camera stuck in the SD slot but that doesn't mean it's not a Photoshop job. ;)

IIRC, SmartPhone 2002 doesn't have native SDIO support, so there isn't a way that I know of to get an off-the-shelf SDIO device and test it out.

aristoBrat
10-30-2003, 12:42 AM
How did you get it unlocked? Did you do it yourself, and if so what is the process?
http://www.gsmphonesource.com/products/customer/home.php?cat=38

(Their website is somewhat slow today, for me anyways).

Oldbridge
10-30-2003, 03:55 AM
I might seem a total idiot. If a phone is unlocked and can then access various carriers, where does it get the phone number from, who assigns it. Can I just choose any of the carriers like Cingular, Verizon, TMobile and ask them for a plan etc.

aristoBrat
10-30-2003, 04:05 AM
I might seem a total idiot. If a phone is unlocked and can then access various carriers, where does it get the phone number from, who assigns it. Can I just choose any of the carriers like Cingular, Verizon, TMobile and ask them for a plan etc.
That sounds right.

You need to pick a carrier, sign up for a plan, and have them assign you a phone number. All of that will go onto a SIM that you'd drop into any GSM phone to "make it yours".

I'm new to the GSM stuff, but that's how it seems to work. I'm sure someone else will speak up if I boffed it. :)

brian_r_baker
10-30-2003, 05:26 AM
You would have to use a carrier that supports GSM. In the US that is AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile. Verizon and Sprint are not compatible with the MPx200 -- they use CDMA.

Oldbridge
10-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Hopefully the last of my questions. Let's say I sign up with Cingular GMS, get one of their free phones can I just take out the SIM from that phone and implant it into the Motorola or a the SIM's phone specific?

brian_r_baker
10-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Hopefully the last of my questions. Let's say I sign up with Cingular GMS, get one of their free phones can I just take out the SIM from that phone and implant it into the Motorola or a the SIM's phone specific?

Yes, once the MPx200 is unlocked, you can take a valid SIM from another phone and insert it into the MPx200. All the account info (and phone #) is tied to the SIM and can easily be transported to an unlocked phone. This is exactly what I did with my existing T-Mobile phone -- pulled the SIM out and popped it into my now-unlocked MPx200.

xxxfubar187xxx
10-30-2003, 08:04 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/office/default.mspx

What a great package deal. www.westtek.com has other great software for your phone and PDA too. Definitely worth picking up.

wiblake
10-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Will I need a special VPN client to access my corporate VPN?
Thanks,

brian_r_baker
10-31-2003, 03:42 PM
If you currently use the VPN technology that is built into the desktop version of Windows, you should be able to connect to the VPN using what is built-in to SmartPhone 2002.

roohsohail
09-20-2004, 01:36 AM

Yes, once the MPx200 is unlocked, you can take a valid SIM from another phone and insert it into the MPx200. All the account info (and phone #) is tied to the SIM and can easily be transported to an unlocked phone. This is exactly what I did with my existing T-Mobile phone -- pulled the SIM out and popped it into my now-unlocked MPx200.