View Full Version : Number portability question (US Market)

trachy
10-25-2003, 06:02 AM
Does anyone know if I can have my current number switched over to a different phone long after the new phone's contract has begun? I want to get an MPx200 now (and take advantage of Amazon's rebate), but the contract on my current phone doesn't run out until the middle of December. I'll go ahead and pick one up if I know I can have my current number switched over once the contract runs out. I'd rather give up a number I've had for a couple of months, than the one I've had for a couple of years.

If nobody here knows the answer I'll post it within the next couple of days. I expect I'll be talking to an AT&T rep before the weekend's over.

- Drew

trachy
10-25-2003, 04:58 PM
I talked to AT&T this morning, and the short answer is they don't know. The guy I spoke with said their still going through training when it comes to number portability, and they're still not up to speed on how it will work. At least he took my number and said he'd get back with me.

Spongebob
10-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Carriers are currently making agreements with one another, but how it will be done we dont know. For instance we dont know the process and we dont know how long it will take nor what will be invovled. That part is the mystery. Customers think it is an easy thing but it isnt, they only allow their minds to work with what is in front of them. I am certain there will be many kinks involved as there always is with technology :wink:

trachy
10-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I still haven't received a call back from AT&T - and I don't expect to at this point. I'm almost ready to scrap the idea, suck it up, and get a new number. Too bad my current number is on my business cards.

esc76
10-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Trachy,

My understanding is that sometime in November US service providers will be required by law to allow you to keep your number when changing carriers. I wish I could link you to a news story supporting this, but I have none. Again, this is what I have heard.

esc76
10-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Trachy,

Check out HailFire's post

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4273

He's got the info.

esc76
10-29-2003, 02:36 PM
...or she, sorry, I would have no idea.

trachy
10-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Trachy,

My understanding is that sometime in November US service providers will be required by law to allow you to keep your number when changing carriers. I wish I could link you to a news story supporting this, but I have none. Again, this is what I have heard.

Yes, you're right that they will be required to do so when "changing carriers." However, I'm wanting to know if I can port my number at any time - not just when I'm changing carriers. My dilemma is that I don't want to pay the fee to get out of my Alltel contract when it lasts for only a few more months. Instead, I'll just get a new phone with AT&T, have two contracts concurrently, and then once my Alltel contract runs out, port that number over to my AT&T phone.

I know it sounds silly, but Alltel charges $200 for early termination and through today you can get an MPx200 for $150 (Amazon rebate). Run the numbers and you see that it's cheaper for me to pick up a phone now and at least have it to play with until my Alltel contract runs out.

trachy
10-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Check out HailFire's post

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4273

He's got the info.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question. In fact, the documents that Yahoo links to on the FCC site only answer questions about Local Number Portability in relation to POTS. They don't appear to have been updated to discuss wireless portability issues. I'm going to have to root around the FCC site on my own, though I doubt it'll do much good.

Luzerman
10-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know if I can have my current number switched over to a different phone long after the new phone's contract has begun? I want to get an MPx200 now (and take advantage of Amazon's rebate), but the contract on my current phone doesn't run out until the middle of December. I'll go ahead and pick one up if I know I can have my current number switched over once the contract runs out. I'd rather give up a number I've had for a couple of months, than the one I've had for a couple of years.

If nobody here knows the answer I'll post it within the next couple of days. I expect I'll be talking to an AT&T rep before the weekend's over.

I just got off the phone with T-mobile because I had the same question. According to the prepared question sheet she had for answering Number Portability questions you can, at least with T-Mobile, move a phone number to an existing account. She did say there were some "protected" numbers that some wireless carriers would not allow to move but had no specific information on that. Its the first I've heard on numbers being excluded from the deal.

encece
10-30-2003, 03:26 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Network Providers will strongly enforce cancellation fees. I wouldn't even be surprised if they raise them.