View Full Version : WTB: motorola mpx200

JordanMills
10-22-2003, 12:28 AM
Willing to consider selling my soul.

encece
10-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Did you consider going to the ATT store or Amazon and buying one?

JordanMills
10-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Well I can NOW. I couldn't then. The problem is I am on Nextel right now. I figured they'd be one of the first out with it, since they're married to Motorola, but they're giving me the runaround when I try to ask for info on it. Good chance I'll switch because of this when I can port my number (the "this" being their general garbage phones that have tech lag time that can be measured in years).

Luzerman
10-28-2003, 06:21 AM
I don't know if you care but with AT&T's rather generous cancelation policy it is not hard to get one of these phones for between $250-$300 and then cancel the AT&T service. There are several websites out there that will unlock the phones--including one that does it over the web or via an e-mail. I didn't pay much attention to the thread at the time I read it.

aristoBrat
10-28-2003, 04:21 PM
I don't know if you care but with AT&T's rather generous cancelation policy it is not hard to get one of these phones for between $250-$300 and then cancel the AT&T service. There are several websites out there that will unlock the phones--including one that does it over the web or via an e-mail. I didn't pay much attention to the thread at the time I read it.
Amazon sells the phone without a plan for $399, which should be cheaper than getting the phone for $299 and paying the cancellation fee.

Luzerman
10-29-2003, 12:19 AM
If you cancel in the first 30 days of service there is no cancelation fee. To add to that if you originally sign up for a 2 year agreement there is no activation fee. That way you can get the phone for a month and see if it works to your liking then cancel and take it to the provider of your choice if it ends up being someone other then AT&T.

JordanMills
10-29-2003, 06:37 PM
They won't work for Nextel though.

brian_r_baker
10-29-2003, 07:37 PM
This phone won't work on the Nextel network. Nextel uses a technology called iDen (I think that's right), while the MPx200 uses GSM. GSM providers in the US include AT&T, Cingular, and T-Mobile. So, if you really want the MPx200 you will have to switch carriers. If you don't want to go with AT&T you can get the phone unlocked and use it with one of the others.

If you want to stay with Nextel, I've heard rumors that Motorola is planning a Nextel SmartPhone for the end of 2004.

Luzerman
10-29-2003, 08:11 PM
I was responding to a poster's desire to switch to another carrier because of Nextel's not offering this phone. If they're willing to switch from Nextel there are numerous options with the AT&T subsidized priced phone other then just AT&T.

encece
10-30-2003, 03:30 AM
By the way...the unlocking site for the MPx200 is:
http://www.gsmphonesource.com

hardtorn
12-01-2003, 11:16 PM
I;m not really sure that cam work.
I know that the (i930 motorola) is much the same (or should be)
as the MPX200. However AT&T has no PTT (radio like you have with Nextel.
Also You have the iden system which is different.
Even If you can unlock a MPX200, I don't think you can just place
a Nextel SIM in the smart phone and POW! Have it work...
I would love for someone to try it....
If I could be done... there would be info about it in the MODs section of
one of the many (iden) sites.
If you look into some of them... there is a lot of info about
idens tech. Its really a very fancy 2way radio system.

Please post if you have more thoughts... this willbe fun to figure out.
8)