View Full Version : MPx200 Now Officially Launched United States by AT&T Wireless

Robert Levy
10-21-2003, 05:34 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone' target='_blank'>http://www.attwireless.com/smartphone</a><br /><br /></div>AT&T now has a big portion of their website dedicated to the MPx200 Smartphone. Here's a snippet:<br /><br />"Announcing the new Motorola MPx200 with Windows Mobile™ software. An integrated mobile phone that offers email, the Personal Information Management functions of a PDA, text messaging, instant messaging, Internet and enhanced voice capabilities. <br /><br />Change the way you communicate with the new Motorola MPx200, with Microsoft Windows Mobile software <br /><br />It's finally here: the first Windows Mobile Smartphone in North America - only from AT&T Wireless. The Motorola MPx200, is an all-in-one mobile phone that lets you stay connected and in touch with the people and information you need most to succeed. It's an essential business companion that allows you to access your email, contacts, calendar, send text messages, instant message your colleagues, connect to the Internet and use advanced calling features-when you're on the go. <br /><br />The Motorola MPx200 with Windows Mobile software provides pocket versions of familiar Windows applications, so you'll be productive right away. A device packed with this many essential features at your fingertips means you can stay connected, organized and in control while maximizing time and productivity. "<br /><br />Check out the website for more details, information on how to order the device straight from AT&T Wireless, and even a tool for customers to use to configure their devices over the internet instead of pecking away on the phone's keypad.

spg
10-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Ok, now the moment of choice. Do you order it direct from AT&T and get 100 extra minutes a month, but pay 150 more for the phone... Or do you go with Amazon and save 150 on the phone, but get 100 fewer minutes per month?

Robert Levy
10-21-2003, 06:36 PM
I would guess that if you ordered from Amazon and then called AT&T Wireless, they will let you switch plans.

spg
10-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Hmm... hadn't thought of that. The 100 extra minutes are a web special though... so it really isn't switching plans, it is just extra minutes added to the plan.

Sean Murphy
10-21-2003, 06:46 PM
So here is my question… Here I sit with my Siemens SX56 PocketPC / GSM phone all in one device. What I want to know is this; can a Smart Phone replace a PocketPC? My feeling is not. There is so much functionality in a pocket pc but what is your opinion. I am enjoying the single device concept but can a Smart Phone be the single device? Opinions…

spg
10-21-2003, 06:54 PM
I know the Smartphone will replace my PDA. Obviously there are still things you can do with a Pocket PC that you can't do with a Smartphone, but I think I can do without those for the most part. I think it is really going to be different for different people, it all depends on how much you want to be able to do with your PDA/Smartphone.

Wuss912
10-21-2003, 07:09 PM
so now i am just stuck waiting for sprint

Robert Levy
10-21-2003, 07:36 PM
So here is my question… Here I sit with my Siemens SX56 PocketPC / GSM phone all in one device. What I want to know is this; can a Smart Phone replace a PocketPC? My feeling is not. There is so much functionality in a pocket pc but what is your opinion. I am enjoying the single device concept but can a Smart Phone be the single device? Opinions…

It really depends on how you use your Pocket PC. For me, the Smartphone replaced my Pocket PC with the exception of when I go on airplanes - they'll let you play music/games on a PDA but not a phone.

In general my thought is that unless you use your Pocket PC for a lot of data entry or document editing, a Smartphone could very easily replace your Pocket PC or Palm. Since I never really took advantage of Word or Excel on my Pocket PC, the switch to Smartphone has been great.

Foo Fighter
10-21-2003, 07:38 PM
No word on Verizon, eh? :(

Robert Levy
10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
No word on Verizon, eh? :(

As always... just around the corner :wink:

Foo Fighter
10-21-2003, 07:51 PM
As always... just around the corner :wink:

Heh, sure it is. Suuuuuuuuure it is. :silly:

ShivShanks
10-21-2003, 08:23 PM

Yeah that would be cool since only Sprint gives you unlimited data plan for $10 a month (Well now $15 a month I think). And that too at 144kbps peak. I stopped waiting for MS Smartphones and bought a Samsung i500 instead and I can tell you unlimited data is bliss :) And their data service is really good. I get pretty decent speeds. Its like a nice dialup browsing speed equivalent. Its nice that the MS Smartphones are finally, really, truly, (pinch me I can't belive it) *launching* :D
Anyway I'm very happy with my i500 for now (what with a real touchscreen and stylus) and I'll wait for the 2nd generation MS Smartphones.

Wuss912
10-21-2003, 08:29 PM

Yeah that would be cool since only Sprint gives you unlimited data plan for $10 a month (Well now $15 a month I think). And that too at 144kbps peak. I stopped waiting for MS Smartphones and bought a Samsung i500 instead and I can tell you unlimited data is bliss :) And their data service is really good. I get pretty decent speeds. Its like a nice dialup browsing speed equivalent. Its nice that the MS Smartphones are finally, really, truly, (pinch me I can't belive it) *launching* :D
Anyway I'm very happy with my i500 for now (what with a real touchscreen and stylus) and I'll wait for the 2nd generation MS Smartphones.

but it's palm os :roll:
i'll wait for the ms smartphones myself
as far as touch screens go they are nice for pdas but not so great for
phones

ShivShanks
10-21-2003, 09:40 PM

but it's palm os :roll:
i'll wait for the ms smartphones myself
as far as touch screens go they are nice for pdas but not so great for
phones

Yeah sure its a Palm OS device but its actually very nice. You'd be surprised how useful a touch screen can be. For example when you are browsing on a page with many links you can quickly tap on the link you are interested in instead of pressing keys repeatedly to reach the link you want. This is especially true when browsing normal sites not optimised for small screens. Plus you can grab hold of the scroll bar and very quickly move up and down a page unlike mutliple key presses. Also a touch screen is very nice for a number of PDA like apps that you can have on the phone. And yes you can always use the keys if you want. Certainly doesn't take away anything. You have more functionality available if any. Another nice thing with the Palm OS based phones is that you can use almost any of the existing Palm apps and not only the Service Provider sanctioned signed apps. The i500 is pretty nice and you start appreciating a whole lot only after using it for a while. The only drawbacks are that it lacks an SD slot and mediaplayer but those are things I do not care about in my phone so I'm happy. Naturally YMMV.

technobiker
10-21-2003, 10:31 PM
I'm replacing my Siemens sx56. I already travel with a Motion Tablet so this device makes more sense than the Siemens. Mine will arrive tomorrow, I'm psyched!

Kris Kumar
10-22-2003, 04:27 AM
Was amazed to see a Full page Advt in WSJ today..talks about all the cool features of the phone...this is the kind of publicity that is needed..

(Now if only GSM coverage improved in US.)

Kris

mar2k
10-22-2003, 05:05 AM
(Now if only GSM coverage improved in US.)

Kris

..or they just included GSM 850 as well as 1900, is that too much to ask?? :cry:

Sean Murphy
10-22-2003, 01:01 PM
So how are you people getting them? I want to upgrade my phone to this one and I have called AT&T and they say they are not available. I called my local store and they say they don’t have them either. My only shot is the website that won’t let you order a phone without ordering new service (talk about poor customer service). I just want the phone and I don’t want to pay $100 more ordering it from Amazon.

technobiker
10-22-2003, 07:59 PM
I ordered mine directly through AT&T over the phone.

Sean Murphy
10-22-2003, 09:13 PM
I called AT&T and they told me 2 weeks. I just love them.

David McNamee
10-22-2003, 10:57 PM
So how are you people getting them?
As of yesterday, they weren’t listed on their main order entry screens. If you get hold of a sales rep who is willing to dig a little, then they’ll find it somewhere in the system. I got some terrific help last night from a phone salesperson named Jennifer. It took her about twenty minutes of fighting with the computer, but we were able to get the order placed. The phone arrived around lunchtime today. I’ll have photos and a review posted a little bit later :D

dcharles
10-23-2003, 12:06 AM
I called my ATT rep yesterday, she hand delivered one to me today. :D I don't know that I will be keeping it, my area is mostly 850, but I'm going to give it a shot. The manual says to charge it for 24 hours before use, this is going to kill me.

Chafic
10-23-2003, 04:27 PM
I saw the phone at CompUSA yesterday. It was very nice, however, you cannot run the apps unless you have the SIMM card installed it seems, so I could not really play with it. Another issue is that it only works on 1800 and 1900 frequencies.

iJITSU
10-24-2003, 12:26 AM
I got one today. Here are pics.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11608