View Full Version : [SmartPhone, T-Mobile, Hampton Roads, VA] Advice Needed Please!

aristoBrat
10-20-2003, 07:24 PM
I'm dying to get either the Moto MPx200 or the SPV E200 SmartPhone.

From what I've seen, the only GSM/GPRS network in the Hampton Roads, VA area (Va Beach specifically) is T-Mobile, which I'm kinda glad about because their data plan prices seem very good. :D

My guess is that T-Mo won't be offering a branded MPx200 or SPV E200 anytime soon, so I'm thinking about ordering a free (after Amazon rebate) T-Mo Nokia 3650 and activating/using it for a few weeks until I could get a MPx200 or SPV E200. Then I'd just pop my SIM in there and be good to go.

I guess my question is -- would there be any reason to want to wait before opening a T-Mo account?

Thanks! :)

encece
10-21-2003, 04:12 PM
I would wait to see if the Motorola is SIM Unlocked. It may just be locked to ATT in which case only an ATT SIM will work in it until someone figures out a way to unlock it.

Same with the E200 series.

My advice is wait for confirmation that they are SIM Unlockable.

brian_r_baker
10-30-2003, 01:50 AM
aristoBrat:

In case you hadn't read in some of the other threads; it is possible to unlock the MPx200 for use with T-Mobile. I would suggest that you sign up for a plan and get a free basic phone with T-Mobile so that you can test their coverage / customer support, etc before shelling out the $$ for the MPx200.

aristoBrat
10-30-2003, 01:52 AM
aristoBrat:

In case you hadn't read in some of the other threads; it is possible to unlock the MPx200 for use with T-Mobile. I would suggest that you sign up for a plan and get a free basic phone with T-Mobile so that you can test their coverage / customer support, etc before shelling out the $$ for the MPx200.
Thanks -- that's exactly what I did! :D

Been getting great T-Mo coverage with my Nokia 3650, so I ordered the MPx200 from Amazon. Just waiting for the unlock code...

Thanks for all of the help!

encece
10-30-2003, 01:54 AM
Oh yeah.....forgot to mention that here. That news was soon after this thread got started.

Unlocking the phone costs $20 thru GSMPhoneSource.com

You should be able to use it on ANY GSM Service....not Just T-Mobile. I believe Cingular would be covered as well.

possmann
11-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Brad: l too am a t-mobile customer and was thinking about following your foot steps -please let me know how it worked out for you and please include costs
thanx

aristoBrat
11-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Brad: l too am a t-mobile customer and was thinking about following your foot steps -please let me know how it worked out for you and please include costs
thanx
Well, it didn't work out for me because T-Mo's signal in my area is only "good", which means it's not guaranteed to work indoors -- which it didn't. So, ... I shipped my MPx200 back to Amazon today.

HOWEVER, if you're in an area with an OK signal, the MPx200 (from Amazon, with no contract) is ~$418 shipped. Add another $20 to have the phone unlocked and you're set. :)

For everyone thinking that $438 for a Smartphone is crazy, ... my only choice now is the i600 from Verizon, which they are going to sell starting at $499 (!!!) with a TWO YEAR contract. :: ugh ::

possmann
11-06-2003, 10:03 PM
$418 is great! Including the extra 20 Sucks that means it is Still less than anywhere Else i have see it!
I've been a t-mobile customer for 2 years now and the quality keeps getting better. l think I'm going to go for it IF the phone supports upgrading the OS to 2003 -I'll keep you updated!