View Full Version : Back from Mobius

Jason Dunn
10-11-2003, 05:25 PM
I returned from the Mobius event in Seattle late last night, and over the next few days I'll be preparing new posts and photos about what I saw and did there. I'll say this much: I'm very excited about the momentum I saw building with the Smartphone, specifically around the hardware. The Motorola phone is killer - absolutely killer. You can't grasp how small it really is until you hold it, and the performance is very snappy. More on that later. I also have some pictures and information about the new SPV E200 (which you can pre-order today (http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=162&inv_id=31010100550749&modid=30214092059015&aid=5)) - it looks like an exciting device. And the Voq could be a real winner as well - the QWERTY keyboard alters the way you use the device, making it a very powerful messaging device.

It's good to be home! :D

TopDog
10-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Did you find out if there will be more support for international languages? Microsoft SmartPhone will not be a success before you have T9 for all languages like Nokia/SE/Siemens/etc. have had for several years.

People don't care that the OS is in English, but not having native T9 makes these phone's a big NO-NO for most people in non-english countries.

ShivShanks
10-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Any news about what Samsung is upto with the SmartPhone? Where the heck is the i600? Is Samsung still committed to Windows Mobile SmartPhone? Anyone else bringing out a flip Smartphone? Basically I am a flip phone person and I don't really care about all these candy bar phones that have come so far. There is something very comforting about folding a phone to keep the screen and keys protected. I for one wouldn't normally buy a non flip phone. And that seems to be the majority view in the CDMA world also. So where are the CDMA and flip Smartphones? After all CDMA is still king in the US. Why is Microsoft neglecting this segment in its home country and why are the likes of Verizon dragging their @sses till now about it?
Now I realise you may not know the answers to all that but anything that you may have heard about any of these at the event helps :)

freitasm
10-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Interesting. The shop is based in Canada (the new Affiliate Jason talked about), and is offering the SPV. Will it be SIM unlocked? Will it be delivered without SIM or a contract is required?

The text doesn't say anything like this.

Foo Fighter
10-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Can't wait to read about your experiences! 8)

brntcrsp
10-12-2003, 12:08 AM
I'm all atwitter to hear the news.

Jason Dunn
10-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Interesting. The shop is based in Canada (the new Affiliate Jason talked about), and is offering the SPV. Will it be SIM unlocked? Will it be delivered without SIM or a contract is required?

All of the Smartphones that Tek 'N Toys sells are non-SIM locked. :D I may have a coupon to save you 5% too...I'll know by Monday.

mar2k
10-13-2003, 02:59 AM
I'm almost disappointed that you say the Motorola phone is "killer" if for no other reason that the fact that it is useless in GSM 850 areas since it is only a GSM 1800/1900 band phone. Whoever made this decision should be shot. GSM coverage in the US is already spotty, but this just takes it down another notch without the ability to access GSM 850 networks. Guess many of us will be waiting for MPx300. I keep bringing this up but the inability to access the GSM 850 band really cuts the usefulness of this phone off at the knees. Many of the existing TDMA networks are being overlaid with GSM 850, not 1900. Very irritating!!! :evil:

trachy
10-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Short of calling AT&T, does anyone know of a way I can find out what bands are available in what areas? Their site doesn't seem to provide that info.

Jason Dunn
10-13-2003, 06:10 PM
I'm almost disappointed that you say the Motorola phone is "killer" if for no other reason that the fact that it is useless in GSM 850 areas since it is only a GSM 1800/1900 band phone.

I should have qualified my statement - killer from a hardware point of view. Until I actually get one and try it out on my GSM network here (Fido/Microcell), I won't be able to report on the phone as a whole.

Neil
10-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Did you find out if there will be more support for international languages?

Windows Mobile 2003 supports a whole bunch more languages, and we keep adding as mobile operators move into new markets. Smartphone 2002 originally shipped in 6 languages, if I recall correctly, and now we're up to around 20, with more on the way.