View Full Version : Even More Speculation On 8 October - Is It Sierra Wireless?

David McNamee
10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://217.160.215.102/index.php?itemid=1549' target='_blank'>http://217.160.215.102/index.php?itemid=1549</a><br /><br /></div>Sources have informed Arne Hess that our Mystery Partner is Canada's own Sierra Wireless! Their AirCard products are well known to road warriors who connect to AT&T or Sprint networks with their laptops or iPaqs. They also have components used in Audiovox's Thera.<br /><br />Let's see.... they've got lots of experience with wireless data; their products do CDMA and GSM; they have a global presence. I'd say they're a pretty strong candidate. We'll find out tomorrow just how good Arne's sources are. Personally, I wouldn't bet against him!<br /><br /><b>Update</b>: CoolSmartphone is now confirming that they have also received reliable information stating that Sierra Wireless is indeed the mystery partner. More info <a href="http://www.coolsmartphone.com/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=348">here</a>.

mar2k
10-07-2003, 07:21 PM
I'm all for more companies making Smartphones, but this is about as much of a letdown as it gets. From the mere possibility of someone like Sony Ericsson to Sierra Wireless.....no offense to them but...?&lt;cricket_sounds> Wish them luck.......

Keyboard sounds cool though but not if we are talking at the expense of bulk, might was well carry PPCPE if that is the case. Hope its small.......

brntcrsp
10-07-2003, 08:57 PM
While I welcome the news of new manufacturers, unless it's a Windows Mobile 2003 device I couldn't care less. Every carrier that mentioned they are going to carry a MS Smartphone looks as though they will only be releasing devices with 2002, which I can do without. Here's hoping this is a step forward and not back.

ShivShanks
10-07-2003, 09:46 PM
What a bl00dy damp squib. Sierra Wireless?! Who cares? And just what is so special about them for the US and the world if they are a Canada based operator? And what was all the nonsense about it being a world wide launch/availability? And one of the largest cell phone makers? I want to kill all those folks who spewed out useless hype if it is indeed Sierra Wireless. I'm getting more and more disappointed with MS Smartphone if this is all they can manage and not even get a decent US launch with enough vareity of devices and carriers. Honestly should Smartphonethoughts have hyped things this much and now it turns out to be so anti-climaxical?

Mike Temporale
10-07-2003, 10:56 PM
What a bl00dy damp squib. Sierra Wireless?! Who cares? And just what is so special about them for the US and the world if they are a Canada based operator?

HELLO? Just because the company is from Canada they can't compete on the world wide market? What about RIM? or Thoughts Media (The guys that bring this fine site, and others, to you)??

Sierra Wireless products are found in the Audiovox PPCPE, and in many wireless GSM PC Cards.

Maybe you are confusing the handset maker with the the carrier. I sure hope so, otherwise you're comments are just plain ignorant.

David McNamee
10-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Sierra Wireless?! Who cares?
Well, me if it turns out that they really are launching a Smartphone.

And just what is so special about them for the US and the world if they are a Canada based operator?
They're not an operator. They are a wireless data product OEM. Their products are sold globally. They've been working with a lot of carriers for a long time. If they launch a product, it's a good bet that carriers will support it in short order.

And what was all the nonsense about it being a world wide launch/availability?
That's what IDG has reported. We'll find out tomorrow if that was a reasonable characterization.

Honestly should Smartphonethoughts have hyped things this much and now it turns out to be so anti-climaxical?
I don't know if hype is the best word, but we certainly fanned the flames a little. Why not? A new Smartphone is launching! To me, that's exciting. :D

Ramin
10-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Sierra Wireless Signs Joint Development Agreement with Microsoft

Enables the Pocket PC Platform for CDMA Wide Area Wireless Connectivity

LAS VEGAS--Jan. 8, 2001 [sic]--Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSE: SW.) announced today that it has signed a Joint Development Agreement with Microsoft Corp. to develop tighter integration between Sierra Wireless' Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) products and the Pocket PC software platform.

Under terms of the agreement, the parties have agreed to share resources and to develop highly integrated versions of Microsoft's popular Pocket PC and upcoming Smartphone 2002 software platforms.

UPDATE: Please note that the article (above) which was quoted verbatim et literatim from Wireless Developer Network - Daily News (http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/news/2002/8/news3.html), was incorrectly dated "Jan. 8, 2001" - when, in fact it the date should have been "Jan. 8, 2002".

brntcrsp
10-08-2003, 04:33 AM
... upcoming Smartphone 2002 software platforms.

BWAHAHAHA! :lol: That's rich! Well, time to pull a Rip Van Winkle and sleep till someone release a 2003 device. Night all.

Edit - wait, that release is from January 2002, maybe it's not as bleak as I fear.

I'll be back at midnight and then it's Lucy, you have some splainin' to do.

ShivShanks
10-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Maybe you are confusing the handset maker with the the carrier.

Yes thats what I thought about it since I was so turned off I didn't bother to investigate what was so special. After all the hype that was flying around about it being some top tier cell phone manufacturer pardon me if I was less than enthused about the news. Nothing against Sierra Wireless and certainly nothing against Canada (after all I buy only ATI video cards) but Sierra Wireless isn't exactly a well known brand. And considering all the hype blowing around I think I am very well entitled to some disappointment. More than that I'm disappointed the way the whole Smartphone launch has been managed with it being oft delayed till now. Were it not for the Motorola thing they managed you'd think the Smartphone was pretty much a no show in the US.

albsilva
10-08-2003, 09:51 AM
As european I surely hoped that it would be a known global manufacturer, and in my particular case, I would love that it would be Siemens.

If it is in fact Sierra Wireless, for us at Portugal it won't mean nothing, and Microsoft will not 'earn' anything with it...

Alberto Silva

Mike Temporale
10-08-2003, 11:01 AM
(after all I buy only ATI video cards)
The do make a pretty good video card, eh? My first video card purchase was a ATI Mach16. :lol: That was a great card. However, I have to admit, I haven't purchased ATI in a long time. My desktop is running nVidia. Well, my Laptop does have a ATI card, but it's not by choice, you get what they give you when it comes to laptops...

... but Sierra Wireless isn't exactly a well known brand. And considering all the hype blowing around I think I am very well entitled to some disappointment. More than that I'm disappointed the way the whole Smartphone launch has been managed with it being oft delayed till now. Were it not for the Motorola thing they managed you'd think the Smartphone was pretty much a no show in the US.

Fair enough. I guess I'm a little more familiar with Seirra, since a local carrier (http://www.fido.ca) has carried their wireless PC Cards for years now. So I see their name all the time.

On Sierra's Website (http://www.sierrawireless.com) they indicate that the audiovox Thera (sp?) is powered by their wireless technology. So they do have some past exposure to the PPC/Microsoft world.

aussie
10-08-2003, 01:19 PM
The phone has been released

http://www.voq.com/site/default.voq

It looks pretty cool as well.

Mike Temporale
10-08-2003, 02:07 PM
It looks pretty cool as well.

That DOES look cool. 8O Love the fold out thumbboard! 8)

Dinesh_H
10-08-2003, 04:30 PM
http://www.voq.com/site/default.voq