View Full Version : WESTTEK Brings Office To Your Smartphone

David McNamee
10-03-2003, 04:17 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://westtek.com/smartphone.htm' target='_blank'>http://westtek.com/smartphone.htm</a><br /><br /></div>A common complaint among Smartphone users is the lack of support for viewing documents made with Microsoft Office. That gap in functionality is now closed. The fine folks over at WESTTEK have ported their suite of ClearVue document viewers to the Smartphone! The suite includes viewers for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Also included are viewers for PDF files and images. <br /> <br />They will also soon be releasing a Smartphone version of their classic JETCET Print utility. With JETCET Print, you'll be able to print MS Office attachments, contacts, calendar entries, and images straight from your Smartphone.<br /><br />I feel a product review coming on... :)

Kris Kumar
10-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Downloaded the Trial version...and love it :rock on dude!:

Will be buying it...just wanted to find out if they have bundle of Pkt PC and Smartphone Suite...for a discounted price :-) Also wanted to learn about the update policy...when the version is revved...will I get free upgrade or at less cost? Anyway once I get that answered...its time to pay up.

I wish it had was the ability to zoom into the powerpoint slides when in the slideshow mode (or maybe I dont know how to use the app).

PDF viewing works for great for regular PDF documents...but i have an HP ScanJet, that can scan documents and generates a PDF with raster image. It couldnt display the PDF doc when it was composed of a raster image. But I have known this to be a problem with viewers in general :-(

But regular PDF docs (ones generated from Word Doc etc) works fine (did notice some problems in complex docs..but still viewable/useful).

Also no way to quickly jump pages in DOC/PDF viewer.

Cool Image viewer, like the fact that u can rotate the images. The zoom of images didnt work out for me beyond 25%, gave me error saying that there was not enough memory :-( But the Fit to screen works great. Much better than viewing JPGs in pIE.

But definitely the Killer App I had been waiting for..now I can view my e-mail attachments...ooh the power I have the palm of my hands :-)

Kris

timwells
10-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Hi Kris -

To date Westtek has never charged for an upgrade, the only exception to that might be if we added significant functionality to the product and then there would be some form of deep discount on the upgraded version.

We don't have a combined PPC and SP Suite, but send me a private email ([email protected]) and I'll work you a deal. :lol:

On the PPT zoom, if you hit the "Action" button in thumbnail mode, the highlighted slide is displayed full screen. The # key will bring up a context menu that allows a zoom.

And finally, on your image file that wouldn't zoom...if its not confidential please send it to us ([email protected]) so that we can take a look (would have to be pretty big to run out of memory).

Tim Wells
Westtek