View Full Version : Mystery Phone To Be Revealed 8 October!

David McNamee
10-02-2003, 05:41 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/02/HNmssmartphone_1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/02/HNmssmartphone_1.html</a><br /><br /></div>InfoWorld is reporting that a new Windows Mobile Smartphone will be given a "worldwide launch" next Wednesday, 8 October. Apparently, this will include the announcement of a new partner to the Smartphone family. From the article:<br /><br />"The Smartphone, which is being produced by 'a company with considerable experience of the wireless space,' will offer 'some radical innovations,' according to an e-mail invitation sent by a public relations company for the unnamed mobile handset manufacturer. "<br /><br />So who could this mysterious partner be? What will be so radically innovative about this phone? We've got a week to speculate - let the games begin! :D

JonnoB
10-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Nokia?
Sony/E?
Other?

encece
10-02-2003, 07:32 PM
I don't know who the manufacturer is going to be....but the carrier's name better start with a "V" and end with an "ERIZON"!!!

ShivShanks
10-02-2003, 07:34 PM
"The Smartphone, which is being produced by 'a company with considerable experience of the wireless space,' will offer 'some radical innovations,'

Well first of all note that it says "considerable". That doesn't necessarily mean that its one of the top 4 mfrs of cell phones. It could be some of the lesser ranked but nonetheless good quality mfrs. It could be Sanyo, Sharp or Panasonic for example. OTOH it could also be Sony Ericsson. It certainly cannot be Nokia, and Motorola has already signed on. Samsung has been a player since long, if somewhat vacillating at times. My feeling is that the innovation could be video recording of some sort using Windows Media. Already MS Smartphones are some of the best phones for video playback with optimised Windows Media 9 Player in the Windows Mobile 2003 product. My speculation is that it could be Sony Ericsson doing something like this what with Sony being so strong in video camcorders. It could also be one of the Japanese mfrs I mentioned above since they are also active in this field. And lastly it could also be a damp squib and just be Samsung reaffirming itself to platform with new vigor. Although Samsung also is quite capable of doing a video phone.

Other wild possibilities that come to my mind are: a real GPS navigation enabled phone that allows you to see where you are etc; or a phone with a built in TV tuner. Yeah I know that last one is a bit wild but remember Samsung has a PPC PDA in Korea that has a TV tuner built in!

Now lets see who can top my speculations :) :D

Kris Kumar
10-02-2003, 07:48 PM
I would put my money on SE...

They have the most innovative designs/ideas...

And it maybe a 3G phone...SE has already licensed the 3G tech to HTC for Smartphones...maybe there is some exchange going on...

Kris

mjhamson
10-02-2003, 07:48 PM
I agree with Shiv.
Sony Ericsson seems to be the most likely when I think about the positioning that seems to be going on at this time.

Panasonic also seems like a good possibility.

btw: Isnt the promo/marketing company Europe based? that would give additional credence to it be Sony Ericsson.

David McNamee
10-02-2003, 07:52 PM
I don't know who the manufacturer is going to be....but the carrier's name better start with a "V" and end with an "ERIZON"!!!

I don't know about that. The PR firm handing this is in the UK. Might not mean anything, but who knows? Plus, I can't imagine anything but a GSM-capable phone being part of a "worldwide launch." That would exclude Verizon's network unless it was a GSM + CDMA device. That would be radical! 8O

HailFire
10-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Anyone with a PocketPC will probably understand my hopes that the mysterious manufacturer is Sony/Ericsson. Sony makes the best, most innovative handhelds in the world, but they have IMHO chosen the wrong platform, mostly for political reasons. If they decided to sign on with Microsoft to make a Smartphone device I'd buy one in a second.

Unfortunately, for similar reasons, I doubt Nokia is the mystery manufacturer. I'm guessing it's a second-rate company but the amazing new feature will be true worldwide GSM+CDMA coverage.

Of course, the new feature could also be a streaming media service which would be more than possible with Media Player 9.

ScottC
10-02-2003, 08:03 PM
I honestly don't think it will be SE, they have too much money in Symbian PLUS 2 upcoming Symbian phones (The P810/900 and their Z1010). My money is on an Asian firm...

Arne Hess
10-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Siemens!?

ScottC
10-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Siemens!?

Would they have the resources to develop one? Considering they used the HTC reference for their PocketPC phone edition you'd expect them to just use a Tanger and stick their name on it...

Nothing on FCC's EAS website about it, but that doesn't mean anything of course...

freitasm
10-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Either Siemes or Sony Ericsson. My vote is for Sony Ericsson.

Have a look on this Geekzone article: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=908 from May 2003.

ARW
10-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Maybe Sendo is going to give it another try. :lol:

David McNamee
10-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Either Siemes or Sony Ericsson. My vote is for Sony Ericsson.

Have a look on this Geekzone article: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=908 from May 2003.

Hmmm... combine that with Foo Fighter's musings (http://www.pocketfactory.com/archives/000115.html) that Sony might dump its PDA business next year, and the imagination draws some interesting conclusions...

Jason Dunn
10-02-2003, 10:09 PM
I'll choke on my own tongue if it's Sony Ericcson...I just don't see that happening. Then again, it depends on how much Sony's culture rules at SE. Sony hates Microsoft, but perhaps SE has a more independent spirit and are willing to work with Microsoft?

Kris Kumar
10-02-2003, 10:19 PM
I am glad to see...that whatever MS folks had been talking about is coming true. I mean they have been saying that there will be a big PR push in fall..so its coming true.

ShivShanks
10-02-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm guessing it's a second-rate company but the amazing new feature will be true worldwide GSM+CDMA coverage.

Thats a good idea (GSM+CDMA Phone) but I doubt it would fly in the US. No US CDMA carrier would promote that phone since that would mean the customer could easily shift to a GSM competitor with just a SIM card. Problem is that you just can't get any CDMA phone and expect your CDMA carrier to allow you to use it. You have to buy the bl00dy phone from them. This misfeature of CDMA infuriates me to no end inspite of all the other superior features of CDMA. Anyway back to the topic on hand. If the GSM+CDMA phone doesn't sell in the US then its not really a world phone is it.
Secondly what good does this get Microsoft to promote it as the killer phone for Windows Mobile? The new exciting feature has to be something in conjunction with the Windows Mobile OS's capability. Thats what makes me thing its something that leverages Windows Media or something like that. No other phone that I know of seems to boast being able to record video.

greenmozart
10-02-2003, 10:47 PM
I must say I agree with those who say it will be a GSM phone - that's the only reason to have a UK-based PR firm tout a worldwide launch. I'll keep waiting for the i600 in the US.

Maybe Microsoft should move it's mobile division HQ to Europe! :evil:

freitasm
10-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Got an e-mail from my Microsoft contact - he said that the presentation the original magazine article referred to was done last month - and they presented the QTEK7070. He actually told me that the WM smartphone in NZ will have Bluetooth and comes next month.

But of course this can be disinformation schema. I'm following up this with another source.

By the way, I was told by Vodafone New Zealand there will be a WM on their network next month.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1553

kevin0406
10-03-2003, 02:20 AM

ViewSonic. :roll:

you didnt here it from me ; )

Kevin
evolution mobile
www.evmo.com

encece
10-03-2003, 03:11 AM
Tandy!

sebset
10-03-2003, 03:54 AM
kevin0406
Perhaps you are right ;)

The article says
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/10/02/HNmssmartphone_1.html
"We canīt reveal the company because of non-disclosure agreements, but I can say that it will be a global launch and that the manufacturer has a range of Smartphones on the way," said Lewis Webb of the U.K. public relations company AxiCom.

I checked the list of AxiCom clients' and there isn't any phone manufacturer... But there is ViewSonic :D
http://www.axicom.com/clients/index.html

sebset
10-03-2003, 04:08 AM
But perhaps also HP or DELL... :D

David McNamee
10-03-2003, 04:17 AM
I checked the list of AxiCom clients' and there isn't any phone manufacturer... But there is ViewSonic :D
http://www.axicom.com/clients/index.html

...and they've got plenty of experience with Windows CE in their products. They sell Pocket PCs and Smart Displays - both of them CE devices.

sebset
10-03-2003, 04:26 AM
Yes, ViewSonic could be the manufacturer.

Kris Kumar
10-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Viewsonic doesnt seem to fit the following profile from the article "The Smartphone, which is being produced by "a company with considerable experience of the wireless space,"

Does Viewsonic have a pocket pc phone edition? The only wireless stuff they offer are those Smart Displays and Tablet PCs...

Anyway...could it be Audiovox..they are into pocket pc phone edition...but they are a player in US...and this is UK based launch...so I guess Audiovox is out too...

Anyway...Microsoft if building up a nice PR buzz by not releasing the name :-)

rbrome
10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Thats a good idea (GSM+CDMA Phone) but I doubt it would fly in the US. No US CDMA carrier would promote that phone since that would mean the customer could easily shift to a GSM competitor with just a SIM card.

Not necessarily. In fact, Verizon is actively asking manufacturers to make GSM/CDMA phones for them. It will happen, and Verizon will carry them.

Why? Because Vodafone (massive GSM carrier overseas) is a very large stakeholder in Verizon Wireless, and it frustrates them to no end that Verizon won't switch to GSM. Vodafone is very intent on having a presence and offering service worldwide. That means GSM/CDMA phones, which will probably be co-branded Verizon/Vodafone.

What's the catch? The phones will probably (my guess) have CDMA 800/1900 combined with GSM 900/1800. Those are the European GSM bands. So the phone work in CDMA mode in North America, but GSM mode overseas. It would not work in GSM mode on U.S. frequencies, neatly avoiding the problem you mentioned.

rbrome
10-03-2003, 07:53 AM
[quote="kris_kumar"]...
Anyway...could it be Audiovox..they are into pocket pc phone edition...but they are a player in US...and this is UK based launch...so I guess Audiovox is out too...quote]

Audiovox is technically not a manufacturer. They brand and distribute phones made by Toshiba, Pantech & Curitel, and Sharp.

Any of those three are possibilities. If that's the case, then the phone might be released by Audiovox, but that would only apply to the U.S. version of this "worldwide" product.

Graffiti
10-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Siemens!?

I am going with Arne here. Siemens is lagging behind the development of Smartphones, despite the fact that they had always been up there in launching new models.

This should be the break it sorely needs to jump up the charts.

David McNamee
10-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Just to toss more kindling on this little fire, here's some speculation from the Inquirerer.net (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11914). They float the theory that Psion could be a legitimate option.

Chronos
10-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Now that all the Segway's are being recalled, I was wondering what Dean Kamen was going to do to increase profitability.

Of course, a revolutionary MS SmartPhone! :lol:

mja8105
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
i have a feeling it is NINTENDO.

mja8105
10-03-2003, 04:21 PM
just kidding about the nintendo.. could it be the obvious?... SAMSUNG!

Matt
10-04-2003, 07:20 AM
'a company with considerable experience of the wireless space,'

A statement like this coming from a PR firm tells me this is a company that is new to telec(k)om, but does have some (most likely a small amount) of wireless experience (wi-fi/Bluetooth etc)

Looks like kevin0409 may be right about viewsonic, but it looks like he knows something we dont.

Rgds

Matt.

Ramin
10-04-2003, 05:05 PM
The Smartphone, which is being produced by "a company with considerable experience of the wireless space," will offer "some radical innovations," according to an e-mail invitation sent by a public relations company for the unnamed mobile handset manufacturer.

Possibly Siemens. Also, don't forget O2 which has considerable experience in the wireless space and has plans to launch a Smartphone sometime soon (http://www.MyO2Smartphone.com).

sebset
10-04-2003, 09:50 PM
This is the O2 smartphone.
http://www.smartphone2002.info

http://www.smartphone2002.info/modules/wysiwyg_editor/upload/O2-Smartphone.jpg

ShivShanks
10-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Well it does look like its one of the top mfrs. Paul Thurrot of WinInformant reports -
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=40438
Next Smartphone to Debut October 8

Microsoft will launch its next-generation Smartphone October 8 and will offer, for the first time, a slew of cell phone maker partners that will ship devices based on the new platform. To date, the reaction to Microsoft's Smartphone has been lukewarm at best among cell phone makers, but the quality of the new release has apparently changed some minds, including those that matter at one of the largest, but as-yet-unnamed, cell phone makers. Stay tuned.

That can only mean Samsung or Sony Ericsson. There is no other possibility. I'm leaning towards Sony Ericsson because they have been as yet unnamed. Samsung after all has already been mentioned as a SmartPhone partner.

David McNamee
10-05-2003, 01:03 AM
Well it does look like its one of the top mfrs. Paul Thurrot of WinInformant reports -
http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=40438

Whatever it is, I hope that it's orderable on October 9th!

sebset
10-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Guys,

When I read "but the quality of the new release has apparently changed some minds, including those that matter at one of the largest, but as-yet-unnamed, cell phone makers." I don't know what to think now...

Perhaps it will be ViewSonic or perhaps Psion or Samsung or SE or even HP... and why not Dell????

What a suspens! (I love this :P )

mar2k
10-05-2003, 05:19 AM
What about Asus? They have had a Smartphone in the works for a while now and the prototype seemed to have the best all-around specs on paper of any Smartphone to date - XScale, camera, Bluetooth...they have been quiet for a while....

All I know it is definitely a GSM phone if it is being introduced in the UK. Worldwide release sounds intriguing though, so hopefully this means a US 850/1900 version will be available, whoever it is.

bradkap
10-05-2003, 12:33 PM
a friend of mine who works for HP was told to get rid of his Blackberry in preparation for the HP introduction of a MS Smartphone. I think HP is the mystery company and I think that the phones will be sold unlocked. I guess time will tell.

David Hughes
10-05-2003, 04:01 PM
It's the SPV E100.

freitasm
10-05-2003, 09:52 PM
a friend of mine who works for HP was told to get rid of his Blackberry in preparation for the HP introduction of a MS Smartphone. I think HP is the mystery company and I think that the phones will be sold unlocked. I guess time will tell.

But what's HP experience with mobile, as said in the original article?

Anyway, some thought of Siemens... I had a chat with someone from Vodafone NZ last week and he said "are you looking into Siemens" on an unrelated matter.

Well, just curious, because of this reference, so I called the Siemens NZ contact I have and she said "nope, not us - I know of these rumours, but we're commited to Symbian. We don't have plans for the MS platform, but we can't discard it either.".

Not she denied the first part "Is that you?" but openened a chance for the future.

But of course this is not official... :wink:

mar2k
10-07-2003, 05:03 AM
How about LG or NEC?

Also from WinInformant.com:

Microsoft will launch its next-generation Smartphone October 8 and will offer, for the first time, a slew of cell phone maker partners that will ship devices based on the new platform. To date, the reaction to Microsoft's Smartphone has been lukewarm at best among cell phone makers, but the quality of the new release has apparently changed some minds, including those that matter at one of the largest, but as-yet-unnamed, cell phone makers. Stay tuned.

This implies that October 8 is the official launch of Smartphone 2003 (yes I know its Windows Mobile for Smartphone 2003) - am I misinterpreting this?

David McNamee
10-07-2003, 02:32 PM
This implies that October 8 is the official launch of Smartphone 2003 (yes I know its Windows Mobile for Smartphone 2003) - am I misinterpreting this?

Maybe not, but I certainly would have expected a bigger hype-fest leading up to it.

David McNamee
10-07-2003, 02:32 PM

Maybe not, but I certainly would have expected a bigger hype-fest leading up to it.